Understanding Levels on Pro Sites

Ok, just so I make sure I understand the levels, in pro sites.. correct me if I am wrong.
Ok.. each level represents a certain membership access, correct.
But users can have like 2, 5, 8 Levels.. and only have access to what those levels have access to, correct?
In otherwords, if a usera has 2, & 5 they don't need to upgrade levels progressively, say 1, 2,3, 4 in that order, right? They can be on level 3, 8, 10 all independently of other levels, right? I hope so. Thanks again.

• Craig

Ok.. if I click a level upgrade... on prosites checkout page... http://automated.church/pro-site/?bid=7, shouldn't the button stay active.. so that the user is confident that they have selected the right one?
    Also.. is it possible.. to add a cart total.. so that they are confident of what they are being charged..
    Cause what if they change their upgrade...
    Or then change it again...
    Then they aren't even sure if the system accepted it.. or any way of being sure which one they have selected..
    Also.. is it possible to add 2 levels, or 3 at a time.. to the cart??
    And then they can purchase subscriptions to multiple levels??
    Thanks.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Craig,

I hope you're well today and thank you for you question!

The "Pro Sites" plugin should not be considered as a "membership plugin" as it's not for "access control". The main goal for the plugin is to let you sell websites on your WordPress Multisite network.

A "level" is not a membership but rather a "package of features" that user gets for his/her site when he/she creates it.

A "level" is not assigned to the user but to the site. A user can create multiple sites, that's true, but a site can be assigned to a single "level" only. That level determines e.g. which plugins and themes can be used on a given site, how many images can be uploaded to it (in terms of total file size) etc. That is "per site" setting.

But users can have like 2, 5, 8 Levels.. and only have access to what those levels have access to, correct?

No, in case of "Pro Sites" user does not have any membership. A sub-site of your site however has a "level". A user that is an admin of that sub-site can upgrade the site to another level but that's not assigned to the user but to the site. Such site can only be assigned a single level at a time.

In otherwords, if a usera has 2, & 5 they don't need to upgrade levels progressively, say 1, 2,3, 4 in that order, right? They can be on level 3, 8, 10 all independently of other levels, right?

Let's say that there are 5 levels on your multisite. A user "A" signed up for "level 1" thus the site (let's call it "site 1") has been created for him. That site has only access to selected plugins and themes that you - as a super-admin - have chosen and allowed for "level 1".

Now the user A (who's an admin of "site 1") can upgrade "site 1". That doesn't have to be a "progressive" update. Admin of "site 1" can select any of available levels (or "packages") depending on his/her needs. The site can be upgraded directly to level 3 or level 5 or level 2, it's all up to its admin.

If that same user has created another site, she/he could initially select e.g. level 4 for that site because he/she needed to use a plugin that's only available with level 4. Then the site can again be upgraded to level 5 or even downgraded to any other level. That's not related in any way to the level of "site 1" which is a second site belonging to the same user.

Ok.. if I click a level upgrade... on prosites checkout page... http://automated.church/pro-site/?bid=7, shouldn't the button stay active.. so that the user is confident that they have selected the right one?

I'm not really sure what do you mean by "the right one" - is that the "level" that user selected from pricing table should stay active?

Also.. is it possible.. to add a cart total.. so that they are confident of what they are being charged..

A "cart" is not there because there's actually nothing that could be added to cart. An upgrade is "per site" and not "per user" so an admin of the site performs an upgrade and that upgrade is always for the site she/he is logged in to. A single site cannot have multiple levels active at once, level can only be "switched".

If you have any further questions, let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Craig

Awesome.. this is what I needed to know... thank you soo much!!!
    Now.. another quick question..
    Then what would I do, if I wanted to sell Plugin groups, as packages or addons to sites.. with setupfee and then with subscription. So that they could pick and choose plugin sets for addon functionality.. and then just forget ProSites altogether.. just a Membership Subscription site, but the membership packages are plugin sets with Premium Plugins Manager??

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Craig!

