UNABLE TO LOGIN TO WORDPRESS SITE

Hello!

I am a new WPMU DEV user and I really wish i posted this thread to a right place.

I am very glad I joined this since
I have been developing our WordPress site for quite a while now
and things alway seem to run smoothly until I run into countless
of technical problems with the WordPress and mostly with the Plugins.

I realise I am currently using to many plugins (more than 70) since using too many of them slows the site down but that is only temporary because I am testing different plugins to find out which ones are the most useful for the website.

This time the problem is that when I go to the wp-admin of our site to log into the site, it only shows blank screen.

I have had this same problem earlier.
Our hosting company solved the issue that time by giving us the error log, which showed the problem was caused by one of the plugins and deleting it solved the problem,
kind of similiar problem and fixing of it like in another thread on this forum

The problem this time is that for this one site we have another hosting company and when I login to the cPanel and go to the "error log" it does not show any problems.

I still assume the problem is caused by some of the plugins but this time I don't know which one of them it is causing the trouble!

I have updated the WordPress installation and also all the Plugins are allways updated in time.

I have unfortunately not yet downloaded the WPMU DEV DASHBOARD plugin yet or any other WPMU DEV plugins yet.

This means I can not give access for the support team either to enter my WordPress dashboard and I can not login to there myself either :slight_frown:

Please if there is anyone to helpo me it would be higly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Tuomo,

Quickest way to check if that is problem with plugin is to login to FTP or use cPanel file manager and go to wp-content and rename directory "plugins" to another name (like plugins1). This way you will disable at once all plugins and you should be able to login again.
    If that will not help you will need to do the same with themes directory.

But in order to find real culprit is to enable debug log in WordPress. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it. I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to dropbox like a service and paste link here.
    You will need to generate debug.log with plugins enabled - so error will show up there.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Tuomo

Hello Kasia and thanks a lot for the reply!

I was able to login to WordPress again by changing the name of the "plugins" folder.

I was actually able to discover the problem by opening the error log by logging to the FTP server from cPanel
    -->I opened the root directory of the WordPress installation-->error_log
    I opened this error_log file and noticed the errors are being caused by the "feed them social" plugin.

The error code is:
    [Tim -Dec-2016 23:58:41 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home/kauneush/public_html/kauneushoitolanuusisivusto/wp-content/plugins/feed-them-social/admin/feed-them-settings-page.php on line 69

Now I actually see the problem has been since 21th of december :slight_frown:

What I am wondering about is why is there this issue with this plugin that has high ratings and has been downloaded more than 40 000 times?

Previously I had the same issue with the Events Calendar Plugin.
    The whole site crashed because of this plugin!

And this one plugin has more than 400 000 downloads and 4.6 star rating out of more than 1000 reviews.

On top of that with the Events Calendar Plugin TWO of my WordPress sites crashed completely, and immidiately started working again after deleting the plugin. The sites were hosted in different hosting providers...

There is another error found from the error log at 4.12. 5.12. and 6.12.
    [04-Dec-2016 03:53:10 UTC] PHP Warning: implode(): Invalid arguments passed in /home/kauneush/public_html/kauneushoitolanuusisivusto/wp-content/themes/spa/taxonomy.php on line 45

I am worried is there something wrong with my WordPress sites since there are problems with plugins that should not cause any problems. Could it even mean that my sites are hacked or something?!

Thank you for all the help.

• Nithin

Hi Tuomo,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

What I am wondering about is why is there this issue with this plugin that has high ratings and has been downloaded more than 40 000 times?

I checked your mentioned plugin, and on giving a closer look, this issue was related to the plugin itself, and the latest version(v2.1.3) of this plugin has a fix related to this issue, and it should work fine in your system:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/update-broken-8/
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/feed-them-social/

On top of that with the Events Calendar Plugin TWO of my WordPress sites crashed completely, and immidiately started working again after deleting the plugin. The sites were hosted in different hosting providers.

If I'm not mistaken, is this the plugin you are talking about?
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/

If you still have issues with that plugin, would recommend that you check whether there is any other plugin that's causing a conflict, by running a plugin conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart):
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If you still find that, the Events calendar plugin is still causing trouble, would recommend that you get in touch with the plugins support to get this resolved faster:
    https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/the-events-calendar

There is another error found from the error log at 4.12. 5.12. and 6.12.
    [04-Dec-2016 03:53:10 UTC] PHP Warning: implode(): Invalid arguments passed in /home/kauneush/public_html/kauneushoitolanuusisivusto/wp-content/themes/spa/taxonomy.php on line 45

I suppose you're using a premium theme. This seems to be more of a warning notice, and it shouldn't break your website in any way. However, if you still want to fix that notice, would recommend that you get in touch with your theme developer.

I am worried is there something wrong with my WordPress sites since there are problems with plugins that should not cause any problems. Could it even mean that my sites are hacked or something?!

If you are only worried about the above mentioned issues, then you don't have to :slight_smile: These are more of an issue caused by conflict, and I couldn't notice anything what you have said, that could cause your website to be hacked.

You can install the Defender plugin which would help make your website more secure, and it runs periodic scans in your website to check for any malicious scripts. If you still have doubts, you can grant us support access, so that we could give a closer look at your system to check for any such anomalies.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Tuomo

Great!

Thanks a lot for the quick responses Nithin and Kasia.

Actually the Feed Them Social is working now once I updated it.

I will try the same thing with the events calendar and yes
      it is the same plugin you mentioned Nithin.
      https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/

One more thing.

Is there a good plugin that would automatically update the plugins?

It is not nice to see after a week that your website has actually
      down because an plugin that was not updated!

For this I think you do have the website uptime monitoring, I will just install it as soon as possible.

And for the automatic plugin updates I know there is plugins that
      do the work but do they work with Caching plugins?

If I start using the WPMUDEV speed plugins and Smush image conpression,
      Will the plugin auto update work seamlessly without problems?

I ask this because most caching plugins recommend clearing the cache
      before changing any plugins.

Then If the plugins would be updated automatically
      the cache would not be cleared before updating the plugins.

Thanks a lot again and have a nice day!

• Rupok

Hi Tuomo,

Thanks for asking. If you install and activate our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, your site will be registered under your account. After that, you will be able to update everything on your site from The Hub (https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/my-websites/ ).

Regarding caching plugins, I'm afraid, The Hub or any third party plugins won't clear the cache automatically before updating your plugins and themes. So you will have to manually clear your cache and then run global update from the Hub.

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.