Unable to restore managed backup on my new server

I try to restore a backup from HUB files. I tried to do this on my new server but got this error:

We could not locate the wp-config.php file in your backup.
We could not locate the Snapshot manifest file in your backup.
  • Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thalia,

Hope you're doing well.

It looks like your backup file is corrupted for some reason as the important files are missing for it.
    I have already contacted our sysadmins to check the backup files stored on our servers and see if they include proper data there.

In the meantime, could you grant us access to your source site (where backups were created) so we can investigate it further there as well?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thalia,

Our developers are investigating the issue with the backup file you provided us via chat, but in the meantime, I've checked your other backup file from the same day:
    full_backup-1522171717-full-336e3fb1.zip
    And that one seems to be having all the files in place.
    Can you try restoring that backup instead and see if it works fine?

Please note that you have some aggressive caching in there so when you do restore the backup make sure to disable W3 Total Cache and any other kind of caching that you might have.
    You can follow this guide on removing W3TC: https://www.shoutmeloud.com/how-to-delete-uninstall-w3-total-cache-wordpress-plugin.html

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thalia,

Our devs are working on some Snapshot improvements and looking into the issue with that corrupted backup so it doesn't happen in the future.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the HUB download of your other backup and I can't replicate it on my account but I've forwarded the issue to Sysadmins to check your account.
    I did notice that download is working fine from your site directly so I have downloaded it for you and already uploaded it to your server in /summihvj/public_html/ folder.

I am also unable to create a new Managed Backup, I get an error "OTHER BACKUP ERROR".

Were there any changes on your site since the backups started working, did you change your theme, installed any new plugins or uploaded any new files to your server?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Kronikon Design & Development

Hi! I managed to perform the migration from the file you uploaded to the server. However, the file was still missing some database tables that created serious issues to the website. It turns out they were related to Revolution Slider plugin, so they were non-WordPress tables. All's good now, but it would be a good idea to further investigate why some files were missing from the backup zip (even though it seemed like the backup was complete) and why the installer couldn't identify that they were missing.

This is crucial to solve, as having a backup makes everyone (at least me) feel comfortable to play around with everything, knowing that I can always go back -- so it could be a huge problem not being able to go back.

Thanks! Let me know if you need my help to investigate this further.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thalia,

Managed Backups should be storing the entire database, regardless if the tables are core WP ones or created additionally.
    Can you please tell me which tables were missing exactly so we can do some more tests on our end with this?

All's good now, but it would be a good idea to further investigate why some files were missing from the backup zip (even though it seemed like the backup was complete) and why the installer couldn't identify that they were missing.

Our devs are looking into this as it's certainly something that shouldn't be happening, if the server is unable to finish the backup file with all the data included then Snapshot should fail and not allow it to finish with creating a backup with missing data.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Kronikon Design & Development

I am not sure which tables were missing exactly, but they should be among the below -- since restoring only those from the old website fixed the issue.

non-core: wp_bwg_album, wp_bwg_album_gallery, wp_bwg_gallery, wp_bwg_image, wp_bwg_image_comment, wp_bwg_image_rate, wp_bwg_image_tag, wp_bwg_shortcode, wp_bwg_theme, wp_cptch_images, wp_cptch_packages, wp_cptch_whitelist, wp_defender_lockout, wp_defender_lockout_log, wp_formmaker, wp_formmaker_backup, wp_formmaker_blocked, wp_formmaker_query, wp_formmaker_sessions, wp_formmaker_submits, wp_formmaker_themes, wp_formmaker_views, wp_gglcptch_whitelist, wp_huge_itgallery_gallerys, wp_huge_itgallery_images, wp_huge_itgallery_like_dislike, wp_layerslider, wp_nf3_action_meta, wp_nf3_actions, wp_nf3_field_meta, wp_nf3_fields, wp_nf3_form_meta, wp_nf3_forms, wp_nf3_object_meta, wp_nf3_objects, wp_nf3_relationships, wp_responsive_menu, wp_revslider_css, wp_revslider_layer_animations, wp_revslider_navigations, wp_revslider_sliders, wp_revslider_slides, wp_revslider_static_slides, wp_smush_dir_images, wp_woocommerce_api_keys, wp_woocommerce_attribute_taxonomies, wp_woocommerce_downloadable_product_permissions, wp_woocommerce_order_itemmeta, wp_woocommerce_order_items, wp_woocommerce_payment_tokenmeta, wp_woocommerce_payment_tokens, wp_woocommerce_sessions, wp_woocommerce_shipping_zone_locations, wp_woocommerce_shipping_zone_methods, wp_woocommerce_shipping_zones, wp_woocommerce_tax_rate_locations, wp_woocommerce_tax_rates

I know for sure that at least some table related to Slider Revolution was missing. I see these are related to that plugin:

wp_revslider_css, wp_revslider_layer_animations, wp_revslider_navigations, wp_revslider_sliders, wp_revslider_slides, wp_revslider_static_slides

I am not sure if any other tables were missing. If that helps, after migrating I was unable to add a new page or edit existing pages -- I don't know if this information is at all relevant.

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thalia,

Thanks for the info, it does seem that some of the non-wp tables are indeed missing, but not all, it's really strange, I've updated my previous dev report with this information.

About the backups not being able to complete on your site now, not sure if you saw my message from one of the above posts, quote:

Were there any changes on your site since the backups started working, did you change your theme, installed any new plugins or uploaded any new files to your server?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thalia,

I talked with the devs and it seems some additional checks have already been included in the plugin that prevents the backup from being completed if the data is incomplete.
    Since there's obviously something going on during your backups it's now preventing your backups from finishing.
    It's basically a good thing as we can investigate why, instead of dealing with broken backups.

Now, there are some tweaks that we could try which should get backups working there but since you moved your site to another server I would suggest performing a backup there and see if it works so we can tweak it there instead if needed.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.