Unable to visit a site added to my network

Hi guys,
Just completed converting my single site wordpress site to a multisite, one problem, I have just created my first site, and site does show under "my sites" unfortunately when I try to visit the new site, it comes up with the error message below;

Sorry, the website approvedcarcare.carcaremagazine.com cannot be found

I assume I may need to change some settings, if this is the case could somebody point me in the general direction of what needs doing, also will these changes create problems with my original "main" site

Regards Andrew

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Andrew.

Looking at your site its a DNS issue you don't have wildcard setup on your domain. If you are unsure how to do this then please ask your host.

You need *.domain.com so everything.domain.com goes to your WordPress website.

If you correct that first then you should be good to continue.

Take care.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Andrew,

I see that you are using subdomains on your multisite and in a subdomain multisite install you have to add wild card dns to your hosting account.

You need to add something like this:

*.carcaremagazine.com. 14400 IN A 66.147.244.192

replacing 66.147.244.192 with your IP address. If you are using cpanel, then you can do it in the Advanced DNS Zone Editor.

Note that *.carcaremagazine.com. has an ending full-stop (.)

In case you face any issues, you may follow the guide posted by me here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-fix-dns-issue-on-subdomain-blogs-in-wpmu-especially-in-cpanel-without-using-wildcard-dns?post-216956

and add it to your hosting account. This would help when you do not have the domain in the root directory (mostly on multiple domain hosting)

I hope it helps.

Cheers
    PC

• maurands
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Fellas,

I have tried this morning to access the new site, unfortunately I still am unable to , I have also tried to do the fix you reccomended above, unfortunately I was unable to create a sub domain as directed as it came back with this error message:

*.carcaremagazine.com domainadmin-domainexistsglobal

Any further help appreciated

Regards Andrew

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Unfortunately this is something you would need to speak with your host about.

But as a test if you enter your dedicated IP address in the browser?

If not then that would be the main issue, it needs to fall upon your WordPress install so when you enter it in the browser you see your site.

Let us know how you get on.

• WAARBA
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

hello,
    Has this ever been resolved?
    I am having this same issue. In fact, I signed up with WPMU for this very feature, but after a couple weeks, still cant get it to work. Is there another area with details on resolving this? I've done the research and found:
    How to fix DNS issue on subdomain blogs in WPMU (Especially in cpanel) - Without using Wildcard DNS
    ... but it still doesnt work.

I am using HOstmonster, have a dedicated IP address, and have followed the wordpress mutlisite install step by step for subdomains.

Site is http://www.waarba.com. I can set up sites, but cannot get to the sites after install...

• WAARBA

no... i am getting emails to the site. Did you mistype your email address? My problem is i can start new sites, but when i attempt to go to the sites, i am only redirected to my main waarba.com site. Hostmonster tells me it can be done, WPMU tells me it can be done, but I simply cant get it done.

Ive gone thru the steps in the manuals, codex, and even in blogs. There is obviously something over my head, or broken.

very frustrating...

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

If your sub sites are not resolving and you have issues telling you that then it will be a DNS issues.

If you are unable to resolve it then the best course would be to contact your hosting provider they should be able to sort this within moments.

What happens when you enter your dedicated IP?

Do you see your WordPress site? If not then you need to have that fixed.

Let us know where you are with this.

• WAARBA

Hello all,

Turns out that I had a bad install of wordpress mutli-site. Had to start from step one. When I went through the steps initially, I put "www.waarba.com" vesus "waarba.com". As of today, I am able to make sites, and see them.

We didn't know the issues were connected, but we found this issue because whenever we put "waarba.com" into the address bar of any browser, the site would redirect to the registration page versus going to my splash page. This is what prompted us to do the entire reinstall.

As far as the email issue, I used a smtp plug-in and am now able to send emails from the website.

Thanks again to the WPMU staff... you guys have just the right amount of support to help even a novice like me become a webmaster! WPMU is leverage!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Waarba,

Greetings and thanks for your nice words :slight_smile:

"www.waarba.com" vesus "waarba.com".

I have done almost 45+ WP MS installs, and I always used a domain w/o www :slight_smile: and I never experienced any issues:slight_smile: so, as per me, that is the best way to do that :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Thanks again to the WPMU staff... you guys have just the right amount of support to help even a novice like me become a webmaster! WPMU is leverage!

You are most welcome! :slight_smile:

Multisite by default is not set to use WWW by default although they it can work. www is really a defunct sub domain now which is no longer needed on modern setups.

Glad your all sorted now. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.