Unclear about useage of mu-plugins

Hello,

On my second install, so this time I am going thru step by step. Noticed some inconsistent info between the usage, and the manual.

In the manual, it says that some plugins must be uploaded to the mu-plugins folder, and uses domain mapping as an instance of this rule. In the usage for domain mapping, it says to upload this plugin to the normal plugin folder.

I ask this because I have several plugins, and not one in the mu-plugins folder. Is there a list of plugins I need to move over to the mu-plugins folder? Or is it okay for it to be in the normal folder so long as the given plugin is network activated?

Thanks in advance!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello WAARBA,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums !

Must-use plugins (a.k.a. mu-plugins) are plugins installed in a special directory inside the content folder and which are automatically enabled on all sites in the installation. Must-use plugins do not show in the Plugins page of wp-admin and cannot be disabled except by removing the plugin file from the must-use directory, which is found in wp-content/mu-plugins by default

Reference here

Is there a list of plugins I need to move over to the mu-plugins folder?

Any plugin which you want to be network activated by default, and do not want anyone to disable them, can be put in the mu-plugins folder.

Or is it okay for it to be in the normal folder so long as the given plugin is network activated?

Well, if you want to put some plugin in mu-plugins that would be activated by default, eg Any anti spam plugin, if you put them in mu-plugins, there is no way they can be deactivated unless removed from the mu-plugins folder :slight_smile:

Now, its upto you what all plugins you want to be network activated and do not want to be disabled by anyone.

Please let me know if you have more questions on the same and I would be glad to answer them or search for an answer for ya !

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.