Unexpected response from WordPress" when activating Snapshot

When activating Snapshot Pro on the WPMU dashboard, I get this error at the top of the page: "Unexpected response from WordPress".
How do we diagnose this to determine what the query was, what the response was, and what can be done to address the issue?

I have full WP debugging/logging on but nothing is logged.
I thought this was permissions for this new installation, but after opening the site permissions up (internal server) the error persists.
Then I guessed it was a PHP error, and yes, PHP was reporting over 256M memory usage on this unused server (no clue about that yet) while the WP Query plugin reports only about 8M. I increased php.ini to 300M temporarily and that eliminated the PHP error, but not this activation error.

I can poke around in code but I think this is an opportunity to make the dashboard a little smarter about reporting issues, or at least to document for posterity here how we should approach this.

Thanks!

• Ash

Hello Tony G

Would you please post the full error? Is it something like this?

An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums.

If so, then this is because, for some reason your server could not connect to wordpress server, this could just be a connect glitch.

If you see a different error, would you please enable support access so that I can check? Please follow this article to enable support access: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

I will deactivate and activate snapshot to see the error on your site. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Tony G

Um...

I get this error at the top of the page: "Unexpected response from WordPress".

I am not getting this error.

An unexpected error occurred

Thank you for your desire to intervene and diagnose the issue, but ...

How do we diagnose this to determine what the query was, what the response was, and what can be done to address the issue? ... I think this is an opportunity to make the dashboard a little smarter about reporting issues, or at least to document for posterity here how we should approach this.

I will certainly open the site for Support enquiry but assuming someone does determine and resolve the error, that won't make the software any smarter about reporting problems or allowing us to diagnose them.

I might be wrong here but I believe this error occurred for WPMU plugins other than Snapshot. When that happened I was inclined to think the issue was related to common WPMU dashboard code rather than in the specific plugin. HTH

Perhaps someone can look for that specific error text to see where it is and what the code is doing when that text is displayed?

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.