Understanding Custom Press

I've read a few things about CustomPress, and it sounds like it will be amazing. But I don't quite have my head around "CustomPress".

I'm guessing, what it does is say I have a site with very specific information. And I wanted writers to have an easy time of making sure the all the items of info are filled in, and they appear in a standard format on the visitor end of the site. And ideally, they are not distracted by other form fields that are normally in WP add a post, because I can make the "post type" only have those variables. Right?

Can someone explain what it does without using WP language? Maybe give an example?

• Mason

Hiya,

It sounds like you've got it exactly right.

In its simplest terms a "post" in WordPress is just a bucket for content. You can further define this content via taxonomies such as tags and categories.

That works fine for blogs, but what if you're not a blog? The default "post" bucket and taxonomies might not make sense.

So you can then create your own. If you wanted to make your own IMDB.com (movie database) you could do so with custompress.

You'd create a post_type of movies. And taxonomies for things like Genre (action, sci-fi, comedy, drama, etc..) Ratings (G, PG, PG-13, R, etc), Directors, Writers, whatever ya like. Probably a Featured Image to use as a poster as well. You could use custom fields for things like release dates.

So, now you've been able to define the exact needs for your particular area you can again define the display on the front-end however you like vs. the standard WordPress post display.

Custom posts give you all the control to fine-tune the experience exactly the way you like. Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.