Uninstalled and reinstalled Membership Plugin – Now the link is missing from admin navigation!

I was having issues with my subscription levels, so I uninstalled the Membership plugin and reinstalled, hoping that would help. But now I can't access the Membership plugin at all! There's no longer a link and dropdown menu on my admin navigation sidebar. I've unistalled and reinstalled a couple more times, using the manual FTP method as well as the Plugin Installer method.

The registration page I created works – it shows both step one and step two of the registration form – but I can't access anything. I'm at a loss!

• taraholling
    • New Recruit

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response!

I only have one site, and it doesn’t give me an option to activate it any other way than the typical “Activate”. I have two admin accounts, and I’ve logged in using both – it didn’t change anything.

Another glitch I had was that it locked me out of my admin account – changed it to Member rather than Administrator – and I had to go into my database and create a new admin account. Do you think that might have something to do with it not showing up? Is there something that indicates a super admin or something?

Thanks!

Tara

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Tara,

Okay, can you tell me if you’re using Multisite or not? If you’re not sure, look in wp-config.php for the following;

define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);

You may want to try removing Membership from your /wp-content/plugins directory also and then visit your plugins page. This will force de-activation allowing you to re-install and re-activate.

Phil

• taraholling
    • New Recruit

Hi Phil,

I checked my wpconfig file and that string wasn’t present. I also tried what you suggested and deleted the plugin from plugin folder, then downloaded the newest release of the plugin and installed it. Still nothing. Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Tara

• taraholling
    • New Recruit

Hi Barry,

I uninstalled two ways: I deactivated the plugin and deleted it, then reinstalled it through the admin panel. I also tried deleting the actual plugin folder from the server, and then reinstalled through the admin panel.

I’m not sure what you mean by removing the settings as well. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks!

Tara

• PaulCutcliffe
    • Flash Drive

I have exactly the same issue! Firstly I accidentally took my admin role away, so I downloaded a php file that creates a new admin user, but couldn’t get to it because of the membership, so had to change the table in the database to temporarily remove my plugins, then I created myself a new admin user & replaced the data in the table to all the plugins came back, which all but Membership did.

Since then, I’ve deactivated & deleted the plugin, & reinstalled it, but I still can’t get to the Membership Admin panel in the dashboard.

How can I get it to come back?

Thanks.

• PaulCutcliffe
    • Flash Drive

Aha, I’ve just installed the Membership plugin on another site, then clicked on the Membership admin panel, then copied the URL back to my broken site so I could try to get to the admin panel that way, and I get a message saying “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.”.

So it must be about permissions – how can I change them in the database or wherever it needs to be?

• PaulCutcliffe
    • Flash Drive

Okay, this is very frustrating!

I can now add a new user, but even if I make them an Administrator, they can’t see the Membership plugin panel in the dashboard. And my original Administrator user can see that, but can’t anything else worth looking at in the dashboard.

I’ve clicked on Repair / Verify, but that says all is well.

I just need to get back to having an Administartor user who can access & administer everything, including all the Membership stuff.

What can I do?

• PaulCutcliffe
    • Flash Drive

No, not using MU, I now have three admin accounts – the original one seems to be a Membership administrator, but can’t see much else in the dashboard, whereas the others are fine, except that they can’t see the membership panel.

I did work out why the original user couldn’t see the Membership panel, as once I’d recovered the account, the user name had changed, so I changed it back in the database which fixed the membership issue, but seems to have stopped them being a ‘normal’ Admin.

Strange, huh? Is it possible to just reset all the users? In both Membership and the rest of the dashboard?

• PaulCutcliffe
    • Flash Drive

Just what I wanted to hear, NOT! :wink:

We’re supposed to demoing the site on Monday(!), so I’ve already started again in another copy of the site, but I guess I was hoping you were going to point me toward a magic script that would fix everything!

My main problem was that the Administrator user wasn’t called Admin, but the name of the site, as were all my test users albeit with numbers on the end, therefore when I reset the roles of all the users, I accidentally included the Administrator user. This time it will be Admin, & I will have a couple of spare Administrator users, just in case!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yeah, sorry I couldn’t give you better news!

My honest opinion is that at this stage you either want to start again or have a kick ass developer who know WP like the back of his/her hands getting in and sorting out your database.

After you’re sorted, get a database backup system going. There are a few good plugins!

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.