I assume that by "Premium Plugins Manager" you are referring to the feature of Pro Sites, is that right? That can't be used "all alone" but there's a plugin available from wp.org plugin repository that actually is a "base" of that feature here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-plugin-manager/

You could also use our Pretty Plugins plugin instead:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pretty-plugins/

It doesn't let you create "packages" but it does integrate with Pro Sites in a way that if a given plugin is not available for a particular level, tells user to upgrade to another one.

I realize that it's not quite what you wish to achieve but there's a reason why I'm still suggesting using Pro Sites: the Membership 2 Pro plugin that could be used for membership subscriptions doesn't include any tools to control what plugins/themes are available and doesn't let you grab "setup fee" etc.

I think the closest to what you wish to achieve could be setup in a bit different way:

1. Setup Pro Sits and create basic "levels" including different plugins and themes; such "levels" would be your "starter packages" (for different prices depending on features) and that would let your customers create their sites and would handle subscription.

2. Pro Sites lets you set a setup fee; it's an additional fee charged in order to setup the site at all, it's a one time payment in addition to a regular subscription. That would handle your setup fee.

At this point users can create their sites and you automatically charge them both one time setup fee and a recurring subscription. If a user wants to setup another site, he/she goes through the process again and you earn again (another setup fee and another recurring subscription payment)

The last thing that'd be left would be your add-on "plugin sets". That would require a bit of a manual work each time a "set" is purchased but should work:

- install MarketPress plugin and enable it only for your main site (so it would be one central store)

- create your "plugins sets" as "products" in MarketPress store; such a product would be nothing else but just a list/description of plugins included in the package, it would be set as "downloadable product" but as the file to be downloaded you could just use some "dummy file" such as e.g. a nice .pdf certificate of purchase or something similar

Then, the site owner comes to the store and browses through available "plugin sets" (products) and makes a purchase. Store should be set to allow purchases only for logged in users so when an order is placed and paid you would know exactly which user made a purchase. MarketPress allows you to grab additional information from user during checkout so that field can be used to ask user to tell you on which of his sites purchased plugin set should be activated.

Then when you get an order and see that it's already paid, you would login to your Multisite as a super-admin, go to the dashboard of the sub-site indicated by buyer and manually activate plugins included in that set.

That's not fully automated way but I think it would be closest to what you wish to achieve.

I think that could even be further automated but it would require quite a bit of custom coding and that would be outside of the scope of this forum so you might want to post a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Craig

You said..
    Then when you get an order and see that it's already paid, you would login to your Multisite as a super-admin, go to the dashboard of the sub-site indicated by buyer and manually activate plugins included in that set.
    But if https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-plugin-manager/
    Only has 3 user control options...1. none 2. prosites 3. all users 4. autoactivate
    Then how do I assign/activate specific plugins for specific sites only?
    Cause ProSites only allows level/plugin assignment??

• Craig

Ahhh.. I found it..
    To Override Plugin Access Per Site
    Visit the Network Admin -> Sites list
    Click the "Edit" link for the site you wish to modify
    Look at the bottom of the "Settings" tab screen for the per blog options

Ok, final question...
    Lets say..
    I want to sell packages of plugins using Marketplace.. I could do that setup fee + subscription, and as they added them to the cart.. it would total the subscriptions, correct, into one charge.. and as they cancelled subscriptions, it would reduce the overall subscription amount, correct?

Cause if it does that.. then we are definitely in business!!

Too bad we can't automate it all..
    That would be awesome!!!
    I really believe there others out there that want and need this functionality, though, it would make an amazing plugin, if this could be automated!!! =)

Thanks again for everything!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Craig,

I'm afraid that there's no direct integration between MarketPress and Pro Sites that would allow billing the subscription and "plugin packages" at once.

Your users will first need to purchase Pro Site subscription in order to get their site, after that they can purchase "plugin package" from MarketPress but this will not be connected to their Pro Sites payments.
    MarketPress only supports one time payments at the moment and products can't be billed in recurring fashion.

Because of this you won't be able to combine Pro Sites and MarketPress payments, users will be billed for Pro Sites each time the subscription expires but the MarketPress products will be one time payment.

Hope this clears things up :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.