Unless you prove me wrong, I'm mad with you

According to the marketpress instructions:

For a custom css style, save your css file with the "MarketPress Style: NAME" header in the "/marketpress/marketpress-includes/themes/" folder and it will appear in this list so you may select it. You can also select "None" and create custom theme templates and css to make your own completely unique store design. More information on that here »

I created and customized my own style file only to realize it was lost during the latest Marketpress update :slight_frown:

Shouldn't Marketpress store themes and customizations like every other plugin outside its own folder to avoid this situation???

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Ovidiu, Sorry to see what happened there. :slight_frown:

The way the updaters work, both WP and WPMU is that it removes all the old files

Unpacking the update…

Installing the latest version…

Deactivating the plugin…

Removing the old version of the plugin…

Plugin updated successfully.

Reactivating the plugin…

So it removes the old version.

I had this issue with a plugin I use before, I got around it by making a check for the contents of a different folder. I'll ask Aaron about doing something similar here. Perhaps the directory for css could sit in the /wp-content/ folder.

Thanks for letting us know and again, I real sorry about that.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi guys,

To avoid precisely this kind of frustration when updating plugins, I've developed a habit of never adding custom styling to plugins themselves. Rather, I add custom plugin style rules to my active child-theme's style.css file in individually labeled sections. Thus, any time I update plugins or the theme, none of my customizations are lost.

If, on a whim, I decide to change the theme, I simply copy/paste the entire custom plugin styling section to the new theme's style.css file, and make the desired adjustments to get things looking pretty again.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

I know all of this guys, I'm equally mad with myself :slight_frown:
    I saw the instructions to create your own "theme" and started right away without realizing I was actually working in the plugin's folder.

As I said, some plugins do use a variable I can set inside wp-config.php to determine the location of "extra" files....
    Will have to sort through my backups now to find it again :slight_frown:

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

@pcwriter -

A even better habit if you are using one of our themes is to add all custom css into the _inc/css/child-style.css (by default this file would be child-style-sample.css, so rename it to child-style.css)

In some of the theme updates its also necessary to update the child theme as well.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Thinking about this, perhaps it might be possible for it to be determined by the theme slightly. So the code would look to see what theme is active and then check for the appropriate CSS file within a custom folder.

Why this would be cool?

Because then you might have 50 different themes, and you might have 50 styles because each one looks a little poo in other themes. Doing this would mean only CSS relevant to that theme would show up whilst that theme is actives.

So you could provide custom styles to all themes which are only active when that theme is active.

/wp-content/mp-styles/twentyten/styles.css
    /wp-content/mp-styles/studio/styles.css

Just thinking out aloud here :slight_smile:

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@Timothy: yo uare right, I have seen taht before, i.e. i am using a plugin for customizing the emails wordpress sends out. By default it uses its own style but if you create a certain folder within your active theme it will use those templates :slight_smile:

Best idea so far I think!

+1

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Koff, you are absolutely correct on the language files.

Perhaps a similar approach could be adopted there as well.

We are going to be having a collaborators area later in the year where language packs can be shared openly. Perhaps..... Just thinking out aloud here but maybe the update plugin could also search the collaboration area for language packs contributed by users and allow the site owner to download them again direct.

That way, you translate, you submit, you update and you can grab yours or someone else language pack again whilst updating....

Any thoughts on that?

Take care.

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

@Ovidiu Nice. I honestly didn't even know what your were talking about when you asked "Is this a marketpress style or a wordpress theme?" lol - makes sense now

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-marketpress-theme-member-created-basic-market-075

Hmm.. so i went off and built a theme and could've been using this style system? I don't think Id be able to use the customised product slider. So, styling is a bit limited.

Cheers,

Johnny

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@Johnny: it is a bit limited but I am trying to combine styling with some custom templates to achieve the same thing.
    you could definitely do the same thing with the slider by inserting the slider into one of your custom templates, depending on where you want to show it...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.