Unable to modify Easy Blogging Links

It's very frustrating when you create a new menu item for Easy Blogging, and in order to make changes to it, i have to delete the menu item and re-create it every time. Am i missing a section where it allows me to edit menu items? I wanted to change the My Pages Icon, but i can't so i had to create a new menu item instead so now i have duplicates. Thoughts?

• aecnu

Greetings forthgear,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Am i missing a section where it allows me to edit menu items?

Unfortunately I have been there and done that, and currently this is the only way to address add on menu items.

I wanted to change the My Pages Icon, but i can't so i had to create a new menu item instead so now i have duplicates. Thoughts?

You will certainly want to delete the undesired menu item.

Sorry that I cannot offer easier advice then this, but this is how the lead developer designed it and its intended use. Hopefully he will be able to add this what appears to be a common sense function in the near future.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings forthgear,

Thank you for your additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

I would delete the My Pages, but you cannot delete core or "included' menu items.

Why certainly you can remove core pages from being shown.

Logged into the network admin dashboard go to --> Easy Blogging --> Add-ons --> Manage menu items and activate it.

Then go to Easy Blogging --> Menu items --> un-check the ones you do not want showing and save changes at bottom. Core menu item disappears.

I have gone ahead and reopened this ticket pending your answer that you have found this feature and it works as described.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings forthgear,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings lovings,

Though you have somewhat hijacked forthgear's ticket is why I have not responded because I did not see your added question. It would have been in your own interest to have created your own and your question/issue is not related to the original ticket.

Is there a way to hack the menu data in the database itself?

It appears that you tried to already and have seen the results that the menu defaults to its original settings.

What am I missing?

You will need to delete the bad entry in the future and recreate it. As you have probably noticed there is no way to edit the selection you create and this I think it is intentional due to it will indeed reset the entire menu the same as when trying to edit directly in the database.

Cheers, Joe

• Silvia

Thanks for revisiting this thread. I added to it because the issue is identical to mine, and I thought it's the best not to duplicate questions to keep everything tidy.

Hmm... seems illogical that, if all data is kept in the database, there's no way to simply change the database data, especially as I'm only fixing a spelling mistake in displayed menu item - literally changing two letters. If the integrity of the data in wp_options > wdeb_menu_items is compared to a value somewhere else, where is it (or what happens here)?

I use Easy Blogging for a number of sites - I'm a web designer, and it would be really, really convenient to find a way to get around the lack of menu "Edit" feature. Sorry to be a pest. I love the Easy Blogging plugin except for this time-wasting inconvenience, and am trying to understand how it works as I keep running into the same problem again and again and would like to save some time. If you'd rather close the issue (and/or are planning to add the "Edit" feature in the future), please just let me know. :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings lovings,

Thank you for the additional input and for the perspective you gave illogical that, if all data is kept in the database, there's no way to simply change the database data, especially as I'm only fixing a spelling mistake in displayed menu item - literally changing two letters I admit I have to agree that being able to edit them without recreating then would be a great feature to have added if possible.

I replicated the procedure you mentioned whereas changes directly made to the database removes all the custom menus on a save.

The exact technical reason for this I do not know and will have to confer with the lead developer why this is - of course this method is not intended use (direct db modification) but there must be a reason for this and possibly why it has not been incorporated with this editing feature to date?

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Everyone,

I have found a post that I believe is indeed the reason why we lose the links and we have to re-enter them all:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/in-custompress-taxonomy-items-are-all-updating-eachother#post-303230

For the exact same reason: Found the problem. Don't know if you can call it a bug but it's a quirk in Wordpress. They check for duplicate slugs on creation and when you change it thereafter it changes all of them.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.