Ultimate Translate Issue

Hello,

I write my blog in English and wanted it translated to Spanish. I only selected Spanish in the languages to translate, edited a page, and then previewed it. It showed up in Spanish and the widget only showed Spanish as the available language.

I went back to the settings and added English to the languages to translate. But every time I go to the settings for the plugin, I get this message: Attention: You have made setting changes that affect the rewrite rules for all blogs. Click below to rebuild the rewrite rules for all sites.

I click rebuild but nothing appears to happen. After a while, I click close.

I figured out there was a “default” option in the drop down and so removed “English”. I’m still getting the rebuild message.

1) Why am I still getting the message?

2) Is it possible for the translator to include the text in widgets?

3) Can I use country flags instead of the drop down?

4) When I select the Spanish version of the page, the language selection widget sometimes disappears.

5) When I view the translated page, I can see the shortcodes on the page – they are not rendering as they are supposed to. It appears perhaps that the translator is translating on the fly? If so, it should translate before the shortcodes so they will continue to work.

6) Is it possible to edit the translated text? I have an employee that speaks Spanish so I was hoping the translation process would just help speed up the manual labor. I understand this isn’t possible if the translation is done on the fly.

7) Does the translator also translate the text in the excerpt? My theme uses that in a few places.

Thanks,

Andrew

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello Andrew,

I’ll respond to your questions inline.

1) Why am I still getting the message?

I’ll have to check on that one. Are you using the latest version of the plugin and WordPress?

2) Is it possible for the translator to include the text in widgets?

It can only translate the post and page content at this point and not the widget areas.

3) Can I use country flags instead of the drop down?

The plugin itself doesn’t provide an option to that effect though you might consider getting that done as custom work via the job board. https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

4) When I select the Spanish version of the page, the language selection widget sometimes disappears.

Could you maybe give that a try using the default Twenty Ten theme and let us know if the issue persists?

5) When I view the translated page, I can see the shortcodes on the page – they are not rendering as they are supposed to. It appears perhaps that the translator is translating on the fly? If so, it should translate before the shortcodes so they will continue to work.

Would that be any and all shortcodes? I’ll give that a good test also but I was wondering if you’d found any shortcodes that did work with it?

6) Is it possible to edit the translated text? I have an employee that speaks Spanish so I was hoping the translation process would just help speed up the manual labor. I understand this isn’t possible if the translation is done on the fly.

I’m afraid there’s not a way to edit the translated text.

7) Does the translator also translate the text in the excerpt? My theme uses that in a few places.

Good question. I haven’t tried excerpts outside of the post archives but I’ll give that a try in my testing the first few items.

Cheers,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Andrew, having gone through a few different tests with the Rebuild button, I’m experiencing the same, with the button not going until the Close button is pressed. I’m going to notify the developers on this.

I haven’t heard back from you regarding the widget and version you’re using though. Could you give that Twenty Ten theme a try as I mentioned, so we could at least eliminate any theme conflict?

• AndrewTraub
    • The Crimson Coder

Sorry about the delay David.

I’m using version 1.0.6 of the translate plug-in.

The widget is also not showing up (perhaps because of the translate issue and the rebuild button).

I switched to 2010 theme and still had the issue with the widget not showing.

When I switched my theme back my widgets were lost :slight_frown: including a complex text widget.

Andrew

• AndrewTraub
    • The Crimson Coder

So the translation widget is not showing up – instead I’m getting the “Attention: You have made setting changes that affect the rewrite rules for all blogs. Click below to rebuild the rewrite rules for all sites.” message all the time.

Andrew

• roback
    • New Recruit

This rebuild seems to be a major recurring issue for everyone.

I have tried to adjust in both IE8 and FF, but no luck. Rebuild doesn’t do anything and probably as a result the spanish pages are not showing up.

For a premium plugin in service this is very disappointing!

Hope this gets resolved SOON!

Rob

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know, the developers are taking a look into this matter. My own test site in this case was via a shared hosting plan with very limited resources whereas the plugin can be rather resource intensive. I’ve since tested on a server with more resources available and it worked perfectly well there.

That said, these test cases will still vary from your own. I just wanted to report my further investigations and let you know the matter is being looked at.

Thanks,

David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Thanks for your continued patience. We’re looking at a really thorough rewrite here as this plugin seems to have missed out on some TLC for awhile. It IS in the works and we’ll update here and through the Update Notifications plugin as soon as it’s available.

Thanks again!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Ovidiu and everyone,

Unfortunately, this plugin is now in the process of being phased out. We won’t be updating it for the upcoming release of WordPress 3.2.

There are many reasons for this, the main one being the fact that it relies on Google’s Translation API to do it’s magic – which Google is shutting down:

http://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/overview.html

It’s a bummer as it was a handy little plugin, but was never widely used here. If there’s enough demand for it and we’re able to find an alternate solution we’ll revisit the idea, but for now we have no plans to do so.

Thanks.

• AndrewTraub
    • The Crimson Coder

Bummer and thanks for letting us know.

Is there a suggested method to add translations to a website by hand? I would like to have an employee create the translations and like the idea of putting them in a directory called ES but don’t know how to go about doing that.

Thanks,

Andrew

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings again :slight_smile:

adding to my previous post – is is handy for adding manual translations and is therefore in this case not dependent upon Google API – I love how it adds the buttons at the bottom of the post to manually add translations.

Therefore I think it should be revived in this capacity since as I mentioned it works great for this purpose :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.