Unselect checkboxes on Subscribers Management Page

On Subscribers Management Page, when a subscriber loads it, all the emails are ticked. Please let me know how to force the plugin to show the checkbox un-ticked?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Katie,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

With "Subscribe by Email" there are two ways for a user to become subscriber: either via "Subscribe by Email" widget on site or by being added by administrator on "Subscriptions -> Add Subscribers" page.

In both cases, if "Auto-opt -in" is not enabled, user gets an e-mail with a button to confirm subscription and only if it's clicked, the subscription is confirmed. User won't get any post notifications before that and that would equal those "check boxes" being unchecked.

That means that as long as user subscription is not confirmed manually by administrator on "Subscriptions -> Subscribers" page, that complies with all the law rules that require double-opt in.

The link to the "mange your subscriptions" page is being sent with a new posts' digest which means it goes to those users that actually did confirm their subscriptions so those that actually do have anything to be managed - that's why boxes are checked there.

As a consequence, if these boxes where unchecked for these users that would either not reflect the real situation (because user would be getting digest even despite them being unchecked) or would mean that user did not confirm subscription/is not a subscriber (in which case plugin is working like this).

The bottom line is: that page can only be available if a user has confirmed subscription or if that subscription for a user was manually confirmed by administrator (which means skipping "opt-in" required by GDPR).

That being said, I can imagine one more scenario here:
    - user submits e-mail
    - user gets confirmation message and confirms
    - user is still not really subscribed but instead gets an additional message that point to "manage your subscriptions" page where those boxes are actually unchecked so user can then choose to "what" he/she wants to subscribe to; so, that would be sort-of "double-confirmation" scenario

Is that actually what you wish to achieve? If I missed something here, please explain that a bit more and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Katie

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. The website in question is actually for a law firm, and have raised this in regards to GDPR compliancy.

The scenario you've described at the end of your message is what we're needing. The boxes on the "manage your subscriptions" page need to be unchecked by default so the user can then choose what to subscribe to.

The same for the admin adding people via WordPress; they can be confirmed automatically but then they need to be able to choose what they are subscribing to.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,
    Katie

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Katie!

Thank you for your response and this additional explanation. That's clear now but I'm afraid it's not possible out of the box with the plugin as it was created with a bit different "workflow". Achieving such scenario would require some customization to the plugin.

I have passed that additional explanation to our developers again so they'll look into it to see if there's a solution that we could provide.

Please keep an eye on this thread for further information (please note that developers' response times might be slightly longer as they are dealing with lot of various complex stuff at daily basis) and we'll update it as soon as we hear back from them.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Ari

Hey Katie

hope you are fine!

This is definitely possible but it would require a lot of custom coding and this is I’m afraid out of scope of support that we can provide, you can see more here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/support-vs-custom-development/

If you need to customize this then you can post a job in our job board where you can hire a developer to assist further: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Kind Regards,
    Ari

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.