Under Attack with Defender installed and routinely scanned

i have a dedicated server with more than 80 websites hosted. we have been under attack the last fews days. we have defender installed and run routine scans, but it doesn't appear to be helping. what else can we do? do it help to install defender onto our server? etc.?

• James Morris

Hello martin,

Sorry to hear you're having these issues lately.

Well, the way to look at it is this... If your sites haven't been hacked, then yes, it was worth it to install Defender.

Defender isn't a firewall application. It's more of a local security system and hardener. While there is the ability to block IPs based on activity, that won't stop attackers from rotating their IP and making another attempt.

On my personal blog, a very small site with minimal traffic, I routinely get a few thousand blocked access attempts each month. Defender has stopped them all and my site has been running fine.

If you're finding that you're under a great deal of attack and it is impacting your site's ability to serve content to legitimate users, then you'll need to consider additional tools. Using a service such as Cloudflare often helps reduce this a great deal. There's also WordFence which has a good reputation.

The biggest thing you'll want to do is analyze your logs and determine the nature and source of the attacks. If you're finding that you are getting a large number hack attempts from a country that is outside of your target audience, you can use a plugin like WordFence to block that entire country. You'll also want to take a look at what content they are trying to access.

I hope this shines a little light on the issue for you. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help!

Best regards,

James Morris