Unable to update WPMU DEV plugins

When I try to update a plugin from the WPMU DEV > Plugins page I get this error:
"Failed: Unexpected response from WordPress."

I am also getting this after trying to run the updates, the site literally goes into maintenance mode and crashes (then the server stops loading and the plugins don't update):
"Maintenance Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute."

The issue is specific to your guys plugins, the rest are working perfectly. This problem is occurring on all my sites, they are all hosted on the same server.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Adam

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I realize that the issue happens with our plugins only but I think the cause of this is actually not directly related to our plugins. Installing/updating our plugins requires connection to our API so there could be an uninterrupted requests exchange between our servers and your site.

However, while checking your site I noticed that there's also a message (at the top of the dashboard) that automatic core update failed which means that WP itself couldn't be updated. Also, when I tried to access cPanel using credentials that you shared, at first I received "Network Error" error with a suggestion to try again and when I did, I couldn't even load the cPanel login page any more (note please: I didn't make any changes in cPanel because I couldn't even get in due to that issue). Then also the site wen't down even though I made no changes to it - I only logged into it and that's all.

In both cases - the site and the cPanel - it's the "conection timeout" issue. If it was only the site, I would assume that the site might be a bit "too heavy" for the current server resources or that it might need some "tweaking" e.g. due to resource usage or even some conflict of the plugins. But the fact that cPanel also goes down at the same time actually suggests that the entire server/account went down pretty much "with no reason". I mean: there is some reason for this of course but surely it was not related to e.g. attempt to update plugin or to any action taken in cPanel - as I didn't even have a chance to do anything like that.

That being said, I think that while there might be some additional issue with updating our plugins, the first and foremost thing to check is the server resources and stability. The behavior that I just experienced is not something that should happen (especially the cPanel becoming inaccessible "out of the blue") and that's a "server side fail". Since I wasn't able to access cPanel, I don't know how many sites are installed there, what resources are available and how they are are used but it looks like either the server is just "unstable" or it really is overloaded.

Furthermore, when I'm writing this, the site doesn't load for me and the cPanel either - even though, as mentioned above, I only logged in to the site and couldn't even log in to the cPanel. If it's a "resources" issue it should automatically get back up soon but apart of this, could you please get in touch with your host and ask them to check what exactly caused that?

They should be able to look into the logs and see that e.g. script X on site Y caused resource Z to be used up to the limit. Basically, they should be able to identify at least "roughly" the cause of such break down and that would give us some "starting point" as I believe it's all related. If it points to some plugin(s) of ours, we'll investigate why it's causing it but in general - if it's something else - the key point is to find out what's causing the server to go down and deal with that first.

Let me know, please, what the host said and we'll then decide on the next steps to be taken to solve the issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.