Unable to import Membership info into Membership2

I have installed Membership2. The instructions for importing say to go to Membership2 / Settings/ import tool. This does not exist at first. I had to do a quick setup of Membership before the settings option became available. Then I selected to import from Membership and viewed the data. It had 8 subscriptions and all of my members. Upon clicking import, there was a progress bar that showed the import was complete, but none of the Subscriptions were imported. In addition, none of the Paypal Gateway settings had been imported either. All of the users are set to "visitor" instead of the subscription that they had before. I restored my site and database and tried again. This time I selected to export the settings prior to importing. When the import did not work, I tried again using the export file. It still did not work. This is not on a production machine, it is on my personal computer that I use for development. I cannot enable support access. How can we troubleshoot this? Clearly I cannot put this plugin into production until I know it works.

By the way, I was not able to select Membership2 as an installed product when opening this request. The dropdown lists all of the WPMU plugins installed with the exception of Membership2.

• Phil

Hi Jude,
    I am afraid that the import process is not working. I have reverted my site to M1 state several times and tried updating to M2 both automatically, and manually. The same thing happens in either case. All members are set to "visitor", none of the subscriptions come over, and the paypal settings do not come over. I dont know what else does not work at this time. I have attached screenshots of what happens.

• Phil

Hello WPMUDEV,

as stated in my last update, the latest version of Membership did not solve the issue I have in importing my current membership info. I have several things going on like updates to Events+ and others that cannot be done until Membership is upgraded to the latest version. I need to determine how to troubleshoot this, or at least how to quickly recreate what is in membership now so that when upgraded, everything, (including Events+ integration) still works. I did try to update Events+ but that broke the membership integration. The latest version does not appear to integrate with Membership1 correctly.

• Michelle Shull

Hi Phil, I think I see the issue here. You're trying to create a new membership, you need to be using the Importer feature.

Go to Membership 2 Pro > Settings > Import Tool.

You'll see what I've shown in my screenshot below. Select the data be imported from Membership 1, preview the import to make sure everything is fine, then run it. Now you should see all your memberships again.

There was a related bug, so sorry about the confusion here, which is why we didn't immediately jump to this suggestion. Running the import tool itself is what you need to be doing here.

Thanks, Phil!

• Phil

I am doing this from within the WPMU DEV dashboard. Maybe I am missing something here. I simply go to the dashboard, plugins, and update. I do this with the current version installed and activated. Keep in mind membership1 while network activated, is only active on one of the multi site installations. I am doing this in a test environment, so support access is not going to help you. I simply copy my current site to my local machine and do my development there. I never update or change anything on my production site without first testing it in my sandbox. I am happy to work with you to give you access to my computer to test, we would just need to schedule that.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Phil,

I am doing this from within the WPMU DEV dashboard. Maybe I am missing something here. I simply go to the dashboard, plugins, and update. I do this with the current version installed and activated.

Do you mean to say that you update it like this?

http://screencast.com/t/Q6QaSOedD

(I realize there's a few warnings there, which I've informed the developer of; they don't look to impact the import process though, as seen at the end of the video)

Keep in mind membership1 while network activated, is only active on one of the multi site installations.

You mean to say that while Membership Pro (membership1) is network activated, only one of the subsites in the network has Membership Pro's protection active on it?

I am doing this in a test environment, so support access is not going to help you. I simply copy my current site to my local machine and do my development there. I never update or change anything on my production site without first testing it in my sandbox. I am happy to work with you to give you access to my computer to test, we would just need to schedule that.

