Unable to visit my site /wp-admin Dashboard

I can’t visit the site /wp-admin Dashboard but the thing what I’ve done is change the table prefix as Defender suggested

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Michael

Hope you’re doing well!

I’ve added the following lines that define the site’s URL in the wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_HOME', 'http://example.com' );
    define( 'WP_SITEURL', 'http://example.com' );

After adding these lines, the admin was not still accessible, but at least there was no redirect and the page was showing this error

Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page.

I’ve created a new admin account and was able to access the wp-admin dashboard. So looks like the issue is related to the admin user account. After further troubleshooting, there was no user role assigned to your admin account.

I’ve assigned an administrator user role to your account and you should be able to log in now. I’ve also removed the tets admin account that was created previously.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,

Nastia

• Michael
    • New Recruit

Hi Nastia,

Firstly, thanks for sorting that out. I was able to log back in.

I heard back from Afsana who directed me to post here as I replied the following to her:

Hi Afsana,

I had a look and indeed, I can login to the account myself but none of the other admins can.

In fact, when looking at this in more details – I notice that ALL of the users have had their roles reset. This would have happened as part of trying to run one of Defender’s recommended security patches.

This is still quite a problem as we have no idea what roles anyone is assigned anymore.

We’re going to have to take some time to go through all the users (there are nearly 400) and try and reassign their roles.

Please let the devs know that this happened as I’m sure it’s not a desired result of the plugin.

Many thanks,

Michael

And she replied…

Hello Michael,

I am sorry for the inconvenience that you are facing with Defender. We need to review and investigate further, as it could be a conflict with another plugin or even a combination of things that led to this error.

Can you please respond back to your Support Ticket Forum, where our Support Experts will look into this for you.

Thank you.

It’s all working fine now our end and as it turns out after speaking with the clients, most of the users were subscriber only so I did a bulk role change for them. Just waiting to hear who had been granted admin access and I can make those changes too so in the end, all is sorted and we don’t need any more help with this but I know that Afsana wanted the devs to be made aware that this happened as mentioned above.

Thanks again and appreciate the help!

Michael

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Michael

Hope you’re doing well!

It is strange that the User Roles were reset. It will only explain if some tables from a user role plugins were using a 3rd party wp_capabilities entry’s prefix in it, and it was requiring changes prefix as well. In this case, the Defender plugin is not detecting entries inside the tables.

Please let us know what user role manager plugin you’re using on your site so we could investigate this further?

Please advise,

Kind regards,

Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.