Unable to comment on wiki discussion section

When attempting to leave comments on the Discussion section for any Wiki page, I get the following error: Sorry, comments are closed for this item.

I tried this for several wiki pages and got the same result. I verified that comments were enabled for each. Disabling comments for a wiki page caused the Discussion tab to be removed. Re-enabling comments caused the Discussion tab to reappear, but commenting still produces the error.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

I tried this for several wiki pages and got the same result. I verified that comments were enabled for each. Disabling comments for a wiki page caused the Discussion tab to be removed. Re-enabling comments caused the Discussion tab to reappear, but commenting still produces the error.

Have you checked that comments are enabled in the regular admin section?

Admin dashboard --> Settings --> Discussion --> Default article settings

Check mark - "Allow people to post comments on new articles"

In addition, check that on individual posts that the comments are allowed, check the screen options to show the comments field in the post and see if it is checked to allow comments.

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

I have tested this out in our development environment and unfortunately I cannot replicate the issue.

Have you gone through the standard troubleshooting technique of disabling all plugins and switching to the Twenty Eleven theme to see if the issue still exists?

• godot
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Joe,

Deactivating all plugins did not correct the problem, but switching from BlogsMU to the default Buddypress theme did correct it. I then tested this functionality with the main BlogsMU theme activated, rather than my BlogsMU child theme, to ensure that none of my modifications were responsible.

It looks like there is an incompatibility between the Wiki plugin and the BlogsMU theme.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

Thank you so very much for going through the troubleshooting sequence and finding where the problem exists - it is truly appreciated.

Now comes the issue of the chicken and the egg - which one came first or rather which one should be addressed to fix this issue if not both.

In summary you and I have worked together to figure out there is a conflict between between the Wiki plugin and the Blogs MU theme in which the developers need to be notified of for us to be able to resolve this issue.

I shall go ahead and start with the lead developer of the Wiki plugin due to the fact that you chose this first as believing where the problem is emanating from.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.