Understanding featured image import

Hello,
i installed Autoblog, and i can't seem to make it work the way i need it although i see that all the options i need are available with this plugin.
What i need is this:
make my front page show posts from all other Multisite blogs. I want them to show the featured image (it won't import it although i activated the option), and to keep links from the excerpt if there are any. All other options work fine, i just don't understand what to do with Featured Images in terms of settings, and how to keep links inside excerpts.
Also, i only use the plugin for my main Multisite website, so should i activate everything locally or network-activated?
Thank you!
Maya.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Maya,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I'd recommend keeping the plugin non-network activated and then activating it via the main site > plugins.

For the featured image import, you'll only want that featured image import add-on activated and not the other image import add-on as well.

Do the images exist in the RSS feed? Could you post one of the RSS links your using please?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mayabi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I would really appreciate any help with this issue. I purchased this plugin because it's the only one that can do exactly what i need and i just can't seem to get it to aggregate the featured image.

Thank you,
    Maya.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Maya,

Hope you're well today, I've been testing this and have replicate the same issue, though I believe this is standard functionality and is the intention of how it should work.

I've flagged the lead developer for his valuable input on this :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mayabi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Jack,
    thank you for updating, Hope this can be solved :slight_smile:
    Arnold - i think i tried what you suggested and it still didn't work for me, i will try again. BTW i use a plugin to get the images in feeds, otherwise they wouldn't appear at all.
    Maybe there's a way to add "media:thumbnail" to an rss feed?

Have a good day,
    Maya.

• mayabi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you Arnold,
    unfortunately i still couldn't work it out.
    The article you suggested is talking about creating a plugin for Flipboard and i am not sure how this can affect the usual rss feed of WP? Plus, i'm not a programer and not into getting too 'dirty" with code, i just thought this plugin would do the job... i tried using the first image but it still wouldn't take it. I can see the thumbnail in the RSS feed, but it won't add it to the Media Library and add it to the Autoblog posts :slight_frown:
    Really hope i can solve this somehow. I tried several solutions from Google but nothing worked.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @mayabi,

Hope you're well today, While the post is about flipboard it also offers a good explanation of how to extend the WordPress rss feed.

Take a look about two thirds down's the article, you'll see this

add_filter( 'rss2_item', 'flipboard_attached_videos' );

function flipboard_attached_videos() {
        global $post;
        $attachments = get_posts( array(
            'post_type' => 'attachment',
            'post_mime_type' => 'video',
            'posts_per_page' => -1,
            'post_parent' => $post->ID,
            'exclude' => get_post_thumbnail_id()
        ) );
        if ( $attachments ) {
            foreach ( $attachments as $att ) {
                $video_url = wp_get_attachment_url( $att->ID );
                $parts = explode( '|', $att->post_content );
                ?>
                <media:content url="<?php echo $video_url; ?>" type="<?php echo $att->post_mime_type; ?>">
                    <media:description type="plain"><![CDATA[<?php echo $att->post_title; ?>]]></media:description>
                    <media:copyright><?php echo get_the_author(); ?></media:copyright>
                    <media:thumbnail url="<?php echo $parts[0]; ?>" width="<?php echo $parts[1]; ?>" height="<?php echo $parts[2]; ?>" />
                </media:content>
                <?php
            }
        }

If you check that it's adding the media:thumbnail part to the feed output, which is what you need correct?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mayabi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Arnold - it seems fine in the printscreen you attached. For me, it just takes everything i need from the post except the featured image.
    I will try the plugin on another site, just to see if it's something with my system and not with the plugin. It looks like there's something in my website that's interrupting this feature.
    And one small question - can i make links in the excerpt work as links and not as text?

Thank you for all the help!
    Maya.

• mayabi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you Arnold, I appreciate your efforts!

I've tried the plugin in another website with the same RSS feeds. It worked great, which means that this specific website has gone terribly messy somewhy, there's just something preventing it from showing the featured images although the RSS is OK.
    I tried turning off some plugins, but it didn't solve the problem.
    Also checked Suffusion's settings as you suggested- all seems fine.
    I'm out of ideas :slight_frown: hope i will come up with something. Anyway the plugin is working, thank you so much for helping!
    I'd be happy to hear more ideas if someone has a direction, and i will update once i solve it.

Maya.

• mayabi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

An update-
    i tried aggregating a new feed, and it worked fine including the featured images. I'm afraid that the plugin "remembers" the feeds which don't work, and even after uninstalling and deleting the plugin, and installing it again - it won't get those feed's images because of some traces.
    Do you think removing all the plugin's strings from the DB would make it work as fresh?

Thanks again,
    Maya.

• mayabi
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

No, the images are not uploading. Only when i tried a new feed it uploaded its images + showed them in the posts, but not with the feeds that did all the "trouble", that's why i think deleting strings from the DB might work (make WP forget about the older feeds)?

I think that the plugin is working fine, i just have those 9 specific feeds which don't work.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.