Units in non-published courses deleted on CoursePress Pro Update

Hi and happy new year!

This morning I wanted to update to the latest version of coursepress. The update finished successfully – yet after finishing, all units in courses that were not already published went were missing.

I rolled back the site via the Snapshots plugin so that I wouldn’t lose too much work. But this is a critical problem and should be fixed!

Jonathan

PS: Further information/details – I also updated a few other plugins including Marketpress, if that is related to the issue.

• Jonathan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, this just turned into a major problem!

Somehow, an automatic update happened and this problem caused us to lose an entire course which wasn’t published yet.

I have a backup that has the course in it through the snapshots plugin. The problem with that is that we’ve had new registrants and probably some other changes that to the site that are not in there. Is there a way to only roll back the coursepress plugin and the database of the plugin through the snapshots plugin?

Jonathan

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry to hear this caused these kind of issues for you, you can get the previous version of the plugin by clicking on changelog link on plugin page here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

Also, when restoring snapshot you have an option “Restore selected database tables” which will allow you to restore only selected DB tables.

Hope this helps in getting back your courses.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Jonathan

Hi @Pedrag,

This one sXcks!

A few questions:

1. Which database tables would I need to restore – and do they effect other plugins as well?

2. If I just roll back the plugin – would I break everything or would it be possible that courseunits just reappear?

3. If I wait for an updated version of the plugin – would that bring the coursunits back?

The reason I am asking #2 and #3 is that I found this thread – which seems to be the same or at least a related problem: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/coursepress-pro-does-not-save-units

In the answer @michael Bisset claims that the courseunits are saved but just not visible.

Jonathan

PS: Due to the severity of the problem and how long it has been known, I cannot really understand why you didn’t take this update down while you are fixing the issue?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jonathan,

You should start by restoring to previous version of CP, if the courses are still in the database then the downgrade will show them and there would be no need of doing full restore.

I suggest to perform downgrade via FTP and not WP admin.

PS: Due to the severity of the problem and how long it has been known, I cannot really understand why you didn’t take this update down while you are fixing the issue?

This still looks like it’s related to specific server setup and we are still investigating what’s triggering the issue.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Jonathan

@Pedrag Dubajic

So what I should do first is simply replace the coursepress folder via ftp? Anything I need to keep in mind? Anything that can break?

This still looks like it’s related to specific server setup and we are still investigating what’s triggering the issue

That still leaves the question wide open why the update wasn’t removed. Judging from the forums I’m not the only one having trouble.

Jonathan

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jonathan,

Overwriting the files via FTP shouldn’t cause any issues, however it’s always a good thing to have backup ready just to stay on safe side.

I have contacted CoursePress developers about the issues with the latest version so I’ll have some more info about this once they are online.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Jonathan

Short update on this: I was able to get the complete course back through downgrading via FTP, publishing all course units (not the actual course), and then upgrading the course again.

I do have to admit though – I’m a bit disappointed with the support on this problem: I basically had to propose (and therefore identify) the solution myself. The problem and the solution was already known – yet there is still no warning or message related to upgrading or installing the current version of the plugin.

Don’t take this the wrong way – I usually love WPMUDev – and I truly believe you can do better!

Jonathan

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jonathan,

Glad to hear you managed to find a workaround at the end and I apologize for any inconvenience this might caused.

We are aware that this has been prolonged more than we would like to since the developers have been busy with the major Upfront update we released yesterday.

They are now free to provide full attention to CoursePress and other plugins so we should see new updates and improvements really soon.

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.