Unsuffient Permissions Error

Hello,

I am designing and testing an mu site and currently I am testing the settings and capabilities for the sites users. I am noticing that if you are not under Super Admin privileges you get this error message when setting the theme settings:

Error Message

"You do not have sufficient permissions to modify unregistered settings for this site."

Has anyone experienced this as well. Any work arounds?

Thanks

• DavidM

Hi anyahmonroe,

I can't say I've experienced that one before myself but I can definitely see it occurring if somehow user role capabilities had been changed or if the capabilities required to access theme options had changed.

Perhaps you could use the following two plugins to see what those capabilities are. Admin Menu Editor lets you change more than just the layout of the menus but also capabilities required to access them.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

And User Role Editor can be used to change user roles and capabilities.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

Hope that helps!

-David

• anyahmonroe

Hi Ovidiu,

its about a theme from another supplier, right?

Well the theme error is from the member dashboard not the admin so I believe members are supposed to be able to use any wordpress theme, correct?

is the theme wp multisite and BP compatible?

mentioned in last comment.

- what does your error log say? I bet it will tel you more on how to solve this :slight_smile:

"You do not have sufficient permissions to modify unregistered settings for this site."

• Ovidiu

let me put some things straight:

- I am a member like you, trying to help, not an official on this forum
    - I couldn't watch the whole clip as I am on a very slow and low bandwidth plan
    - I can't see you mentioning wp multisite/BP compatibility in this thread, care to quote it or show me where?
    - You say: members are supposed to be able to use any wordpress theme, correct? => that is right if the theme is wp multisite and BP compatible in case you are using multisite and BP
    - What do you mean by member? Are you referring to an admin? Someone who signed up for a blog on your network?
    - An error log entry looks like this: [Mon Jun 06 14:29:23 2011] [warn] [client 145.253.32.107] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /var/www/clients/clientxx/webxx/web/wp-content/plugins/gd-star-rating/css/gdsr.css.php on line 259, referer: http://pacura.ru/ and as you can see that is useful info: showing you in which file the error occurred and the referring site.

as I said: we need more info to help you out :slight_smile:

bwt. you, running the multisite network, with our without BuddyPress, are the site-admin. Everyone who signs up for a blog, is automatically made an admin for his blog.

• anyahmonroe

- I am a member like you, trying to help, not an official on this forum
    <Ok thanks very appreciated
    - I couldn't watch the whole clip as I am on a very slow and low bandwidth plan
    <No problem I understand
    - I can't see you mentioning wp multisite/BP compatibility in this thread, care to quote it or show me where?
    <Didn't mention it, however shown in video. Yes I am running a Multisite with BP and I am referring to a member who signed up and chose to blog as well. In the video I show that they are shown as the administrators of their own site however when they are in their personal site dashboard it shows this error when making theme changes/setting up the theme from its options panel from their personal site dashoboard

Error Message

- What do you mean by member? Are you referring to an admin? Someone who signed up for a blog on your network? <I mean someone that has signed up for a blog on the network

bwt. you, running the multisite network, with our without BuddyPress, are the site-admin. Everyone who signs up for a blog, is automatically made an admin for his blog. <--- Thanks that's what I thought however it's responding like they are not. Wish you could see the video which I mention that part

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh also I am not familar with an error log. I will look that up.

• Ovidiu

ok, thx for clarifying :slight_smile: - now lets get your problem solved:

regarding your error:

if it comes indeed from your theme, your theme basically checks a certain condition and if that condition is false it gives you this error.

Now you could just search through the whole theme giving this error to find where it occurs and quote the few lines of code around it and I'm sure we can tell you whats wrong afterwards.

It would be however easier for you if you checked for log files (the location depending on your Os - under Debian based systems its usually here: /var/log/apache2/error.log and depending whether you are using a control panel they might be configured to be stored somewhere else...) as you will find the exact file that triggered the error and the corresponding line inside that file, making it easier to find the code that is causing the problems...

• coburnenterprises

Hi I am having this problem "insufficient permissions" on the theme I got in the them pack called Pixel. This theme has a "theme options" menu item where the user updates a small area of text. However only a super admin can actually make the updates because it is a call to update options.php which is set to only allow updates by super admin if this is a multi-site install (which it is). If I change that code in the options.php to admin the them can be updated by the admin of the site but I'm afraid that this is a security hole on a multi-site install. Any thoughts?

Here is the code from the theme's functions page that allows the site admin to edit the theme options on this page:
    function editoptions() {
    ?>
    <div class='wrap'>
    <h2>Theme Options</h2>
    <form method="post" action="options.php">
    <?php wp_nonce_field('update-options') ?>
    <p>Greeting Heading:</p>
    <p><input type="text" name="greeting" value="<?php echo get_option('greeting'); ?>" /></p>

Here is the line on the options.php that seems to prevent the admin from performing the theme options update:

if ( 'options' == $option_page ) {
    if ( is_multisite() && ! is_super_admin() )
    wp_die( __( 'You do not have sufficient permissions to modify unregistered settings for this site.' ) );
    $options = explode( ',', stripslashes( $_POST[ 'page_options' ] ) );
    } else {
    $options = $whitelist_options[ $option_page ];
    }

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.