Ultimate Facebook Sets New Users' Role as Administrator

I installed the Ultimate Facebook plugin on my BuddyPress site and found that new users were given the Administrator role by default, even though in the WordPress settings it is set to make new users Subscribers. Have you ever seen something like this? Any help you can provide is appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers

How do you have the Facebook plugin installed?

Is it per site or "Network Activate"?

I only activate mine per site because it won't work well with the domain mapper plugin due to Facebooks restraint on the domain it authenticates against and its not something I want all users to have because they may not enter their own details thus resulting in errors for end users when signing on.

Just checking so I can try to duplicate your install for testing. :slight_smile:

• RDean

I must admit, I don't quite understand your question. I re-activated the plugin and checked the settings and don't see anything about a per site or "Network Activate"

Of course, now I'm seeing different problems with the plugin. Now it doesn't seem to work at all. When someone registers through Facebook, after the FB dialog completes, they are sent right back to the registration page. They are not logged in. They are sent no confirmation email (as they should be per another plugin). And their is no record of them in the users area of WordPress Admin.

I obviously have something messed up, though I have no idea what it is.

The site is http://www.charlesrhobbs.com. I'm using Genesis with their child theme called Education if that helps.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the situation.

• Timothy Bowers

Sorry, let me clarify.

With WordPress you can run a multisite whereby people can have their own websites, or you could run a number of websites with one install of WordPress for your own needs. Each website can have its own domain name with the use of a plugin.

So you can activate a plugin for one website (per site) or in the network admin you can enable it for all websites on that install.

I went to your site and tested, I see your issue.

I don't get this on my install. Could you try:

First removing the plugin and uploading a fresh copy, ensuring it all uploads fully.
    If the problem is still there, then try deactivating all your plugins and see if it works then.
    If it does then re-enable each plugin until your find the one causing the issue.
    It it still doesn't work then try using the default Twenty Eleven theme.

Also ensure your plugins are up to date.

Let us know how you get on.

• RDean

Ok, so I deactivated all my plugins, but login thru Ultimate Facebook still didn't work.
    So then I changed to the default Wordpress theme, Twenty Eleven, and it did work. So it appears to be an issue with, or conflict with, Genesis.
    Any idea how we can address this?
    Are there any other users out there using the Ultimate Facebook plugin and the Genesis theme? Have any of you seen issues like this?
    Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Any idea how we can address this?

I don't personally use the genesis theme, nor have I ever. Without looking at the cause it would be hard to give a solution.

I will let the developer of this plugin know, he maybe able to offer a better answer than I.

Have any of you seen issues like this?

It can happen often with all different types of plugins and themes where functions clash causing issues. Working in such a diverse community (the whole of WordPress) where there are many developers and people contributing can lead to the occasional issue.

This is the reason people will advise to try disabling plugins and using the default theme first, this helps refine the environment where developers work with those in mind.

• Mason

Hiya,

Well, I'm glad you found a working solution - it is curious though. I've just tested an installation with the latest Genesis/Education child theme, WordPress 3.3, and Ultimate Facebook. I was able to login via facebook without fail in both Firefox and Chrome.

The missing piece on my install may be the BuddyPress element. I don't have access to Genesis connect so can't test that bit. Also, wondering what browser you were seeing these errors in?

If you're interested in getting it sorted, I'm happy to help. Otherwise, we can mark this one resolved as the issue isn't yet duplicated.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.