Under What scenarios does Snapshot restore a site and under What scenarios does it NOT restore

OK first of I am new here so I apoligize if I am repeating topics already covered. I have searched the forum threads and it seems that there are more questions than answers regarding this plugin. I suppose that is only to be expected considering the variables that are at play in backup/restore scenarios.

What I would like to have in one place are the scenarios that work with Snapshot and those that do not.

I have listed the scenarios that I could think of below. I invite anyone else that has used Snapshot in these scenarios, to list the actions taken and the result. I am assuming the worst case that the site has been hacked and a clean install is needed to be sure that no malingering threats exist.

Scenarios;
Scenario One
Single site to Single site.
Backup/Restore Server, SAME.
Backup/Restore Domain, SAME.
Backup/Restore WP Version, SAME.
Backup/Restore Plugins Versions, SAME.
Required Action To Restore: Install WP, Table pre-fix same as backuped WP install. Install Snapshot. Copy snapshot backup zips to new server.
Result of Action: SUCCESS?

Scenario Two
Backup/Restore Server, DIFFERENT.
Required Action To Restore: Install WP, Table pre-fix same as backuped WP install. Install Snapshot. Copy snapshot backup zips to new server.

Scenario Three
Backup/Restore Domain, DIFFERENT.
Required Action To Restore: NONE Snapshot cannot currently perfom this operation.
Result of Action: FAILURE.

Scenario Four
Backup/Restore WP Version, DIFFERENT.
Required Action To Restore:
Result of Action:

Scenario Five
Backup/Restore Plugins Versions, DIFFERENT - Version of Snapshot for the Backup older than Restore version.
Result of Action: ??

Scenario Six
Single site to MULTI site. Taking a single site and restoring it as a site an already existing Multi site env.
Required Action To Restore: I do not believe that Snapshot currently supports this operation. I am wrong??

Scenario Seven
Multi site to Single site. - Taking an indiv. site from a Multi site env. and restoring to a single site env.
Required Action To Restore: I do not believe that Snapshot currently supports this operation. I am wrong??
Result of Action:

Scenario Eight
Multi site to Multi site.

Scenario Nine
Backup/Restore Server, DIFFERENT.

Scenario Ten
Backup/Restore Domain, DIFFERENT.
Required Action To Restore: Snapshot does not currently support this operation
Result of Action: FAILURE?

Scenario Eleven
Backup/Restore WP Version, DIFFERENT.
Required Action To Restore:??

Scenario Twelve
Backup/Restore Plugins Versions, DIFFERENT - Version of Snapshot for the Backup older than Restore version.

I have no doubt overlooked some possibilities, what I am hoping to achieve here is some clarity, because in my experience the restore process is stressful enough, without having unknowns hanging over ones head.

Feel free to add scenarios of your own and to provide the ACTIONS & RESULTS that you have experienced.

• Paul Barthmaier

I was kidding of course and I appreciate you taking the time to ask such a detailed question. Right now I am working on developing tools to provide answers like the one you describe and I love to have the answers as well! For this I will approach the developer directly, but I must say that he is out of the office for the next week, so we won't be able to count on a reply for a while.

Hope this helps! I'm looking forward to his reply as well when he's back.

Cheers,
    Paul

• Paul

@samsung,

I think a couple of definitions need to be considered here. These are of course OUR definitions

Restore - This implied recover or rebuild of the initial site/system etc.
    Migration - This is moving a site from its current location to somewhere else. The somewhere else meaning but not limited to:

a. Moving a single blog within a Multisite system to a new site within the same system.
    b. Moving a single blog within a Multisite system to a different Multisite system.
    c. Moving a single blog from a non-Multisite system into a Multisite system as a new blog.

As for your searching you should have seen this thread on exactly your scenarios. Ok, maybe not exactly. But there is already a long list of user waiting for Migration (our definition). https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/was-wondering-if-snapshot-can-backup-from-one-server-and-then-be-restored-on-another-server

As for your Scenarios I'm unclear if you are asking if Snapshot supports these different situations or if you have taken this upon yourself to test and you are providing the results.

I will say in looking at the list 1-5 will be handled but will not consider things like #4 where you stated WordPress version is different. I really can't see how this would even be possible or needed. The restore version should always match the version from the archive.

The script I've been working on will allow you to run the migration from a new remote server without the need to first install WordPress. You basically provide a URL to the Snapshot archive somewhere on the internet. It will be retrieved. As part of the snapshot archive manifest we capture the version of WordPress used during the creation. As that point the specific version of WordPress is downloaded from wordpress.org unzipped and setup. Then the script will restore table and files (media, plugins, themes). As part of the install of WordPress a new wp-config.php is created by the user. From this the migration script determines the site url and table prefixes. These values are adjusted during the table inserts.

As for the Multisite scenarios these are somewhat more difficult. Snapshot does not automatically include the common tables like wp_users and wp_usermeta . Nor does it include plugins and themes. So for Multisite migrations this is a different and manual step the admin need to perform. In other words you can't just take some previously generated snapshot archive and move it to a new system. So the most common scenario is splitting off a single site from within a Multisite system. Again not difficult. Just have to be sure and include all the data.

Moving a single site within a Multisite system is fairly simple and there are plenty of current tools to do this. So adding this to Snapshot will be later as we are trying to address to bigger needs like single to single, Multisite to single first.

