understanding what css is used by bp magazine theme

OK, so I have read about parent and child themes and can't get my child theme to actually do anything.

I created the child theme folder and activated it as described in the help files; I created subfolders inside the folder to replicate the parent themes hierarchy.

in the magazine theme, the style sheets are all coming out of the _inc folder, inside a folder in that titled css.

So I did that, making subfolders.

when I inspect elements I always see the pointers back to the parent directory, though, seems like.

I have tried to understand what the google typography plug in does, when it edits styes, but that is also opaque to me. Somehow, that works, on every page I create, the h4.headline style is now edited.

I only wish I had a plug in that let me edit all the styles with a GUI, since I can' figure out how the google plug in does it.

some questions:

what is child.css exactly?

it seems to me that if I'm replicating all these folder hierarchies in the child theme, that I will need to edit identically named files in the child directory--in which case what does child.css mean.

I'm stuck again not sure what to do next.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jay,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question, more than happy to help you out with this :slight_smile:

I created the child theme folder and activated it as described in the help files; I created subfolders inside the folder to replicate the parent themes hierarchy.

in the magazine theme, the style sheets are all coming out of the _inc folder, inside a folder in that titled css.

The childtheme folder with all the necessary files. The only file you NEED in a childtheme is the style.css one because it has the information that let's WordPress know it is a childtheme and any files it doesn't have use the parents. However, it is common to see a functions.php file in a child theme too for any functions you don't want overwritten.

The pre-setup child theme is in your themes "theme" folder. You can bring that out and put it in your main wp-content/theme folder and you will have a child theme :slight_smile:

when I inspect elements I always see the pointers back to the parent directory, though, seems like.

This is because any elements that you don't define styles for in your child themes .css file it will go to your parents theme and take it from there.

Your childs style.css can be blank and you would still have all your parents styles showing but you can easily over-ride your parents styles by adding new ones to the style.css.

I have tried to understand what the google typography plug in does, when it edits styes, but that is also opaque to me. Somehow, that works, on every page I create, the h4.headline style is now edited.

I believe this plugin is just for adding Google Fonts to your site. Looks like you can apply the fonts to certain CSS elements throughout your site.

I only wish I had a plug in that let me edit all the styles with a GUI, since I can' figure out how the google plug in does it.

There are plugins somewhat similar to this, like the Visual Composer. It gives any theme a drag and drop user interface for setting up posts/pages etc. There are other visual editors you can look up as well. These are more for layout; however, do have style options too.

what is child.css exactly?

This is where you can put custom styles that will show up on your site and not be erased by theme updates. Same should hold true for the style.css in the root of the child theme too :slight_smile: Most often you will see the style.css used.

it seems to me that if I'm replicating all these folder hierarchies in the child theme, that I will need to edit identically named files in the child directory--in which case what does child.css mean.

The main thing to know about child themes is that they will inherit everything from their parent theme UNLESS it is found in the child theme. This should help everything make a lot more sense. You don't need to duplicate all your files, infact you don't need to duplicate any and in most cases shouldn't.

This article may help too: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Hope this helps! This post ended up getting pretty long winded here :p hopefully this hasn't made things more confusing.

Let us know if you still need further assistance!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.