Ultimate Facebook settings won't update. Hangs on "Checking API Settings"

We've been having issues with people unable to update their settings for the Ultimate Facebook plugin. It seems to be related to the fact that it hangs on "Checking API Settings". So far, it fails every time in the edge browser and internet explorer, and happens intermittently in chrome (though once it goes to "Successfully connected to NTM Blogs", then it doesn't fail anymore). I just updated to the most recent version of the plugin (2.8.1) and are on WordPress 4.2.5

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @NTM Web Team, Michael here! :slight_smile:

I'd like to have a closer look at how you've got this set up on your Multisite, could you please enable Support Access?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Also, could you elaborate a bit the steps taken, so I can see about reproducing this on my own test Multisite? What version of Internet Explorer does this seem to fail in?

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• NTM Web Team
    • Flash Drive

Ok, I've enabled support access on the multisite blog at beta.ntm.org

To reproduce the problem, use the edge browser on Windows 10 (or IE 11.0.10240.16431) and head to beta.ntm.org/stephen-narwold/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wdfb (or the equivalent on your blog). The line above "App ID / API key" will (probably) stay stuck on "Checking API Settings" and any "save changes" buttons you click simply bring you back to the top of the page (on refresh, the changes will not actually be saved)

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @NTM Web Team,

I do see what you mean over on your site, but I've been unable to replicate over on my own test site so far.

It does look like we'll need a deeper look under the hood on your beta site, could you please send in the following for it via our secure contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @NTM Web Team, thanks for sending those in! :slight_smile:

After digging into this further, I've narrowed the problem down to these two files:

/wp-content/plugins/ntm_cf.php
    /wp-content/plugins/ntm_cf_script.js

When those are active, then I see the problems you've been running into, both on IE 11 & on the Edge browser. Once I remove them, though, then I'm able to edit the settings properly (both on the subsite you mentioned, as well as inside the Network Dashboard).

This file in particular is what's causing the problem, as it's introducing script errors (they're rather simple, though, simply saying "SCRIPT5: Access is denied."):

/wp-content/plugins/ntm_cf_script.js

I did notice though that it gets loaded on every single admin page, whereas it seems like it's only needed to be loaded on admin pages related to editing posts?

This would be something that I'd want to contact the developers of that script for, as with it in place, it's going to keep causing problems with the settings pages like this (as it's interfering with the connection with Facebook).

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.