Unable to cancel Membership 2 subscription for admin user

I can’t cancel subscription for admin user on the Membership 2 plugin. When I set the user subscription status to deactivated and click save changes, it never saved.

• Katya Tsihotska
    • Support & QA

Hi Phillip Roru

Hope you had a wonderful day!

I've investigated your site and found that one of the javascript files doesn't load correctly, it may cause the issue with admin subscription, and maybe even other issues you have with Membership 2.

I was able to replicate the same error on my end, so I confirm it is a bug and I will report our developers about it and they would fix it in the next version of Membership plugin.

Meantime, I provide you with a hotfix, and we can look if it solves your issue. Please unzip the attached file, and upload to the wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller/ folder via FTP and overwrite the existing class-ms-controller-plugin.php file.

Let us know when you'll do it.

Best regards,

Katya

• Katya Tsihotska
    • Support & QA

Hi Phillip Roru

Hope you are doing well today.

I’ve checked your site one more time. There are no errors in browser console anymore, but it still not works. This is going to require some deeper debugging in order to resolve this issue. In order to do this, I need a little more information.

Can you please provide me with access to that server so I can perform more advanced debugging?

You can send us your details through our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: “Attn: Katya Tsihotska”

-FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-link back to this thread for reference

-any other relevant URLs

Please use this subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Best regards,

Katya

• Katya Tsihotska
    • Support & QA

Hi Phillip Roru

I’ve run some additional tests on your site, including enabling debug. I’m not finding any errors related to this. I’m going to ping our SLS team (our code experts) to get their valuable feedback on this. Since this is a bit more of an advanced query, it may take a little bit longer to get a reply back about this, but one of us will post back with feedback as soon as possible.

I’m so sorry to about the inconvenience you are having.

Best regards,

Katya

• Lindeni Mahlalela
    • Recruit

Hello Philip,

I hope you are great today. I have noticed that you have also reported the issue with cancelling subscriptions for super admin user on this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership2-subscription-issues, these issues are related so I suggest we keep the conversation on one thread for easier tracking and efficiency in our support. Please keep in mind that opening more than one thread for the same issue will only divide our resources and thus make it harder for us to help you.

We must continue this on one thread and close the other one, please advice.

I am still on the troubleshooting for process here. So please enable support access again on your site, I know you have already created an admin account for us but I also need to see how things look like when logged in as the super admin having issues.

Have a nice day.

Cheers,

Mahlamusa

• Lindeni Mahlalela
    • Recruit

Hello Philip

Thank you for granting access. I am looking into this.

The super admin in question is me. One of the problems is that I can't cancel my subscription to that particular membership.

I have done some further digging on the database and have noticed there is a mix of data between the super admin and the user 'bartolo'. There is a subscription with ID 182 for user 2 subscribing to Plus membership, but then in some other data it appears that the same subscription (referenced by ID 182) is for the super admin. This is a rather strange mix of data and I can't be sure how it came about. See the screenshots:

Subscription data:> user_id: 2, user_name: bartolo, membership: Plus (ID 173), subscription ID: 182

Subscription data: user_id:1, user_name: amo_houston, membership: Plus (ID 173), subscription ID: 182

The subscription is already expired. The issue here is that the data is mixed, how? I can't figure that one out. But for the plugin to be able to cancel a subscription it needs the correct data (user_id, subscription ID, and membership ID) but it fails because the user_id of the super admin is not linked to the subscription in the database.

I also found that there are some other memberships that have been deleted along with some other test subscriptions. The data mostly links to the user_id = 2 and it seems it was a trial that expired on '

2017-05-21'. I can't figure out how this user's data got mixed up with that of the super admin.

The only way that seems doable is to clear the residual data that overlaps between the two users on the database. Before this is done, a backup of the database has to be taken, especially the posts and postmeta tables. Please let us know if you need help doing this, we can help if you need this to be done on our side. Removing the residual data will delete the subscription for the user.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further issues.

Have a nice day.

Cheers,

Mahlamusa

• Lindeni Mahlalela
    • Recruit

Hello Philip,

I went ahead and deleted the super admin’s subscription and cleared all residual data on the database. I hope now that things should work as usual but please test on your side and see if things seems to be as they should on the membership platform.

Let us know if anything is wrong and I will be able to restore today’s backup, the one I created before deleting the data i had to delete. Please note that what I have is a tiny fraction of the database and you should always keep your own full backups before you do anything in addition to what I have done.

Please confirm on the /account page that everything looks normal when logged in as the super admin. You should see all memberships showing the ‘signup’ button since the super admin is no longer subscribed to anything.

One last thing to do is to check on Stripe if you still have an active subscription for the membership and cancel it from there otherwise you may be billed again if that subscription is still active. Please note that deleting data manually on the database like the way I did will not trigger any API calls to cancel subscriptions on the payment gateway, so please double check.

I hope this helps resolves the problem.

Cheers,

Mahlamusa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.