Unable to edit post/page

Can’t edit and save existing page/post. Getting error “Updating failed”.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Seductful ,

I could notice the issue in your Live website, and when temporarily disabling Defender could notice the page/post updates do work.

I tried to test this in the staging website but it works fine in the staging website without any issue even when Defender is enabled. Is it okay, if I reset the staging site? So that we could further troubleshoot the issue?

Just making sure whether you haven’t made any important changes in the staging before resetting it.

Please do let us know so that we could extensively troubleshoot the issue further. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

I trust you have the history of what has been tried to date but here is just a brief summary as best I can recall to save you needing to read through everything.

– Page updating after edit fails (not publishing after creating a page).
    – Disabling Defender and flushing Object Cache seems to work at times but only temporarily.
    – Plugins that were causing issues that have been deleted to date (but obviously hasn’t resolved the issue) include PMPro Strong Password and Nginx Helper.
    – Constantly being logged out of WPAdmin

The site isn’t live as yet so I’m working/developing in production. The staging site was created for Nastia to test things in a few days ago as I will only be making use of staging once the site goes live. I reset staging last-night but you are welcome to do it again should you need to and the login credential created in live and staging are the same for WPMUDEV. Which reminds me the Grant Support function also doesn’t seem to be working, hence I had to create the SuperAdmin user for WPMUDEV (I don’t know how it might relate to the actual issue, if at all…:wink:

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

Hi there WPMUDEV (Nithin)

Any update here as this issue is intermittently still occurring and rather frustrating as I constantly need to flush/purge all the caches before being able to successfully update a page.

Whilst on the topic, which included regularly being logged out of WPAdmin, would flushing the
    Cache (Object and Page) maybe not be the cause of that? (just an idea)

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Seductful ,

I’m sorry for the delay on our end.

We have reset the staging site so it matched now live site and on staging everything works perfectly. Posts/pages are updated, no errors when saving and the user is not logged out like on live site.
    Unfortunately, there are no errors in logs that would suggest why this is happening.
    In this case, I am going to escalate this to our Second Line Support Developers and they will investigate this issue.
    We will keep you updated about their findings.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

Hi there WPMUDev (Kasia)

Thanks for the update. Just wanted to confirm that you’re also experiencing the problems in the production environment but in your reply it sure sound like it to me.

Let’s see what level 2 support come up with and hopefully they can resolve it soon…

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

Hi there WPMUDEV (Kasia)

I chatted with (I’m struggling to recall the name now and it’s not the first time I chatted to him regarding this issue as he recalled our previous online support chat, APOLOGIES!!!) last night and he mentioned your name and said he would request elevated status on this issue as it’s been with us for a while now, but almost 24 hours later and still nothing.

What am I to do about this issue as the site is now “broken” in many ways and I don’t want to unnecessarily get other plugin’s support involved as I don’t know what the full scope and the possible link is to the update failure issue that I’m experiencing on the WPMUDEV hosting platform. This is now also starting to affect development on our side and the completion timeline.

Please advise before things need to get elevated to a more serious tone.

THANKS!!!

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hey there Seductful ,

Sorry, it worked with me on a time. I just check again and still have some wrong URLs there, like this test.www.your-site.xyz. It’s from your subsite, your site is using the subdomain so make sure your subdomain exists before trying a test.
    And, please clear your browser cache before trying a test.

Kind Regards,
    Tho Bui

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

WPMUDEV (Tho)

I cleared browser cache but…

I’m sure I’ve posted enough screen shot of this error https://paste.pics/7141D

And as for sub-sites, there is currently only one, the one I’m developing in https://paste.pics/7141P

WPMUDEV has login credentials for a user I created seeing the “Grant Support” function is also not working for some reason. Please can WPMUDEV use them to do some proper testing to confirm that the errors are sorted as this bouncing backward and forwards in this ticket is becoming rather time consuming. Inform should you need them again.

I can’t replicate the issue on a local development environment and WPMUDEV can’t replicate it on the staging environment, so where does it look like the problem is?

I’m also still getting logged out of the WP Admin area which certainly can’t relate to the explanation of wrong URLs I’m sure.

I moved this domain from an alternate host that didn’t offer support for multi-site on Nginx but the support they offered at least worked.

I really don’t want to start getting nasty and affect what started as a rather pleasant relationship but hopefully someone at WPMUDEV support (Kasia as that seems to be the highest level name I’ve heard to date) can start noticing a change of tone because of this issue that isn’t really getting sorted…

PLEASE CAN THIS ISSUE GET SOME PROPER ATTENTION SO IT CAN BE RESOLVED!!!

