Unable to add dropbox as destination folder

I'm trying to establish Dropbox as my snapshot destination. After authorizing dropbox, the screen returns to WP showing Authorized, as can be seen in the screen capture. Yet when I try to add a new snapshot, the dropbox destination does not appear in the drop down under "where to save the archive".

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Nygil,

Just to be sure, have you already checked to see that a conflict isn't taking place here?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

I'm seeing that the dropdown is working properly on my test site, and I'm curious as to whether something's interfering here.

Also, could you try updating to the latest version of WordPress please, to see if that makes a difference?

If none of that gets us anywhere, could you enable Support Access to your site, so that I can have a closer look?

We've got a handy guide available on how you can do this, let me get the link to it here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked through the getting-support manuals, but didn't see anything related. I do not in fact have the latest WP version 4.0, and have been intending to install it once I can do a proper backup of my site. Until now however, the previous free plugin WPDB backup I had installed wasn't working, and there hasn't been a back up for a month, which is why I installed Snapshot to begin with, so that I could back up my site before updating to WP 4.0. With that in mind, should I go ahead and enable Support Access, or do you think it's better to install WP 4.0 first?

Thanks again

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi again Michael,

I wanted to check in again and see what you thought of my question in the previous post, of whether I should risk installing WP 4.0 even though I haven't done a back up in over a month, or if I should enable Support Access first.

Thanks

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ash,

I apologize for taking so long to respond, I've been traveling for work. Thanks so much for offering to take a closer look. I've enabled Support Access just now. And yes, feel free to try your dropbox account with my site if that helps solve the problem.

Thanks again!

Nygil

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

It seems an error is produced.

Would you please enable debug mode and check if any error is shown in that page?

To enable debug mode please edit a line in your wp-config.php:
    Change

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

to

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then try to add dropbox account and you will some errors on there. Please let us know what are the errors.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Nygil

You need to login via ftp or file manager in cpanel. Then in the root you will see three folder and some files. One of those files is wp-config.php.

- wp-admin/
    - wp-content/
    - wp-includes/
    -
    -
    -
    -
    wp-config.php
    and some other files.

Please let us know if you can get there.

Cheers
    Ash

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I opened the file using Text Edit, changed the line from false to true, and then saved the file. Then I went through the same process of adding dropbox as before but I don't see any error messages. Then I went back to the php file and saw that the change I made is no longer there. This is taking up more and more time. What other options are there? If the google drive free account is 15 GB, is that enough for my backups? Can I just install Google drive and try that?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Nygil

Maybe it's a dumb question, but usually we do this mistake, after making changes in wp-config.php did you upload the file again?

About google drive, 15GB is enough for a medium level site but I think this error is not related to dropbox but saving the option or connecting to remote server. I think this is a timeout or memory issue but can't confirm before seeing errors :slight_frown:

Please let us know.

Cheers
    Ash

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ash,

Actually, that's a very smart question, as the answer is no, I didn't upload the file again as I had no idea that was required. I don't even know how to do that to be honest. Could you explain it for me? Or, is there any way we could set up something over a live chat while I explain to you what's happening and you walk me through the steps? I feel like we could solve the problem much more quickly if done live, over skype for example.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Nygil

We don't provide support over skype, but we have live chat sessions here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/

Would you please send me your ftp details and enable support access again?

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ash,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've been on a business trip for several weeks. I've granted support access again, and have pasted in the ftp details (at least what I think are the details) along withe a link to this thread in the contact form you described above. Let me know if you need something different.

Thanks,

Nygil

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Andre,

Thanks for checking in. I sent Ash the password the same moment I posted the above note for him. Tim from Accounts and Billing responded to my Contact form, and said he would pass on the password immediately to Ash.

Ash has been very patient with me, and it's not his fault that this is taking so long, but I'm now having trouble with my uploads, which I imagine is due to not having the latest WP version. So neither my latest blog entries, nor uploaded photos show up, but I don't want to risk updating WP if I don't have a back up in place, and I'm starting to get a bit anxious. Should I go to the 24 hour chat to speed things up?

Thanks for your help

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Nygil

Your support access is expired :slight_frown:

To make it easy for us, would you please send me the wordpress admin login, ftp host, ftp username and ftp password using that contact form again?

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Nygil
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi again Ash,

The good news is that I was able to do a back up locally through the live chat help, and then upgrade to WP 4.0, which solved the problem of not being able to add dropbox. So it's working now.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.