While a remote access session wouldn't be feasible presently, we could try replicating this by creating a copy of the main site & the subsite you've got Membership Pro's protection enabled on using our Snapshot Pro plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

I'd be curious to know what your feedback on the above would be first, but would you be open to this, should it be necessary? :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• Phil

Hi Michael,
    I have indeed attempted to do the update exactly like the video shows. The issue is that once installed and I click on Membership2 in the admin interface, I never see the next screen that the video shows. It goes directly to the setup page as if this was a new installation. I have created snapshots for the main site gutzytri.com and the site with protection gutzytri.com/team using the snapshot plugin you suggested. That is a pretty cool plugin by the way. I have a plugin installed which required wp_cron to be disabled, so I had to temporarily enable it, take the snapshot, and then disable it. When you restore these, you will see that wp_cron is enabled, but my site actually has it disabled. I doubt this would be significant in any way, but just wanted to make sure. How do I get these snapshots to you?

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Phil!

You can send them via our contact form. The file sizes may be too large to attach, so you may need to use a service like Dropbox or MegaUpload to upload the file itself, then link us too that download.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Michelle Shull"
    -Snapshots or links to Snapshots
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Phil!

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Phil!

I tried importing your Snapshot, and my cheap host won't let me import the whole thing without running afoul of my upload limits, so I recreated this on a vanilla WordPress network install.

Good news! Sort of! It's a bug. I was able to reproduce what you're seeing here. On the primary site, I can import the old membership settings, but it's not working at all on a subsite that isn't the primary. I've got a clear plan for the dev to reproduce this now, am reporting right away.

Thanks, Phil!

• Philipp Stracker

Hi Phil,

sorry, for the late reply; your request fell thorugh my organisatory cracks...
    We have found an issue in the membership-import code that causes M2 to not import all data in some cases.

Very likely this is the reason for the issues you experience. This error is fixed in the next update (v 1.0.2.3) which will be released later today. After the update please go to the "Membership 2 > Settings > Import Tool" page and import the data again.

If it's still not working then let us know, I'll check the exact details on your site then!
    Thanks, Philipp :slight_smile:

• Phil

Hello Philipp,

Unfortunatly, the latest version does not solve the issue that I have. I did update to the latest and then ran the import tool as you suggested. While I can see that it does find all of the data to import, it does not complete the import. I was even able to export the data to a json file and it appears that all of the relevant information is there, the import just does not complete. I can provide snapshots of the sites if you would like. Just to make sure you are aware, the issue is importing data in a subsite, not the main site.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Phil,

I'm still seeing that version 1.0.2.2 is active on the site that's registered via our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, could you please update to version 1.0.2.3 there?

If you're still having issues importing, then in that case, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form, so that we can dig into this further on your site?

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include cPanel details (login address, username & password) - just in case a peek at your site's database is necessary
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Phil

Michael,

given that I cannot have our production site down for any time, I am doing this in my test environment. I have created snapshots of my production environment and put them into a local copy of wordpress on my computer. This way I can test all plugin updates without fear of having any issues on my production site. I could never have the site not function correctly for more than a few minutes. Given this, I am happy to provide you the snapshots to duplicate my installation to test for yourself. Please let me know how to proceed.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Phil,

In that case, could you please send in the following via the contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Include snapshots or links to Snapshots (I'd upload them to Dropbox, and place them in the Public folder)
    - Include any other relevant details

As mentioned before, please select "I have a different question" when filling out the form.

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Phil

Hi Michael,

I am still waiting to hear anything on this case. I am still having issues upgrading to Membership2. This has gone on for months now. Did you get the snapshots I uploaded for you a couple of months ago? Just as a refresher here is the scenario:

MembershipPro 3.5.33 is currently installed and network activated. Membership Pro is in use ONLY in a sub site of my multisite install, not on the main site itself. From within the WPMUDEV dashboard, I initiate an update. after the update is complete, I have checked the version of the plugin and it is 1.0.24.

When I click on the Membership2 link in admin (of the sub site that has membership running) I am immediately prompted to create a new membership. I am NOT asked to import from Membership Pro. AFTER I create a new membership, I can go to settings/import tool and run the import. This shows that it will import several memberships and members, but ultimately, nothing gets imported.

