Unable to progress to next unit

I am not exactly sure what is going on with my install. It seems as if all of the students are locked into the current progress within a unit no matter how far they have progressed. This seems to be preventing them from continuing to the next unit in a course. I have already deactivated and reactivated plugins to try and troubleshoot the problem.

After looking into the issue a little more it appears that the students are only getting stuck on a particular unit. This unit has a file upload that is mandatory and assessable. I have assigned a grade to the uploads, but the student's progress is locked at 75%. All pages in the unit have been completed.

Thoughts or suggestions?

• Bryan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Enabled. The course is "BI-116: God’s Plan of the Ages". Students appear to get stuck on the unit "STEP 1: STEP-Test". I am building this site for a client and they have said that the issue has been there for about 9 days now.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Bryan

I hope you are well today.

Would you please send a student account so that I can check?

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash (this ensures that it will be assigned to me)
    Details:
    1. Send all requested details
    2. Send a link of this thread so that I can track
    3. Send any other relevant link

And please keep support access active.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Bryan

Hi Ash,

I tried to complete the next unit, but then I get a timeout error. I adjusted the script execution time in my php.ini to allow 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds, and I am still getting timeout errors while trying to view the unit list.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

Are you using our latest beta? If not, would you please try that one?

Download plugin beta here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21559010/coursepress_1.2.5.9_beta.zip

This are the steps to follow:
    - Create a snapshot/backup of your DB.
    - Install the plugin beta attached in this post.
    - Log out from your site, clear browser cookies, and try to login again with any of the users that were having issues.

If everything works as expected, you should be able to log in again and you will notice a performance improvement.

Cheers
    Ash

• Bryan

I downloaded the beta and followed the instructions. I DO notice a performance improvement. I no longer get the timeout issues. However, I am still getting the same issue with not being able to progress past specific units.

This occurs in every course that has a mandatory answer (file upload) that is not assessable. The student can upload the file and it shows that it was successful on their screen and on the backend in the media section. However, it still only shows that they have completed 0 out of 1 mandatory elements and shows the progress as 50%.

This is also occurring when there is a unit that has a mandatory answer (file upload) that IS assessable. The student can upload a file. I can grade the file and it shows the student that the file is graded and the score that they received. However, the progress still does not show 100%, and it says that they have completed 0 out of 1 mandatory elements.

• Bryan

As a side note, I am noticing that when I view the non-assessable unit a second time, it shows that the file is uploaded successfully. If I go to the backend and view the file that was uploaded in assessments and click save, then go back to the same non-assessable unit it offers me the chance to upload a new file and tells me that I did not pass. (see screenshot)

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Bryan,

Ash has asked the developer for an update, but I can't give you any details as of yet, we will keep you informed though and will let you know the minute we find out. If the next update is going to be a while, I will try & get the developer to push an interim release out with these fixes included.

Appreciate your patience.

Thanks

• Bryan

Hi @Vaughan,

Thanks for the update. The latest version of CoursePress has been a HUGE help. It has allowed me to progress through the various units. However; If there is a non-assessable file upload the user still gets stuck in the progress until an instructor views the non-assessable element from the Assessment tab and clicks save. This wouldn't be a huge issue, but the instructors have no way of knowing if one of these elements have been submitted/uploaded unless a student has complained about being stuck again. Is there a way to either have the student be allowed to continue just by submitting the file, or have the assessment notification trigger on the backend so that the instructor knows to look and save?

• Bryan

Hi @Vaughan,

I recently updated to CoursePress Pro Version: 1.2.6.3 and it seems to have reintroduced a progress issue. If I have a unit with 5 pages, and I complete all of the pages, it says that I have completed 80%. If I have one with 4 pages, and I complete all of the pages, it says 75%. There are no assessable elements. It is acting as if there is an extra page that needs completion. Maybe a page count issue where the count starts at 1 instead of 0 or 0 instead of 1?

• Bryan

Hi @Ashok,

I was wondering if there has been update from the developers on this issue. My largest client has been getting pretty upset at the timeframe that this has been an issue. They are threatening to pull away not only from WPMU/CoursePress but my firm as well. They currently use several of WPMU's plugins, but they are willing to go elsewhere for all of them if we can't get this issue resolved. Is there any kind of timeframe that I can give them that will guarantee that this and all other current issues with CoursePress would be resolved? Any help would be much appreciated.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Bryan

I can't replicate this issue with latest version of the plugin. I have talked to the developer and he thinks it's something your site specific. So, he wants to look at your setup.

Would you please send him login details and FTP details?

To send him details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Jose (this ensures that it will be assigned to him)
    Details:
    1. Send all requested details
    2. Send a link of this thread so that I can track
    3. Send any other relevant link

Cheers
    Ash

• Jose
    • Bruno Diaz

Hi there @Bryan,

Hope you are doing well despite the problems caused buy this issue.

Sorry for not updating the thread earlier, I was working on this some days ago and somehow this thread got missed in my queue.

The progress completion issue was related to the page visit not being logged for the first page of each unit.
    This was fixed in version 1.2.6.4.
    The only caveat on the fix is that the student needs to visit the first page of the un-completed unit again in order to register the page visit and get to 100% completion.

Please let me know if it works as expected in your site. Otherwise, I'll need the information requested by Ash above.

Thanks,
    José

• Bryan

Hello @Ashok and @Jose,

Thank you for your response! I tested again and it seems to be working. I will relay the information to my clients and have them try to continue. I believe @Adam Czajczyk has also forwarded another issue to the 2nd-line support code magicians regarding another issue that is preventing students from progressing from course to course in paid courses, but this portion seems to be working well. Thank you.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/enroll-button-not-working-correctly-in-coursepress#post-962053

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.