Understanding cloning with CLONE

Hi,

I have cloned a subsite.
Now I have many issues mainly 404 errors by the source subsite.
Only for my curiosity I have searched using "Search and Replace" plugin to check new subsite.
The new subsite (cloned) still has some url's from the source cloned subsite.

I though when cloning a subsite, the new one should not have any kind of sign from the source subsite. Isn't it right?

You can see by the print screen . that some registers still direct to the source subsite.

Cheers

• Nastia

Hello mpress

I hope you are doing well today!

The Clone plugin is cloning the Settings, Posts, Pages, Menus, Users and etc.

In case you have selected to copy post and pages, the content along with the URLs inside will be copied ad well. The plugin doesn't change the URLs inside the content like "Search and Replace" plugin does, plus the "Search and Replace" plugin are only changing the domain/URL of WordPress installation. Not the content itself.

If you need to replace links in content please try the Velvet Blues Update URLs plugin.

Now I have many issues mainly 404 errors by the source subsite.

Is the are only the URLs in content didn't change? Or you having 404 error on pages and posts? Would you please share a link to a post/page soI could have a closer look?

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Nastia

Hello mpress

I visited the /verrijzenisgemeenschap/ subsite and can't replicate the 403 error. The 403 error is related to server permissions.

The response from your server that you are mentioning here are related to a font that is not loading, related to the "Better Font Awesome" plugin.

Probably the plugin was deactivated at that time. I tested these pages and can't replicate these 404 errors.

I've checked the Security logs on your site and indeed there are a lot of 404 errors lead to the subsite. Although I couldn't find any records for 403 error.

The errors above doesn't explain the 403 errors users are having. Like you mentioned in here, this is related to iThemes plugin. The plugin might blocking the IP address of the users.

Hosting company can sometimes make accidental changes to their server settings. This may result in 403 Forbidden error on your site.

Just for a change, would you please try for a small period of time the Sucuri Security plugin just for a change to make sure that the 403 errors are not caused by a iTheme Security plugin?

Please advise,

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• mpress

EDITED
      Thanks @Nastia,

Before I try it our:

Is there a way to track the 403 errors?

Is the are only the URLs in content didn't change? Or you having 404 error on pages and posts? Would you please share a link to a post/page soI could have a closer look?

It looks like to be random. A visitor comes to a page. it works perfect. After some sec/mins they get a 404 error and after some sec/min they can access that [age with no problem at all.

If you need to replace links in content please try the Velvet Blues Update URLs plugin.

I would like to replace the source cloned urls by the new subsite. It looks like reasonable to want this. But I read this: https://s.w.org/plugins/velvet-blues-update-urls/screenshot-1.png?r=1549134

about the Guids. May I consider my new subsite as a development site?

Does the SEarch and Replace plugin the same as the Velvet plugin?

Cheers!

• Nastia

Hello mpress

Is there a way to track the 403 errors?

The errors might be shown in server error logs

It looks like to be random. A visitor comes to a page. it works perfect. After some sec/mins they get a 404 error and after some sec/min they can access that [age with no problem at all.

If the 403 forbidden error is random, it most likely an issue with a plugin activated on your installation.
    And because they are random, I suspect the security plugin may causing that. Would you please contact with iThems security support team as well, they might be familiar with the issue.

Please share their response to us.

I would like to replace the source cloned urls by the new subsite. It looks like reasonable to want this. But I read this: https://s.w.org/plugins/velvet-blues-update-urls/screenshot-1.png?r=1549134

about the Guids. May I consider my new subsite as a development site?

GUID is an acronym for Globally Unique Identifier :alien:

It is a little bit beyond Wordpress :slight_smile:

You do not need to update them if you are not generating RSS feeds. You will need to update theme only if you’re migrating from a dev or staging site to live and the site has never been live before.

And if you have already replaced the main domain name after migration inside your database, the GUIDs are already updated.

After writing this I went through and checked the itsec_logs. There I have a lot of logs with errors on finding css files that don’t exist (anymore?)

Please check the guide from the iThemes:
    Fixing iThemes Security Lockouts

Based on the above article it is a very common issue to having 404 errors with the iTheme Security plugin. And it is advised to fix them manually.

I've also found this information that the issue might be related to a server.

A quote from the article:

Ensure that any cURL calls or server to server calls contain a user agent and referral header. If your requests do not have these headers, iThemes Security will block your request.

Please contact with your server provider to make sure that this is a case.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.