Snapshot: Unable to delete the plugin

Hello.

I wanted a plugin that was able to make a real snapshot of my whole site.

I've installed this SnapShot then.

I've tried to create a snapshot and realized that it only makes a snapshot of the DB (at least, the options only ask for tables to backup).

Besides the fact that I get file IO errors, what SnapShot does isn't what I was looking for, so I decided to disable and delete the plugin.

Disabling worked, but when trying to delete it I get a 500 error.

These are the latest 3 errors from the log, but I'm not sure if they are related to the deleting error of to the not working plugin:

[06-Apr-2012 08:24:25] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function  snapshot_recursive_rmdir() in /home2/sciamann/public_html/dev.tamtando.com/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/snapshot_utilities.php on line 781
[06-Apr-2012 08:24:34] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function  snapshot_recursive_rmdir() in /home2/sciamann/public_html/dev.tamtando.com/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/snapshot_utilities.php on line 781
[06-Apr-2012 08:24:55] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function  snapshot_recursive_rmdir() in /home2/sciamann/public_html/dev.tamtando.com/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/snapshot_utilities.php on line 781

Now, I know I could simply delete the folder, but I want all DB leftovers removed and this won't be done if I delete the folder.

Please assist.

• ThePath

Hey sciamannikoo

How did you upload the plugin...kinda seems like if it wasnt working right there may have been something missing.

make a real snapshot of my whole site.

Pretty much your DB is your whole site. It contains all the data that appears on your site. Leaving only theme files and media to be backed up.

There are a few of these DB backup plugins about and they are quite useful to save time and generate a handy backup while you are there in the backend. But nothing beats loging into your hosting cp and making a good old file backup every now and again.

Does Snapshot have the function to automatically take backups and email them over...Im sure I had a plugin that did that on one of the sites Ive done.

Anyway my advice would be to reinstall and try deleting again if you are unhappy with it, see if that works.

Cheers

• sciamannikoo

How did you upload the plugin

I've installed it right after downloading the file from WPMUDEV.

Pretty much your DB is your whole site. It contains all the data that appears on your site. Leaving only theme files and media to be backed up.

I don't agree: theme and plugins are quite part of the whole site, not to mention the upload folder, wp-config.php and anything else is in the file system.

Does Snapshot have the function to automatically take backups and email them over...Im sure I had a plugin that did that on one of the sites Ive done.

I never complained about automatically take the backup and email them over, did I?

I was simply expecting that the word "SnapShot" was real and even tough you think that the DB is the whole site, is not. Calling this plugin "DB SnapShot" would make more clear its purpose.

Anyway the point wasn't reallt what this plugin does or does not, but more hot to delete it.
    Eventually I've realized that the backup issue was caused by the missing _backup folder.

There was indeed a warning in the settings page, but if I may suggest, a big red warning would be more noticeable.

About deleting it, I've tried to reinstall the plugin (this time, copying the files via FTP, since I was unable to do otherwise), but I'm still unable to delete it.

Enabling wordpress debug mode, I keep getting the same error message when deleting the plugin:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function snapshot_recursive_rmdir() in /home2/sciamann/public_html/dev.tamtando.com/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/snapshot_utilities.php on line 781

A very simple and quick check in the code at the line 781 made me find the actual issue: the snapshot_utility_recursive_rmdir() function is supposed to call itself recurively, but it actually tried to call the wrong function: snapshot_recursive_rmdir().

After editing the code, I was able to delete the plugin.

The issue has been solved.

Perhaps it could be a good idea to correct this bug in the official release.

• ThePath

I've installed it right after downloading the file from WPMUDEV.

Well that doesnt really answer my question. I meant did you upload the zip via the admin panel or did you unpack and upload via ftp?

not to mention the upload folder

I did mention the upload folder in the respect of mentioning "media". Granted theme files and plugins contribute to your site but these can be recovered from where you got them for the most part. If you have made extensive changes to them then no doubt you have a local backup anyway as its kinda clunky to make all your changes to themes and plugins via WP admin

I never complained about automatically take the backup and email them over, did I?

I realise this and I was not casting aspersions that you were, simply asking my own question.

I was simply expecting that the word "SnapShot" was real and even tough you think that the DB is the whole site, is not.

Snapshot simply means a glimpse or picture of something from the past. It doesnt claim to do anything but backup the DB: "simply take snapshots of all or any elements of your database". And the DB really is, if you lose that you have no site but you can lose your theme files or plugins files and just replace them, boom, site back online.

Calling this plugin "DB SnapShot" would make more clear its purpose.

We should rename Wordpress to "Internet Text and Media Publishing Software", kinda catchy :wink:

A very simple and quick check in the code at the line 781 made me find the actual issue: the snapshot_utility_recursive_rmdir() function is supposed to call itself recurively, but it actually tried to call the wrong function: snapshot_recursive_rmdir().

Good catch dude Im sure the devs will sort this asap.

Thanks Gina, just trying to help as always.

Cheers

• Paul

sciamannikoo, thanks for bringing this bug to my/our attention. I will address this immediately. As well as better indicators on the folder permissions.

As for the plugin name and usage we are planning to provide full site backups including files, images, basically everything in a future release. The original concept was not to provide a tool like backup buddy but something more lightweight were an admin can create a quick snapshot of their database before installing some complex plugin or theme. Then is needed they can simple roll back to the previous database version.

But after launching Snapshot many of the other users have requests a full backup/migration solution. Something that will backup to Dropbox, Amazon S3, remote FTP, Email. Scheduled backups. Migration of a site within Multisite to another Multisite install. Basically all the needed. This is coming.

• sciamannikoo

PaulM,

Thank you for your feedback.

About the upcoming features, from my own point of view, it would be enough to simply copy all files, along with the DB.

So, frankly the migration part, dropbox, amazon, etc. is even too much (and indeed, BackupBuddy does that already, as far as I know).

When I'm in need to migrate or clone a website (something I do especially when I need to make changes on a site that is already in production) I use a very handy bash script that requires to edit a configuration file with only few settings: very useful, at least as long as I work on the same server.

Anyway, thank you again: I look forward to see the future releases!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.