Unable to Grant Extended Permissions: Ultimate FB Plugin

When I try to grant the plugin extended permissions, a popup appears and then quickly disappears. I have tried in two browsers: Chrome and Firefox.

• Chris

@Patrick I have the same problem. @Jack (WPUM DEV Staff) said that Facebook had changed its API settings 6 days ago. The app that you create on FB now needs to be approved.

Facebook no longer provides the permissions required for your app to post to a Facebook timeline or page unless the app has been through their Review procedure.

I was also finding that immediately after granting extended permissions the Facebook Connect interface disappeared. Please see attached pics.

• Chris

The only way I could get Ultimate Facebook to semi function again was to revert to a backup of the whole multisite network that was created before I installed the plugin.

Once the backup was running I had to reinstall the plugin.

I then enabled it site by site not network wide. This allowed me to set up the Facebook Connect parameters but as soon as I clicked grant extended permissions the Facebook Connect interface disappeared again.

The like/share function work and activity feed work but these are very simple functions, just a few lines of code that you could copy from FB. It's posting comments that are key in my opinion. Hope the WPMU DEV people can sort this out:slight_smile:

I have put as much detail re my issues in this thread maybe you could see if we are experiencing the same issue. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ultimate-facebook-is-not-working-post_on_facebookexception200-potentially-corrupting-database#post-668416

• Chris

Hi Jack,

Ok, not sure how I post all the screen shots. However, just did another post via http://www.indiagabrielle.com as user 'india'. Post goes straight to Facebook no problem. On this test I was logged into Facebook as user 'Chris' this Facebook user is a developer for the iNDIAGab app.

I got this message from Facebook in response to my approval request:-

General You do not need to request these permissions because your blog or CMS is integrated with an app that you admin. As an App admin, you can already access these permissions and post to your Timeline or a page you admin. You can provide access to additional users by adding them as developers of your App.

and this one

The following items were not reviewed due to general issues with your app:
    App Details - English (UK)
    publish_actions

This is also the case for http://www.drrachaelcoates.com. I have not submitted this app but it does post to Facebook ok. Please see attached file.

Problem is I have ichris.org, same settings, new app called iCj WPMUDev UF on the relevant Facebook account and this one fails.

Have you got a Facebook page? I can make you a developer so you can see the different apps. Is there a thin in WPMUDev dashboard where I can make you a super user for all sites. You already have cPanel login details I think.

This is at an important stage as two sites are working if we could figure out what the crucial setting is all your customers will benefit (Including me) I'm betting most of them will be f****** delighted actually. Let your developer guy have access if you want.

Drop me an e-mail with your Facebook account details if you think its a good idea. Guess you could just create one for this issue also.

• Chris

Ok, updated to latest version of Ultimate Facebook Plugin.

Facebook connect tab disappeared again.

No settings changed in the new Permissions and Tokens tab.

Very unclear as to what all that means actually we could do with a bit of an explanation as to what these new options are all about. And what the 'Permissions list' refers to. This does not seem to answer the question of how you get an app approved. Has anyone had their app approved yet?

My app is not approved and Facebook state it does not need to be approve to allow publish from my blog to my FB time line. Please see the attached image which do indeed prove your app does not need to be approved in or to post to Facebook.

However, the app is not working correctly. The Facebook connect tab has gone again.

It has been nearly 2 weeks since this started and I have clients backing up now. When are you guys going to get serious about sorting it. Your customers are going to have to find other solutions before long. I think the UFB plugin is the most important one you have.

• Chris

Update, I have just deactivated UFB plugin on all 3 sites where it was active. Then deleted the plugin from the network admin panel.

Reinstalled through WPMUDev plugins menu.

Activated site by site on the 3 sites. I now have 3 sites posting to Facebook without the app being approved.

I'm thinking it may be a shit hot idea for one our developers to take a look. Has any one had their app approved yet and is anyone able to post to Facebook yet?

