Unable to change website URL from subfolder to root of site

Several days ago I moved my development site from a subfolder:
nationalchristianchoir.org/wp
to the web serving root
nationalchristianchoir.org
by making adjustments to index.php and .htaccess.

I have been unable to delete and/or change my original (development) URL to the root URL. Since I can't make this change, Snapshots are not working anymore. I have tried deleting the development URL, but it keeps on re-appearing.

Can you help?

• Vaughan

Hi Steve,

Hope you're well?

I'm going to need a closer look at this.

Can you send your details using the following contact form (select i have a different question from the dropdown.)

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Mark for attn: Vaughan
    Include a ref URL to this thread.

Please include the following details;
    - Site login details (super-admin if on multisite)
    - FTP login details so I can take a look at the theme/plugin files.
    - CPanel/Phpmyadmin credentials in case I need to check the DB.

Thanks

• Rupok

Hi steve206

Hope you had a wonderful day.

I hope you don't mind me chipping in here. I check the credentials you sent, but unfortunately they were not working. Using your WordPress login credentials is saying "ERROR: Invalid username". And when I tried to login with your FTP Credentials, I'm getting this:

Status:      	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 	220 ProFTPD 1.3.5b Server (ProFTPD) [216.XXX.XXX.32]
    Command:	AUTH TLS
    Response: 	234 AUTH TLS successful
    Error:        	Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
    Error:        	Could not connect to server

So, can you please send me message with *working* FTP and WP access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - WordPress admin Username
    - WordPress admin Password
    - Login URL
    - FTP Username
    - FTP Password
    - FTP Host
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

In the mean time you check these and send us working credentials, can you follow the steps below if you have *Single WordPress Installation* on this subdirectory?

# Go to Dashboard > Settings > General and change both "WordPress Address (URL)" and "Site Address (URL)" to "nationalchristianchoir.org" from "nationalchristianchoir.org/wp". Save. As soon as you save, your site will ask you to login, but will fail, because it will start looking for files in your root directory. Don't worry.

# Now login with FTP and move all your files from that subdirectory to root directory. Now go to "nationalchristianchoir.org/wp-admin/" and you should be able to login successfully on your root domain. And you are done migrating to root directory.

But if you have a multi site, the process will be complicated. Please confirm. If I could login in your Dashboard, I could be sure if you have a multisite or not.

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Steve

Website URL can't be changed and the WP installation should remain in /wp subdirectory. I must be able to access files in the root directory from the WP installation in the subdirectory. If this is changed, portions of the website will not function correctly. The "old" site is at the root and I need these files to remain accessible. It looks like this must be treated as multisite.

Well, the situation is really complex. If I understood it right, you are trying to access your site which is now at "wp" folder inside root folder by going to "nationalchristianchoir.org", right? If this is the scenario, I can try giving you .htaccess code which will forward all incoming requests to "nationalchristianchoir.org/wp" but in that case, I don't think it will help much, because in that case, when "portions" of your website which calls main domain for files, won't be able to access those.

IMHO, the most optimum way will be:
    # Take backup of all necessary files in your root folder and download them on your computer.
    # Move all files (actually your whole site) from "wp" folder to root folder and completely migrate your site (inside wp folder) to your new location (root folder).
    # Create a new directory called "old" and copy your backup files to that folder.
    # Now adjust all portions of your site which would require previous files on your site so they look into the new location instead of looking at one step back.

What do you suggest?

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• steve206

Rupok,

Thanks for replying.

None of my other licensed plugins require such extreme changes to accommodate the site's "root" location. They simply recognize that their license now applies to "site.org" rather than "site.org/wp," even though the WP installation is in "site.org/wp." I understand that in your opinion moving WP into the root is the way to go, even though many people run it from a subdirectory using the same technique I am using.

All that I am trying to do is get wpmudev to recognize the change in the URL to maintain the function of the plugins, in this case Snapshot Pro. Are you implying that my license with wpmudev will not work with my current setup? I need to know.

Steve

• Rupok

Hi steve206

Are you implying that my license with wpmudev will not work with my current setup? I need to know

No! You have "Elite" membership and your license will work on *any* domain/subdomain/subfolder as long as you register that site with us. If you have even 100+ sites registered with us, all of them will work under your current license. Don't worry about that.

I believe, I could not convey my solution to you properly. What I was suggesting was not in anyway related to your licensing. I suggested just an optimum way of how things can be done, but I do agree, this is not the *only* way and this might not be the *best* way, but I've talked with my fellow support staffs and we all thought, this could be a very good day of doing this. There might be better ways which is beyond my knowledge, but I could not find any when I searched in the internet. If you want to continue with your current setup, you are very welcome to continue, no problem at all.

Let's sort it out with your way then. You said:

I have tried deleting the development URL, but it keeps on re-appearing

Can you please mention from where you tried deleting the dev URL? Can you guide us the process by which we can see the issue? I mean how we can see the exact same issue with Snapshot Pro?

Since I can't make this change, Snapshots are not working anymore

Can you please provide exactly what error do you face while trying to use Snapshot? More details you can add, faster we can find the reason and solve the issue.

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• steve206

Rupok,

Thanks for getting back to me. wpmudev has listed my website as nationalchristianchoir.org/wp instead of nationalchristianchoir. Yes, the subdirectory is the WP location, but not the site location. Perhaps this is not an issue, but after configuring the site to the root, snapshots stopped working. In any event, I am reauthorizing my Google Drive (offsite snapshot backup location) to see if that helps. I will let you know.

Steve