Understanding Multisite Meta

I'm quite new to WP multisite and i'm still having trouble understanding fully how the user meta works in a WP multisite.
My objectives are this:
- Build a network of 300 sub-sites based on 10-15 templates (the NEW BLOG TEMPLATES plugin will be a huge help)
- Each sub-site has 1 external user (who is our client)
- Each external user has their own profile (names, specialties, zip code, etc)
- This profile can be viewed by other external users on the network. This is the part where i'm having trouble with.
What is the best way to allow other external users view another external user's profile, search (by radius) and connect with another external user?

Any pointers are appreciated.

• Rupok

Hi BW, hope you had a wonderful day.

- Build a network of 300 sub-sites based on 10-15 templates (the NEW BLOG TEMPLATES plugin will be a huge help)
    >> Can be done easily with NEW BLOG TEMPLATES

- Each sub-site has 1 external user (who is our client)
    >> Ok.

- Each external user has their own profile (names, specialties, zip code, etc)
    >> Do they already have their own profile or you are planning to build profiles for them? If they already have it, how did you do it? With BuddyPress?

- This profile can be viewed by other external users on the network. This is the part where i'm having trouble with.
    >> If you are using BuddyPress, then profiles will be public and anyone can see that. Can you try using your client profile with BuddyPress? As you are planning to connect them, BuddyPress will be the best option I believe.

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• BW

Hi Rupok,

Thank you. I've never used buddypress before and with your question, i am planning to build the profiles for each of my client.
    1. Can I assume buddypress works on WP multisite?
    2. Do I install buddypress on the main site of my WP multisite network?
    3. Do all of my clients have to be a user on the main site in order for buddypress to work as intended in your reply?

Another question, can I create 300 websites using a csv file that contains the website name, primary URL and user? and can I choose which template those 300 websites need to use?

• Nithin

Hi BW,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

1. Can I assume buddypress works on WP multisite?

Yes, BuddyPress works well with WP Multisite.

2. Do I install buddypress on the main site of my WP multisite network?

There are two ways in which you can implement BudddyPress, you can either network enable the Buddypress plugin, which makes the plugin accessible to each, and every subsite you create. Or if you are only looking to implement BuddyPress per subsite, you can enable the plugin through the plugins menu per subsite.

Please do note by default subsite, doesn't have a plugins menu, you'll have to enable it under Network admin, Settings > Network Settings > Enable Administration menus

3. Do all of my clients have to be a user on the main site in order for buddypress to work as intended in your reply?

By default, WordPress only have a one network list of users. Users are members of a network, and access to each subsite is added as per the registration performed through each subsite.

4. Can I allow user to sign up for an account on the main site of the WP multisite?

In terms of BuddyPress plugin, if the plugin is network enabled, the registration happens through the main site. If the plugin is enabled per subsite, the registration happens through each subsite. Still the users are added as a members of a network. If you are not using BuddyPress, by default registration as handled through the main site.

5. and then only authenticated user can create a sub-site under the WP multisite?

You could restrict your registration under network admin, Settings > Network Settings > Registration

If that doesn't fit your requirements, you could try the Moderate New Blogs plugin, which allows the network admin to activate the subsites created while registration. https://wordpress.org/plugins/moderate-new-blogs/

Another question, can I create 300 websites using a csv file that contains the website name, primary URL and user? and can I choose which template those 300 websites need to use?

You could try the Batch Create plugin for this, but I'm afraid there isn't any way to select a template provided by the New Blog templates plugin, you could try the workaround mentioned in this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-blog-template-batch-create

Pleas let me know if I have missed out anything, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi BW,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Another question, is it possible to for sub-sites to have custom meta fields attached to them? the same way as a user can have custom meta fields.

WordPress by default doesn't offer such feature, you could try the Multisite Directory plugin, where you can categorize subsite, and add description and more to it. Other than that, I'm afraid I couldn't find any plugins according to your requirements. I haven't tested this plugin extensively, so would recommend you to test it, and make sure whether it fits to your needs.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-directory/

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further help. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.