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

I’ve managed to isolate when I’m being logged out of WPAdmin. It happens after a failed update. In the past I’d take a screen shot and change browser tabs to type something to WPMUDEV support be it via online chat or creating a ticket before returning to the WPAdmin browser tab to continue with WP just to be asked login credentials again.

But seeing changing browser tabs to WPMUDEV carries no more weight in this situation I’ve just carried on trying something else of late and once I get a Updating Failed notification when I move to something else in WP I get asked for login credentials. So I suspect it could maybe somehow be related to the Updating Failed issue.

Just a thought…

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

Tho

I only got the email notifying me on your post (Mon Oct 21 2019, 7:23:06 PM) now for some reason. I thought this issue had been shelved for some reason.

I’ve been working on the site today without any issues as yet. I manually disabled all the plugins by renaming their folders in wp-content/plugins and then correctly named each individually thus activating them one at a time which I thought somehow corrected the issue but I now see SmartCrawl has been network disabled by you. So I don;t know which process was responsible for the update failures, but all seems to be working fine currently.

• Seductful
      • Flash Drive

Hi there WPMUDEV (Kasia)

Could someone (Kasia) by chance maybe please followup with the developer as this issue has hopefully been correctly narrowed down to Smart Crawl now, but it’s existed in excess of a month as it started with quite a few online support chats that unfortunately don’t get logged in this “Topic” to keep track of everything?

PRETTY PLEASE!!! :pleading hands: (<- custom emoticon)

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Seductful ,

Sorry to hear regarding the ongoing issue. We have already passed the issue to our developer, and it’s been looked upon. I do understand your concern and will make sure to bring into our developer’s attention to make sure a workaround or patch should be worked out asap.

Will keep you posted once we get further feedback. Sorry for any inconvenience due to the issues noticed.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

Hi there WPMUDEV (Tho)

Great, I’ll test and check as I’ve been busy with CSS styling for a while and haven’t noticed the issue for quite a while.
    I however need something to control the amount of logins allowed per user on the site hence I was using Bouncer. Any suggestions or can you elaborate on the problems it was causing so I can take it up with the plugins developers to try and resolve please?

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hey there Seductful ,

As our dev suggest, now I activated WP Bouncer plugin back and fixed the issue by added a new MU plugin wpmudev-wp-bouncer-allow-unlimited-login-for-admin.php to your wp-content/mu-plugins folder, this will allow unlimited login for admin:

add_filter( 'wp_bouncer_number_simultaneous_logins', function( $number_simultaneous_logins ){
    	if( is_super_admin() ){
    		$number_simultaneous_logins = 0;//allow untilimed number login for admin
    	}
    	return $number_simultaneous_logins;
    } );

Kind Regards,
    Tho Bui

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

Hi there WPMUDEV (Tho)

Thanks for the feed back and the resolution to the issue.

So sometimes it’s not just a matter of the “default” disable all the plugins and enable them one by one until the issue persists and the you know what plugin to delete as there are workaround. :wink:

I wonder if Bouncer isn’t the cause of the issue of another Open ticket ([WPMU DEV Dashboard] WPMUDEV Dashboard Grant Support Access intermittent) as when I revoke the Support access and re-grant it works for the first WPMUDEV Support agent to access the site now that I think of it.

I’m going to reply to that ticket and tell Adam to confer with you about this ticket as you may now have resolved that issue unknowingly as well. LMAO at life and it’s complexities… ;-D

• Seductful
    • Flash Drive

Hi there WPMUDEV (Tho)

I read in your second reply for today above that you activated the WP Bouncer after you added the MU plugin code but when I logged in at 14:30ish (my time) I noticed the WP Bouncer plugin was inactivate so I checked the Defender Audit log (first time I used it today) and I can see that WPMUDEV (must be you) activated it at 11:03 (my time) so I reactivated it at 14:34 (my time). I’ll keep an eye on it to see should it be inactivate again. (see attachment for Defender Audit Log)

This whole exercise lead me to see that the Defender Audit Logging is only storing today’s logs when it is set to store the logs for 7 days so I created another ticket titled “[Defender Pro] Defender – Audit logs” as this ticket is long enough and I don’t want to confuse the issues. But that lead me to create another ticket titled “Support – Ticket logging (enhancement)” as I notice that when creating a ticket one can’t attach files (screenshots) but when replying to an active ticket the attach function is available, like I did with the screen shot of the Defender Audit Log in this reply.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.