Unable to post to FB with Ultimate FB

My main need for this plugin is to auto-post to FB, but I am unable to get that section working. I have a personal FB acct and I am the admin for my client’s page. I signed up to be a developer under my personal account, as FB forced me to do so.

I was able to set up a FB app according to your instructions (I think, although FB’s screens have changed a bit since the tut was written). I put in the domain of our testing server (not our live site). Then I installed Ultimate FB on our test server and successfully entered the app id and secret keys.

In the AutoPost to FB section, the only option it gives me for mapping posts to the FB wall is for “myself”, which is not what I need. There must be a place somewhere that I have missed where I associate this app with the client’s FB page instead of my personal account. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Cindy

• HoodSiegal
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Joe, here are my screen shots of the FB app as well as the settings page where I am trying to set up autoposting. You can see that the only option given for which account to autopost to is my personal one. I need to post to a page for our school which I am admin for.

I don't see where I would specify that the FB app I created would know which page it is supposed to be attached to. Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Cindy

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Cindy,

Thank you for your additional input and the screen shots which are certainly helpful.

Though this may or may not be related to your issue, our system indicates that you are indeed a couple version of the plugin behind using version 2.6 while version 2.6.2 has been available for a couple days and version 2.6.1 for relatively much longer.

I am sorry for the delay here but must admit it has been to some degree caused by your own hand. I will copy and paste an explanation from another post so that you understand how the system works and how we can work more efficiently together to include reducing the delays in replies.

****Please note:****

One reason in this particular ticket here that we are having delays in a response is because of the way the ticket system works. The ticket system see’s every reply as well a reply … and then changes it’s priority in the support que to include ticket aging.

Therefore it may not show up on our screens as early as it would under normal conditions. It is usually in your best interest to not bump tickets or reply to them unless there is something significant to add.

****Please note****

Forward to the issue at hand of course :slight_smile:

First I see an issue with the Facebook apps screen in which the URL for the website with Facebook log in has issues with it. the two need to match concerning the domain name therefore the www needs to be removed and should read using just the TLD i.e. webcraftconnect.com

Next it is my opinion that you will need to have the API settings set and used in the destination Facebook account to have this work as you desire and simply being an admin of the other account is not going to make this happen.

But to be sure I am right and not giving misinformation I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

You need to be logged into Facebook with the account you wish to use for autoposting, in order to be able to set autoposting for that account. You can always reconfigure this section with a different Facebook identity, or use the new identity to reconfigure the plugin entirely.

• HoodSiegal
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have updated UF to the most current version but I wanted to let you know that the WP dashboard did not alert me to the fact there was an update. I had not been using the WPMU Dashboard and did not realize there was an update.

I think the first thing I need to determine is whether this plugin will work for “fan pages” (or whatever they are called)? I am admin on the page I want to post to, but I cannot log in with that account. FB will not allow that. I tried to set up my app when I was acting as admin for my page, but FB would not allow me to go further in the setup process until I reverted back to my personal login. I think this might be the crux of the problem.

I will continue to work on the other points, but if the answer to this one is No, the others would be moot.

Also, Joe, could you please let me know the proper procedure to request additional help on a thread short of waiting it out? 5 days is too long to wait it out for paid support. Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Cindy,

Thank you for your detailed input and I totally agree that five days is way too long to be waiting for a reply in any event and my current wait time is two days at the moment as you can probably see.

There are so many factors involved that it is a complicated thing since there is no rhythm or reason to folks posting for support. I personally do between 50 and 60 tickets every single day of the week – yes seven days a week with ten hour days for the most part and good help is hard to find and Members play a big part in these delays with literally books of questions they write without trying anything, not applying themselves, to include duplicates which too different support staff do not know are duplicates which in turns denies those with real issues from getting support while taking the time of two support staff for a single issue etc. and many other things that contribute to a very complex situation not limited to but including all the things that life throws at us like my wife having spinal surgery recently from a tumor on her spine that started to put enough pressure where she started to lose the use of her legs to the kids getting swine flu.

I am not trying to come up with excuses, but these are indeed the facts of the matter and totally unpredictable to include even one of the staff recently gone for an extended period that recently got married … lol

However, I must add that my Boss is indeed actively adding personnel as quickly as they can find qualified willing, working people and I expect that it will continue this way being a roller coaster due to we cannot predict anything – but I give Kudos to the team for its flexibility and trying to deal with it all.

Five days is indeed the exception and not the rule thank goodness.

I think the first thing I need to determine is whether this plugin will work for “fan pages” (or whatever they are called)?

Yes my pages indeed show as an option for auto posting and the next challenge we have is to get the Facebook account holder to let you in there with their credentials long enough to set up the API within there Facebook.

And taken directly form the plugins included text, Choose the Facebook user ID from the user box, or leave selection to “Me” to use your own profile. Remember, the plugin needs to be granted extended permissions to access the profile.

To post to a fan page as page, you need to be administrator of that page.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.