• Chris

@Jack - message back from Facebook:-

General You do not need to request these permissions because your blog or CMS is integrated with an app that you admin. As an App admin, you can already access these permissions and post to your Timeline or a page you admin. You can provide access to additional users by adding them as developers of your App.

publish_actions

This morning Ari said:-

Hello again Chris,
    You don't need an app to be approved in order to post to FB...
    Can you please try if the latest update works for you better?
    We have now added better permissions management
    Please advise,
    Ari.

Who are we supposed to believe? Not sure what to do when Facebook say you do not need approval, 3 of my sites are working without approval. The INDIGab app was not created until the 9th May 2014, the iCj WPMUDev UF app until the 14th May 2014, only the DrR app was created on the 19th April. Which by the way is nearly a month ago and this is still not resolved.

It don't look like your explanations are based on the reality of what is going on.

@Vaughan you have had access to my network for coming up 24hrs have established anything yet?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Chris,

First, I'm just pasting the part from the other thread, as we'll continue and stick to this thread, but without the other information, this thread wouldn't make sense, so on the other thread I said.

But to clarify the App does require approval, please see https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2014/04/30/the-new-facebook-login/

And https://developers.facebook.com/docs/apps/changelog

Specifically

We will review how apps use Facebook Login: Apps requesting more than public_profile, email and the user_friends permission must be reviewed by Facebook before those permissions can be requested from people. Existing apps have one year before they are required to go through login review, including updates to existing apps. Facebook apps created after April 30th, 2014 will have to go through review.

That is a quote from the changlog for version 2.0.

As you can see Apps created before April the 30th 2014, will continue to work up to and including April 30th 2016, as long as the apps aren't modified, but they will require a review then.

Apps created after April 30th 2014, need to be reviewed for any permissions outside of public_profile, email and the user_friends

For Auto Posting to work, we request the publish_actions and/or publish_streams permissions, as I stated above.

When @aristath said that this morning, he wasn't aware about the recent changes to the Facebook API, which required this.

Though he is now aware, I've been working with the lead developer closely on this to get a solid answer, which is the above and that the app does need approving.

That is correct, if you are the admin of the page, but in general most of our users, they want users to be able to auto post, or may not be the admin of the page.

So for anyone else the app would require reviewing, adding someone as a developer wouldn't be a workaround, as they then have full permission to make changes for this and that wouldn't be suitable of course for users with multisite installs.

publish_actions

Once you have started the process of the app submission, you have to click on "App details" and fill in the requested fields, including.

Tagline
    Description
    Detailed Description
    Privacy Policy URL
    User Support Email or User Support URL
    Image: Web Banner
    Image: Cover Image
    Image: App Icon
    Image: Banner

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Chris

@Jack Kitterhing Ok. Two of my Apps were not created until May 2014. They work all be it with admin of the app. However, my most recent app and website do not work full stop. This site was created post the UF update. To support this plug in properly WPMUDev needs to supply cut and paste instructions and information to allow a proper submission to be made to Facebook. I

We your customers have not built the app and we required far more detail about why each permission is required. Have you or anyone else in the WPMUDev team had their app approved for Ultimate Facebook Plugin?

In the interests of moving this forward and hopefully helping other WPMUDev customers, I have copied below the details of my iCj WPMUN Dev FB app request for approval. Perhaps you could get your developer to fill in the gaps. Mainly the explanations of why each permission that is required. So we should end up with a list of all permissions required and an explanation as to why each permission is required. It would be useful if WMPUDev could create the screen shots need for the approval request, there are a number that will be identical for every request for review. Clearly your customers will need to create their own logo's etc. It would also be useful if WPMUDev could provide a cut & paste Privacy & Terms document.

iCj WPMUN Dev FB App

Primary Language: English (Uk)

Short Description: Allows you to use WPMUDev Ultimate Facebook plugin correctly.

