Ultimate Facebook usage clarification

Looking at using this plugin on a site but I have a question.

When someone is already a user on the site, what is the process that will allow them to login using facebook which will link it to their existing account? Every time I try it I end up with a new user created which is of course not the way we want things to go.

I have used facebook connect on other sites in other ways and haven't had this issue but I have always coded this functionality in manually.

I would like to make the use of this feature as painless as possible for new users and especially existing users.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

I've just done a test to really check how this works and here's what I've found.

A user's Facebook account will be associated with their pre-existing WP account by doing the following;
    - log out of the WordPress site
    - log back in using Facebook.

It works because WP has left a cookie so it knows who you are still and as such when you log in with Facebook, the plugin assumes it's the same person using their Facebook account.

Hope that helps!

Phil

• idevguy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Odd.. I don't get that behavior at all... When using Chrome if I login in normally and log out then click login with facebook it still makes a new account and auto sets the username as firstname_lastname using my facebook details... And whats with the completely insane list of permissions it requests? thats gotta be enough to scare off about 90% of the people that would want to use it.

when trying from firefox it asks me to grant permissions, does the little wait icon thing and never leaves the login page.

Also, I don't think relying on a cookie to handle this is the way to go, suppose my grandmother logs in at home then is at the senior center for Bingo night and uses the computer there and clicks on "login with facebook" etc etc etc

It's difficult to diagnose issues with this plugin when there is no documentation explaining exactly how its supposed to work in the first place :slight_smile:

• idevguy

hmm, what portion of the user account / facebook account does it compare to see if the user is an existing user? If it's based on email comparison that could be the problem in my case.. I have a different email for facebook than I do for this particular site (and many others)

I guess maybe a poll is needed, I wonder if more people are like me and use multiple email addresses or if the majority of people only have one??

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I know there is an update coming for the permissions bit so look out for that....

I was also using Chrome and the cookie bit is WordPress but Ultimate Facebook presumably hooks into that, I'm not 100% on the code there.

It's definitely not e-mail comparison as my FB account uses a different e-mail address to the WP user account I did my test above on.

I'll ask the developer to comment on this, 'cause it is complex.

• idevguy

strange, when I updated my facebook email address to match the email I used on that site it worked as expected lol... so yeah, some clarification would be awesome.. and maybe a short set of instructions that show on the login page by the button so people know what to do/expect as well would help..

gotta build these things to the lowest common denominator, remembering that some people can barely turn on their computers :slight_smile:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi idevguy,

Sorry for the delay here, but just to clarify, the plugin does appear to use the Facebook email for the WordPress email account when using the automatic account creation upon login feature.

That is the feature you were referring to, correct?

Thanks,
    David

• idevguy

Thanks for the reply... I figured the email part out but my main question that remains is the ridiculous permissions this asks for at registration... Phil said "I know there is an update coming for the permissions bit so look out for that...." on Sept. 9th

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The plugin does a lot of Facebook-related stuff (including a lot of publishing), so it originally just defaulted to asking all the permissions it may need. The list really is quite large and there were other users complaining about the permissions list as well, so in the latest release, we're trying to set up a granular permissions framework. It's a bit tricky and it took a while to conceptualize, as there is a lot of the functionality in different places that requires different permission levels, but it's a start and we'll be expanding on this taking any feedback into account.

Essentially, we now ask for permissions as we need them, and we tried to make it as seamless as possible. This means that when an user is registered at the site, it is only asked for basic set of permissions (for now, profile data - including religion, politics and such as we need it for potential profile mapping - and email). If the user also has enough privileges on WordPress publish posts, (s)he can grant additional privileges with the Dashboard widget or in the plugin settings. In fact, the dashboard widget (for all users, including non-admin users) and plugin settings (for admin users) are places where the user grants most of the needed privileges. Additionally, for Albums and Events widgets, the user can grant privileges for accessing those when adding widgets to the sidebar.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if this is now resolved.

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!
    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.