When Membership Pro has been activated on the main site and I do the upgrade, I am able to see the import tool immediately without setting up a membership from the main site only. I run the import but of course since it is on the main site that does not have any membership information, nothing is imported. Then I move to the sub site, and I am prompted to create a new membership and then I can run the import which does not import anything.

given that my site is accessed by my members fairly regularly and I cannot have any down time, I have created a copy of my site and am running this on my local computer. I am then able to restore very quickly after tests. I don't know how your support access works but if it depends on the domain name, you would not be able to connect to the test site to look at it. I am happy to create snapshots for the third time to see if this can be fixed. I am now at a point that I need to change some subscriptions and use some short codes that i know will be removed by the upgrade, so I really don't want to do a bunch of work just to have to redo it all later once the upgrade actually works. I really need to get this resolved. Please help!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Phil,

Really, really sorry for the delay here, I did indeed get your prior snapshots, and had sent this the developer's way, but it looks like it slipped through the cracks here. :slight_frown:

Let's get this straightened out for you now, could you please create a 3rd set of snapshots, and check to see that they're able to be imported into a site smoothly? I had to really wrestle with the last set in order to get them working right.

If you can go get those sent in, I'll make extra sure that this is looked into. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance, looking forward to getting this sorted out for you!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Phil,

I did receive your snapshots, and have been talking with one of our developers about the situation. I would like to ask, all of your users are still on the site, right? In your email, you used the terms "users" & members" interchangeably, just want to confirm all of the user accounts are still there.

If so, then after doing an import, have you tried going to:

Membership 2 -> Settings

And clicking on the link next to the "Check Membership Status changes" text, as shown in the screenshot below:

http://monosnap.com/image/PIaIpuALWMbbfNbXSj3rvEiqQ1soG9

And seeing if perhaps more members are shown to have subscriptions? Depending on the memory available on your site, and the amount of members, it'll process 500 members per batch checked for membership changes.

If that doesn't work, then a question from the developer I was speaking with is, the snapshots you sent over, are they from before you ran the import you mentioned, or after?

And how much memory is allocated to your site? If you don't already have the following defines inserted into your site's wp-config.php:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

Could you insert those please? Also, if you're able to edit the php.ini file for your site, or can set a custom php.ini, I'd also want to set this inside of that file:

memory_limit = 512M

Please advise,
    Michael

• Phil

Hi Michael,

On the All Members page of Membership 2, I click all users and I do in fact see all 48 registered users on my site. When I click on active subscriptions, I see only 17 of the 27 users that currently have a subscription. I have another 21 registered users that do not have any subscriptions, so I do not expect to see subscriptions for them after the import. I have clicked the link you referred to above, but this did not help. I also made the changes in the php.ini and wp-config.php files and tried to re import, but that did not help either. I then reverted back to my snapshots and updated membership again all over and imported. Still the same result.

The snapshots I sent you are actually from my production site that has not yet been upgraded to Membership 2. This has gone on for so long that I cant remember exactly, but I believe I did try to upgrade membership on the production site when it first came out, and then after having issues importing, I restored the old membership plugin. I really cant remember if I restored the database or not. I suppose there could be some remnants of the original Membership 2 plugin in the database, but I would have no idea how to check that.

As far as memory on the site goes, I had it set for 256MB and have now moved it to 512 at your request, but again, that has not seemed to help at all.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Phil, my apologies for the delay here!

After talking this over with the developer, it'd be best if we could work on your production site directly here, it'd be possible to manually address this issue with the 10 subscribers inside the database itself.

Could you please send in the following, so we can get this sorted out over on your /team subsite:

- Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include cPanel log-in details (login address, username & password) - so we can access your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Please ensure you have recent backups, just in case

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Phil

Hi Michael,
    I can appreciate that you would rather fix this on the production site. The problem is that I have quite a bit of custom code that is written specifically toward my current version of Membership. When Membership gets upgraded, a great deal of the functionality of my site will break. My plan was to make sure that I can import all of the users, then in my test site make all of the needed changes to my custom code. Then I will upgrade my production site and upgrade all of the code at the same time. Doing it this way, my production site is only down for a few minutes.

thoughts?

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.