Then probably eventually we will come up with a clean way to do a migration of a Multisite system from server to server. This seems to be another common request. But really that can/should be managed outside of WordPress. It should be easy enough to pick up the entire system and send to a new server. Though I guess that really depends on the destination configuration.

• samsung

@Paul Thanks for the reply. Lets deal with your answers/questions one by one in the order that you have wrtten them.

I have no problem with your definitions, the scenarios that I detailed use backup/restore and the scenario itself describes the conditions/variables under which that takes place, anyway lets not get bogged down on semantics.

I am looking for an anwser to the question

" Under what conditions will a restore be successful, using Snapshot, what are the pre-requisites and actions to take" And by answer I mean a detailed step by step guide. I have read the Usage instructions and they do not cover the Restore process, which seems an oversight in my opinion. Maybe I have missed something and this exists. If so please point me in the right direction, as I said I am new here, and probably have not found or seen something obvious.

As for the thread that you linked to. Yes I have read it and many others in trying to find an answer to my question, this thread only addresses one scenario and is essentially a long list of people saying that no this is NOT supported by Snapshot, but I would love it if it were.

As for your Scenarios I'm unclear if you are asking if Snapshot supports these different situations or if you have taken this upon yourself to test and you are providing the results.

From my original, maybe overlong post

I have listed the scenarios that I could think of below. I invite anyone else that has used Snapshot in these scenarios, to list the actions taken and the result. I am assuming the worst case that the site has been hacked and a clean install is needed to be sure that no malingering threats exist.

Your point

I will say in looking at the list 1-5 will be handled but will not consider things like #4 where you stated WordPress version is different. I really can't see how this would even be possible or needed. The restore version should always match the version from the archive.

So are you really saying that Scenarios 1,2,3,5 and the actions that I have listed and needed to be taken are correct and that the RESULT would be a successful restore, because I thought from my research here on these forums that No 3 is not possible. I am also not sure whether I have correctly listed the actions needed to take in each case, either. You putting me right would be much appreciated.

As for Scenario 4, I understand, you "really can't see how this would even be possible or needed". I was trying to cover all the bases, this post is as much for other people possible benefit as mine. Remember my assumption listed in my post, that a complete reinstall is needed, due to the original site being hacked. Again I may have the wrong end of the stick and please correct me I list the actions needed as Required Action To Restore: Install WP, Table pre-fix same as backuped WP install. Install Snapshot. Copy snapshot backup zips to new server. So if that is the case then this scenario envisages the backuped copy being say WP 3.4.1 and the copy that is then installed to allow Snapshot to be installed is say WP 3.4.2. I can imagine this happening where the backup is done before a WP upgrade, and the user installs the newer version when trying to get the site back up.

You then go on to describe that the Multiste scenarions are more difficult and that you are working on some functionailty to address this. That sounds great, but I only really interested in what the software can do now and how to do it. I know your plugin backups and was a dream to set up. What I want to know is under what circumstances I can rely on it to restore, and what are the steps needed to take in these scenarios to restore. So what if any of the multiste scenarios work NOW and what are the steps to take to get a successful restore?

I have searched on the forums and read many many thousands of words, but clarity on this topic still evades me. I am also well aware that I could so easily have missed that information, and be wasting your time, and if that is the case point me in the direction of the information, and please accept my apologise for wasting your time.

Cheers

• Paul

That sounds great, but I only really interested in what the software can do now and how to do it

Apologies, I thought I made this clear before. Snapshot currently does not support migrations. Any time you mention in your scenarios different server/domain or copy of the snapshot zip file that is outside of what Snapshot will handle. Are we trying to get Snapshot to handle migration, yes. That was my point of pointing you to that other thread. In our terms that thread started as a feature request. When other members vote on adding features to our plugin. We are community! Plus that thread serves a purpose of having the ability to notify the user who are interested in the migration beta version when ready.

As of the current version Snapshot will only handle restore to the same server/domain/blog from where the backup occurred. Meaning the snapshot zip file is not moved/touched on any way. If there is a need to reinstall WordPress. The snapshot archive will need to be imported via the Snapshot > Setting page. Then the restore can be performed.

So basically we are talking about:

Scenario Zero
    Required Action To Restore: Install WP, Table pre-fix same as backuped WP install. Install Snapshot. Via Snapshot > Settings run import of zip archive. Then select archive to restore
    Result of Action: SUCCESS? YES

Does this mean you can't try and move a site to a new server using Snapshot? Or course no. But it does mean do not officially support that migration process at this time.

• samsung

Thanks for the clarification so your Scenario Zero matches my Scenario One in my original Post, OK good we are getting somewhere. You mentioned only single site to single site, BUT does your plugin not support this Scenario

Scenario Eight

And wouldn't the result be success, I thought I read somewhere that this was possible and supported, but I am ready to be put right.

Thanks for the help.

• Paul

@samsung,

No, Scenario #8 does not work. As mentioned prior none of your scenarios are considered to work as at the moment Snapshot does not officially support any forms of migration. In all your scenarios you have "Copy snapshot backup zips to new server." By definition this is migration.

As I stated in my previous reply and again here for the final reply. Snapshot only support Scenario 0 where the restore occurs on the same server for the same given WordPress installation. Nothing is changed and no snapshot file is copied from one location to another.

As also per my previous reply I will restate in some situations you might be able to perform a migration of a site using Snapshot. But this is not officially supported and will not be given support in these forums.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.