Publisher: iWEB365 Limited

Category: Apps for pages

Tagline: Post from your blog directly to Facebook

Long Description: Allows you to post directly from your blog to your Facebook account or pages. Enables Facebook login/register on your blog.

Explanation for Permissions: Permissions are required to allow the app to post to your FB Account, for login/register with FB account, comments, likes and shares.

Privacy Policy URL: http://ichrisj.org/privacy

User Support Email: chris@ichrisj.org

Marketing URL: http://ichrisj.org/iCj-WPMUN-Dev-FB App

Terms of Service URL: http://ichrisj.org/terms

User Support URL: http://ichrisj.org/contact

App Page: None

App Centre Permissions Tab

Default Activity Privacy: None (User default)

Auth Token Parameter: Query String (?code=…)

App Center Permissions (Inside ACP Tab):-

read_stream (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    rsvp_events (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    email (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    manage_pages (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    user_birthday (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    user_location (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    user_likes (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    user_events (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    user_photos (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)
    user_about_me (Can WPMUDev provide the explanation as to why this permission is required?)

Is that a complete list of required permission? If not can WPMUDev provide a list of further permissions needed along with the explanation/s as to why the permission/s is required?

Review Instructions

1. Go to http://www.ichrisj.org/wp-login.php
    2. login using the name: icjfacetest.
    3. Password: **********
    4. In the dashboard at the top click 'New' and select post.
    5. Fill in a title and some copy.
    6. Click publish.
    7. Thats it the post should be published to the sites blog and the sites Facebook page.

In summary the app needs to allow the site/blog owner and any admins or editors to have their posts automatically published to their Facebook account page or page/s (The sites page/s on Facebook) they are admin to on Facebook.

The will also allow comments to made on posts which will be sent to the Facebook page and comments made on the Facebook page will be imported to the post on the site. It will also possible for site users to like and share posts on the site.

The app also allows users to register/login using their Facebook accounts.

• Chris

Hi maartenvanthof,

I'm not sure what's going on here. My post above is (I think) pretty much the instruction set of things you need to fill in to make an application for approval from Facebook.

You would have though it would be pretty straight forward for WPMUDEV to correct it where it's inaccurate, add to it if steps are missing and answer the questions re why each of the permission is required.

What we need is a cut and paste template with screen shots we can all download. It is totally unrealistic to expect someone who did not write the plugin to know these things.

I am just new to WPMUDEV and have no idea if these guys are actually a good company with good products. I have only got the Dash board, domain mapping, WPMU DEV Videos and google maps working so far. I don't want to install any of the other plugins until we get Ultimate Facebook working. So I have paid for the full set of plugins but can't really use them yet. It's been a month tomorrow since I paid my membership fee.

• maartenvanthof

Well I am a member for a year now. There were 3 reasons to become a member.
      1) The first year was at a discount to try it out. (And a smaller discount for year 2)
      2) The Facebook app.
      3) One theme.

But if they do not solve this problem and make it easy for us or they make a deal with Facebook,(better), then this might be the last year I am a member.
      And I also think that they should make it easier to find this blog entry. I have searched several times to find out what was wrong. Today, I have again spend several hours to solve the problem. At last I found this tread.
      I don't blame WPMUDEV for the changes Facebook makes, but I do think they have to be more pro-active for the money we pay. And if there is a problem they must actively research why there is a problem and what can be done to solve this. I have the feeling they depend to much on the users to bring in the solution as you have done.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @maartenvanthof,

Hope you're well today and sorry to hear your having the same issue.

Can you open up a new thread here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question please and we'll be right along.

@Chris For better management of these issues, we'll continue on your other thread here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ultimate-facebook-is-not-working-post_on_facebookexception200-potentially-corrupting-database?replies=18#post-673022

Otherwise we'll be working over multiple threads which is getting a bit confusing now.

Thanks for your understanding, don't worry, no need to re-post your question in that thread.

I'll add it :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.