Unable to upgrade to 3.1

I'm using multidb 3.0.5 and I can't upgrade to wordpress 3.1 currently. It keeps error'ing out with "Warning! Problem updating . Your server may not be able to connect to sites running on it. Error message: A valid URL was not provided. "
I can't help but think this is also related to the funky characters in my posts question.
This is a pain in the ass, I didn't use any 3rd party editors or anything. I used the multdb import, I don't have any other plugins live. Why do I have characters in my posts and why is my upgrade to 3.1 failing out saying it can't find the site name? I can get through 80 sites with no problem and then it fails.
Please help, I just want to get this out of the way so I can focus my time on other improvements (like getting more of the plugins I'm paying for from you guys installed)

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

I'll ask a couple of our devs to respond, but a clue may be here:

I can get through 80 sites with no problem and then it fails.

Would seem to me that there's some issue with site 80 (or maybe 81?) that's causing the update to fail. It'd be interesting to see if this is the same one that has the character issue.

I've asked a couple developers to drop by and respond. We'll do our best to help ya get this sorted.

Thanks!

• xlogz
    • Flash Drive

The update doesn't appear to be pulling my blogs in order....I would see a's, then b's, then z's and so on so I don't really know how to check which would be the 81st or 82nd or 83rd blog to see if they look at all strange.

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

@xlogz, the easiest thing to do is ignore the "update network" warning. It'll all get sorted as each blog is visited. However, you can also get around the error by changing the 'n' parameter on the network update page (/wp-admin/network/upgrade.php?action=upgrade&n=80). Just try adding 1 to it, then another if 81 doesnt work. Keep incrementing it manually until you get past the error ("/wp-admin/network/upgrade.php?action=upgrade&n=81" and so on).

@masonjames, I'm experiencing the funky characters too, and it is *not* exclusive to those blogs that return errors in a network update. I had about 5 blogs (out of tens of thousands) that wouldnt work in a network update, but there are at least 20 authors that have contacted us reporting the funky characters problems.

• xlogz
    • Flash Drive

For the upgrade I had to babysit it quite a bit but go through with about 35 blogs that weren't able to upgrade. For some reason a lot of them from around the same area (id wise). I think there may have been some problems on the import of the sites. Is there any way to import the tables for individual sites from the old non-multi-db database? I'd really like to get them back online if possible.
    Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.