underscore in email address rejected for user subscription.

In trying to subscribe a new use (As the site admin, I perform new author subscriptions), I'm getting the following message: "Only lowercase letters (a-z) and numbers are allowed." Since there are no uppercase letters or funky symbols, the only thing I think it could be is an underscore in the email address separating the users first and last name. Have you encountered this issue before and found a solution?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @wadams92101,

I hope you are well today and thanks for posting on the forum.

Could you please tell me a bit more in detail about the issue so that i can troubleshoot it?

The details like from where are subscribing a new user and whether are you using the functionality provided by any plugin/theme?

Please share me the exact email address that you are using.

Please advise.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• wadams92101
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for your response. Not sure how to answer that. It's a multi-site. It has about 40 plugins, some locally activated and some network activated. It uses a Genesis child theme. In my admin capacity, I tried to register the person in the role of Author.

• wadams92101
    • The Crimson Coder

UPDATE, the problem apparently has nothing to do with the underscore. I just tried a couple of test registrations using more standard format emails and got the same error message. I also deactivated all plugins on the site and still got the error message. So I'm at a loss. Genesis did a recent update - so that's suspect. I'm going to give you access at the dashboard.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello wadams92101,

I'm sorry for that, but we don't get notifications when members are granting us access - if you didn't post about access then without your answer your thread didn't jump again to my queue.
    If problem still persist please grant access again and let me know about this (I'm subscribing to this thread, so I will get info about your new message on my mail).

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi wadams92101

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Previously you said "yet I just got a new registration from outside. Bizarre - so its only blocking registrations done by the admin" and then we got this "I also was just able to register the user from another computer (my iPad). So it has something to do with the computer / PC from which I was attempting the registration"

So can you please mention when you were able to register the user, did you try to register from outside or from admin panel? Can you please try with another browser and check if the problem is still there or not?

As you said "In my admin capacity, I tried to register the person in the role of Author", I just logged in with Support Access in your site, created an user with username "test" and email had an underscore in it. But I was successful in creating that user and giving super admin access to that user. Then I added that user to one of your subsites (http://sanfrancisco.urbdezine.com) and given him author role from the Dashboard and I was also successful this time. So I could not regenerate the issue on your site.

Am I missing something?

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• wadams92101
    • The Crimson Coder

1) I cannot register a user from the admin panel on my PC at work for any role (author, contributor, subscriber) with any user name (underscore, numbers, letters - all result in same message).

2) I have tried all browsers.

3) If I use my iPad Verizon card - no problem.

4) It seems to be related to my service provider (ATT) at work.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello wadams92101,

To be 100% sure - on both computer you are logged as Super Admin of your network, yes? I also couldn't replicate this issue but I found information that "normal" subsites admins have some restrictions when it comes to adding new members - so I would like to exclude this possibility.
    Can you show me screen on this error you see?

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.