Uninstalling several plugins from mu-plugin because they don't work right…disappointed

First- let me say that I appreciate all the help with several issues I have brought up that I have been able to fix.. some are my own user error or “newbieness” and others simple coding fixes I could make. But there seem to be several plugins that just don’t seem to work they way they should, or they are causing issues with the look and function for the user, so I’m wanting to uninstall them.

Is it enough to simply remove the files/folder that were uploaded into the mu-plugins area or is there also something I should be doing to the database itself.

I guess I was hoping that adding plugins from this site would be more seamless with working correctly, hence getting a membership here, but it just doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve searched on here and so many others seem to be having the same issues with the same plugins. Many don’t seem to have a fix or require editing of files that I just don’t feel comfortable in doing.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Is it enough to simply remove the files/folder that were uploaded into the mu-plugins area or is there also something I should be doing to the database itself.

Yes, you can remove tables in the db if you know what they are – but it doesn’t hurt to leave them.

I guess I was hoping that adding plugins from this site would be more seamless with working correctly, hence getting a membership here, but it just doesn’t seem to be the case.

Which ones are you still having issues with?

• momsnet
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Barry – I’ll leave them in the database then since I’m not sure which ones I should remove.

A few of the ones I”m having issues with are, the ones that I really want or need to work are:

Mass Mail – this is my latest issue, even after I used the updated script

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/really-need-help-wmass-mail-not-working-and-activity-time-not-right#post-68816

Easy Blogging / Easy Blogging Wizard. I installed Easy Blogging and it looked/worked fine, but I wanted Easy Blogging Wizard to go along with that. Once that was installed, and after a user clicked on the link in their dashboard to use it, there was almost a full page of white space below, and they’d have to scroll down to be able to see anything. Many thought the entire page had disappeared as they didn’t think to just scroll down. And the actually Wizard “steps” for the user only showed up once. Once they clicked away from it, there was no way to get back for those step by step instructions. So, I then decided to just delete the Easy Blogging Wizard, and it still had that very very large white space at the top where people would need to scroll down.

The other thing isn’t a plugin issue but apparently is a BuddyPress issue that I have tried to find an easy answer for – this is the latest thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/activity-time-display-is-off-by-5-hours While a few have suggested changing some coding – there seems to be a couple different “fixes” out there via here and BuddyPress boards that people suggest. One I thought seemed the easiest was this that someone led me to: http://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/12-6-upgrade-date-offset/ My response regarding this link is there seem to be 2 ways to possibly fix – one where it talks about bp_format_time I am not sure what php file that is even in.

I am probably sounding like a real complainer – but I’m getting frustrated with spending so many hours trying to fix and research as to why things won’t work.

Thanks

• joshmac
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@momsnet, from what I’ve found, mails not being sent WordPress having issue with another plugin (not the plugin in question). At one point I knew what the plugin was but have forgotten because it is one I needed. What may be a great solution for you is to use a plugin that connects to an SMTP server like Gmail and let it handle sending out emails for you. One such plugin is Cimy Swift SMTP which can be found in the WordPress repository. Check it out and let me know of your results.

• momsnet

Joshmac – thanks. Do you know if that is compatible with WPMU AND BuddyPress?

This is the frustrating part though.. is that I feel that we shouldn’t have to keep creating work arounds for plugins that I was under the understanding would be ready to go and work and work together. Especially for those of us who wanted access to workable plugins and such because we aren’t strong on coding and hacking.

Just very frustrated here….

• momsnet

I have installed the plugin and am about to test.. but the plugin, even though I did not choose “Network Activate” is showing in my users plug in area, which I do not want them to be able to have access to.

And the other issue… it is giving several errors on sending the test message. I have tried both gmail and using our own smtp from one of our other sites.

• momsnet

Another question before I download and install.. by doing this – does that mean that all the emails that WPMU/Buddypress are then going to be sent this way – via this plugin OR just when I am wanting to email all users?

• joshmac
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@momsnet, you can set it to always use the smtp email address like Facebook does or not. It will depend on if you have the option “Always overwrite the sender” checked or not. If you want the flexibility, then you will leave it unchecked. If you want to always override the sender, then you will check it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.