understanding css in relation to 'buddypress components' and possible staging server/pagel

Been a long day. I still don't understand what is happening, though I now have an idea of what is supposed to happen, if that makes sense.

I created a child theme and somehow activated it. No edits I made seemed to take effect. Until, suddenly, they seemed to. I am using safari with developer tools on the mac and pagely hosting, using cyberduck to sftp into pagely to edit the css files and create folders etc.

So. I thought maybe I knew what I was doing, after making a small visual edit to the body style I give below. But then, the store menu didn't work; the store menu had been a link I had hard coded into the menu by posting the url http://www.magazinename.com/store into the WP menu creator; it had created a link to a broken page and a drop down which included 'products' which worked.

So, it seemed like my child theme was working; a line of code I had pasted in seemed to have altered the layout of the body font, creating a nice visual space between paragraphs which before had been run together.

Here is that code, which I copied from another site. I'm bad at CSS.

p { padding-bottom: 10px; /*line-height: 24px;*/ }

So I had fixed one thing and broken the store somehow. So, I deactivated the child theme, went back to the main theme.

1. the store menu was back and worked. Expected.
2. The spacing edit was still working. Not expected.

I did stuff, trying to back out my edit, to the child theme, deleting files in it one by one, and then to the child.css file in the parent theme, etc. Nothing I did seemed to return the type galley to it's original all run together look. huh.

I tried to turn the child theme back on. It was no longer an option, instead I had a 'buddy press child theme is broken, needs style.css' note.

So I added the style.css.

Now it said it needed a template file.

Weirdly I had no memory that the first time I did it that it needed a template file. I gave it the function.php file you suggested in your last message to me. Nope. Oh, only now, instead of saying BPmagazine child theme, it said, BP magazine theme, like it didn't see that directory as being named child anymore. Huh.

So I got rid of the child theme and tried to do it all from scratch again.

The same thing happened.

l did that a few more times. Another twenty or thirty minutes of my life went away.

I could never get the child theme working again.

Using the inspector tool I zoomed in on a paragraph and found the line of code that I had commented out of the child.css file was still affecting the paragraphs I had been trying to format, but which I was now trying to back-out.

I opened the file with cyberduck, and saw the file, with the line of css commented out.

So. This made me think I do not understand pagelys 'staging server,.' perhaps.

Then, I opened the CSS, the top level style.css that wordpress first demands to try to make my child theme work, and read this in what is plainly a stub file:

Theme Name: BuddyPress Magazine Theme
Theme Date: 12102009
Version: 4.1.7
Theme URI: https://premium.wpmudev.org/
Description: The Magazine theme for BuddyPress. A magazine dark theme for your own magazine and community and BuddyPress 1.2.
Author: Tammie Lister - WPMU DEV - The WordPress Experts
Author URI: https://premium.wpmudev.org
License: GNU General Public License, v2 (or newer)
License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
WDP ID: 118

Tags: buddypress, two-columns, fixed-width, threaded-comments

Uses BP-Default theme files and styling for BuddyPress components with some customisation for theme.
Included in theme to allow for own child themes rather than being child of BP-Default

The CSS, XHTML and design is released under GPL:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php
*/

/* 313961-1403217451-ai */

So, the 'style.css' here is really... what? BP components. Oh god. What and where are they?

I'm not using buddy press. I bought the market press plug ins and wanted to make a single magazine website with a store integrated into it for ebooks. I used your themes because I thought it would be easier.

But it seems like buddy press is adding a layer of complexity to the css dependicies, or I do not understand exactly how pagely is working or somehow, even though I have 'do not cache' turned on and I manually purge caches as well, somewhere somehow stuff is still cached somewhere, so I am not seeing my edits in a timely fashion.

The weird thing is I don't understand why I see non style related edits instantly, always, perfectly, every time; like writing posts and pages, those work as expected. I hit the button and boom, its there. But trying to edit the .css, trying to understand what .css to edit, has been defeating me now for about six hours straight.

I don't know what to do next. My deadline is blown.

I used to do stuff with wordpress thesis; I had a gui for a lot of formatted stuff and then I googled up .css I needed for other things and pasted that stuff into a child theme and it worked. I need to get back to that kind of functionality somehow with the market press plug in and store pages.

any thoughts?

Tyler Postle

Hey again Jay,

Thanks for all the detail here!

Here is what I'm thinking, for your needs here, you really only need the style.css in your child theme. In fact, if you are only going to do CSS edits, then all you really need is a custom CSS field which you can get by adding this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

This will give you a custom css field under Appearance > Custom CSS from your dashboard. From there you can add all the css edits you want

If you're edits aren't showing up right away that could be due to the caching plugin you have activated. While you are designing a site I would recommend turning off W3 Total Cache. Otherwise some edits won't show up right away because it will serve you the cached page from earlier.

Now it said it needed a template file.

Template file for the child theme will just be the style.css - the header contains information that is required for a theme to work in WordPress. Such as: Theme Name, and the template of the parent theme.

Uses BP-Default theme files and styling for BuddyPress components with some customisation for theme.

This theme was designed with BuddyPress in mind; on the other hand, it should work fine without Buddypress as well.

You can make all your CSS edits to the style.css in your child theme OR the plugin I suggested above.

It is worth noting, that MarketPress should work well with almost any theme so you can try it with thesis or any other WordPress theme you like. We're happy to help with CSS edits too when it comes to making everything work well on a different theme.

Hope this helps! Post back here if you have any further questions

All the best,
    Tyler