Unable to set up registration for membership premium

I've been trying to set up Membership Premium on the web site, but when I add the [subscriptionform] shortcode, the entire registration page disappears. All the text and images above the form are gone; it's a blank page (including the header). I tried deleting the shortcode, but the page will not reappear unless I deactivate the plugin.
I tried updating the plugin to V 3.5.3.2, but was unable to make the page reappear while the plugin was activated.
Clues?
Dennis

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dennis,

Hope you're doing well today!

That sounds like it may be a theme conflict, can you try out the default 2015 theme and see if you get the same issue?

Another option I want to mention in-case you aren't already aware is that we have recently released a new re-written version of Membership Pro - Protected Content:

Membership's foundation was restricting us from adding in a lot of features that members were requesting, so we decided to re-write it awhile back and Protected Content is the result of that. It has almost all the same features + more. Also includes a brand new user interface which we think is a lot more user friendly :slight_smile:

There is a membership to Protected Content importer too, it imports subscriptions, members, and the relationship between them. You will need to re-setup the protection rules though.

Hope that helps! Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Dennis

Hello Tyler,

Good news and bad news.

No luck changing the theme. The page disappeared again when I changed the site to 2015 and re-activated the plugin. I use the latest version of Firefox as my default browser, so I tried in again in safe mode (no plugins), but the entire page (header, sidebar, and all) wouldn't load - just a blank browser.

I then tried accessing the page in the latest versions of Chrome, IE, and Opra - and the page showed up in all of them. Is there a bug with this version of Membership Premium when viewing pages with Firefox?

As I mentioned earlier, I'm using version 3.5.3.2 of Membership Premium. If there's a newly re-written version, the dashboard doesn't know about it - please pass along a link for downloading

Thanks,

Dennis McNeely

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dennis,

Would you be able to grant support access so we can have a closer look?

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm using version 3.5.3.2 of Membership Premium. If there's a newly re-written version, the dashboard doesn't know about it - please pass along a link for downloading

oops, sorry about that - forgot the link in my last post! Here it is: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

We released it as a separate plugin as the db structure has also changed due to the re-write, so simply upgrading like you normally would surely would of caused some issues.

Which is also why we implemented the importer instead :slight_smile:

Once you have installed Protected Content, go to:

Protect Content > Settings > Import Tool. As seen in my screenshot.

and to answer your above question there shouldn't be any issue with using Membership Premium on Firefox. If you stick with Membership for now, then I can check that out once you grant support access.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Dennis

Hi Tyler -

I didn't install Protected Content - it seems like it's a different beast entirely. Do I remove Membership Premium and replace it with Protected Content?

FWIW, the problem has continued with Firefox - even in safe mode, and even with all other plugins disabled. As I mentioned, the problem consists of the browser returning a blank page after the shortcode was inserted (no header, no sidebars, no content). The blank page problem persisted even after removing the shortcode from the page. As long as I left Membership Premium activated, the page was blank, whether the shortcode was present or removed.

Interestingly, although the page does show up in Chrome when Membership Premium is activated, it continues to show the sign up form even after the shortcode was removed from the page in the back end. Curiouser and curiouser.

In any event, support access is live now. Let me know if you need anything further.

Dennis McNeely

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the reply! The reason this is happening is because you haven't select pages for any of the other membership pages via:

Membership > Options > Membership Pages. As seen in my screenshot.

When you are logged in it will redirect you to your membership subscriptions page; however, that isn't setup for you yet, which is why it's just giving the whitescreen.

I've deactivated Membership again as that's how I found it, but if you re-activate it then add those pages it should work as expected :slight_smile:

I didn't install Protected Content - it seems like it's a different beast entirely. Do I remove Membership Premium and replace it with Protected Content?

First you will want to have them both installed at the same time so you use the import tool. Unless you don't want to import anything from Membership, in that case, yes just deactivate and delete membership then install Protected Content.

Protected Content does look like an entirely new beast as it's been re-designed and re-written; however, it still has almost all of the same protection features.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Dennis

Apologies for being so long in getting back.

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that my ultimate goal should be to change from Membership Premium to Protected Content. Does Protected Content continue to work if WPMU Dev ceases to exist?(Heaven forbid!) I've been burned by apps / software that have to "call home" to be functional in days gone by.

Also, in Protected Content, is there some additional description of the differences between the different membership types - particularly Standard and Default? Is there any way to change the membership type after setting it up?

Thanks,

Dennis

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dennis,

Hope you're doing well today!

Once the plugin is installed on your site it functions completely independently from our site, it doesn't require an API key or anything like that to work and you can continue using it forever. The on-going membership is for our support and plugin/theme updates :slight_smile: and of course, we don't plan on going anywhere!

Also, in Protected Content, is there some additional description of the differences between the different membership types - particularly Standard and Default? Is there any way to change the membership type after setting it up?

Default and Guest membership types you can only have 1 each of. Default is automatically added to users who have registered and don't have any other membership. Guest will be applied to visitors, so someone on your site that isn't logged in or doesn't have an account at all. Guest is similar to the "stranger" level from Membership and Default is similar to setting a default subscription in Membership.

Standard is just your standard membership and you can have as many as you like and protect any content you like with them. Then dripped content is of course for a more dripped style content release.

Is there any way to change the membership type after setting it up?

There is no way to change the membership type after a membership is created, but you can change the payment options and protected content of course.

We are planning on importing everyone over to Protected Content once we are sure it has all the features covered so no one feels left out. So, yes I would recommend going with Protected Content now :slight_smile: will save you from importing later on when you have more to import.

Hope that helps! If you have any further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.