untangling login/registration issues for my membership site

Hello,
Brand new to WPMU Dev and turning to you because I can't get a holistic view of my multi-site WP membership site's current issues from any of my current support paths (MemberPress support team and my own web host tech help). My setup is:

-WP multi-site (one main website and one sub-site) as paid, private, membership blog. It was just the one blog, protected by s2member for almost five years. Since adding the sub-site, registrations weren't automated as they should be.

-Decided to switch to MemberPress for many reasons and went through the complicated steps of transitioning just after Christmas. Since then, have been troubleshooting login/registration problems.

-MP (MemberPress) doesn't support multi-site (no membership plugin can, from my extensive research), but it should work on the main site, which it isn't...correctly. I am concerned that there is some combination of BuddyPress (long used on my main site, mostly for profiles and activity stream) or other plugins causing difficulty, but can't get a clear response from MP support.

-Test registrations went fine for me and for MP support. 2 out of 3 current members attempting to update their memberships run into error messages, tho' 1 had success and no issues at all (tho' her new membership didn't attach to her old as it was supposed to. I've stopped asking members to try for the moment.

Hoping for help outside of MP...that someone might be able to see the whole picture of my setup and help me figure out what needs to be adjusted.

• Nastia

Hello wisteria , I hope you are doing well!

Welcome to WPMU DEV Community!

Unfortunately, the MemberPress plugin it's a 3rd party plugin that I am not familiar with. Though if you are having issues with this plugin, I would suggest trying the Membership 2 Pro plugin which can be used on Multisite WordPress setup; you can create global memberships for your entire network of sites, or activate the plugin per subsite.

To activate the plugin network wide, add the line below to the wp-config.php file:
    define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );

The plugin also comes with the following payment getaways Authorize.net, Manual payments, PayPal Single, PayPal Standard, Stripe Single, Stripe Subscriptions

The Membership 2 Pro is integrated with BuddyPress plugin. You can use the BuddyPress registration method, instead if the default Membership's plugin registration.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• lesley

Hello Nastia,
    Thank you for the idea. The thought of switching after all of the time I've spent learning MP is daunting, but I believe I will soon know from them whether they are actually able to figure things out, so. I have two questions...

-Does most help here come as yours did...the adding of code? I am not a developer and usually have my web host do such things, but was hoping to get that sort of help here. So please let me know how that works.

-Would I have to remain a member of WPMU Dev to use Membership 2 Pro?

And having just looked at the MPro page in depth, I am concerned about switching. They give instruction about switching from some other membeship plugins, but not either of the two I've used. Even MP would be working fine, I think, if I wasn't trying to transition and keep my member profiles and all associated. And I am getting the impression that WPMU things are geared toward those with a more technical mind than mine?

• lesley

Those two questions have since been answered through the WPMU Dev contact form. My questions now have to do with considering the switch to M2Pro.

-I've just spent three weeks with MemberPress support, setting up MP on my site and then trying (unsuccessfully so far) to work out the issues that have cropped up. This has caused many problems for my patient members and taken up way too much of my time. I've had to put off opening the doors to the subsite of my main site and haven't been able to allow new members. So I am wondering how quickly we could setup M2Pro on my site. I am ready to devote the rest of the week to it, but don't know if the help here can support that timetable? I would be thrilled if so!

-I've looked carefully over the M2Pro page, but don't have enough of a picture how so much would work and look. Is this the place for those questions?

Thanks so much!

• Nastia

Hello wisteria , I hope all is well!

My apologies for the delay here!

-Does most help here come as yours did...the adding of code? I am not a developer and usually have my web host do such things, but was hoping to get that sort of help here. So please let me know how that works.

Sometimes there are features that plugins do not include out of the box and adding some extra code is the only solutions. If you need assistance we will be glad to add the code for you on your site.

In this specific case, we can add the line for you, for this, we will need your credentials to access your site. You can send credentials by using our secure contact form
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: “Attn: Nastia”
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login URL
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

-Would I have to remain a member of WPMU Dev to use Membership 2 Pro?

You can use the membership 2 Pro version after your subscription will end. The only restraint is that you will not be able to update the plugin when the new version will be out, so you will need to re-subscribe again to update the Membership 2 plugin. Also after your subscriptions ends, I am afraid you can't ask us for support if there will be any issue.

And having just looked at the MPro page in depth, I am concerned about switching

Once you create the memberships and add protection rules you can add already paid members manually to these memberships. If the memberships are recurring, once their subscription will end, they will need to approve the payment again (this will happen only once).

So I am wondering how quickly we could setup M2Pro on my site. I am ready to devote the rest of the week to it, but don't know if the help here can support that timetable? I would be thrilled if so!

If we will understand what you are looking to achieve and all the features you will need are already included within the membership 2 Pro plugin (meaning that you will not need any custom features) we can speed up the process.

We will guide through the process of creating memberships, setting up protection rules and payment gateways and answer to your questions. Also if there will be a problem, through the Support Staff access we can log in to your site to check the issue up close.

The quickest way to get support is to post questions in our forums in separate threads, one question per thread, this way you will have a faster response from our staff members.

-I've looked carefully over the M2Pro page, but don't have enough of a picture how so much would work and look. Is this the place for those questions?

Unfortunately, we do not have a demo site. The easiest way to see how it works is to install the plugin on one of your sites, you can create a test site and install a plugin there to see how it works.

The process for a user is simple. On the membership page, he chooses a membership to sign up, the plugin redirect to the registration page and after that to a payment page.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Kind regards
    Nastia

• lesley

Thank you for your responses, Nastia. I would like to go ahead with transitioning to M2Pro, but need some guidance on what to expect for my site and members while we set it up.

-The new memberships I want to set up are different in price and amount of time than the old ones.

-And everything is a bit of mess at the moment, while I ask MP how to remove what I've done with them.

I could give many more details, but will wait to hear from you about how we proceed. I am not quite sure of the process.

Thanks so much!

• Nastia

Hello wisteria

-The new memberships I want to set up are different in price and amount of time than the old ones.

There are several ways to do this, but I suggest to follow the bellow method since you have already paid members. Create two membership, one for your current users where no one else can register, and another paid membership with a new price for new users.

Once the Membership 2 is installed (let me know if you need assistance with installation) create your first membership from Memberships 2 > Membership for the members that you already have

Select "Standard Membership" type, give it a name, unselect "Allow users to register for this membership." and "This is a paid membership", proceed with "Save and Continue" button.

Please see the screenshot:

To add members to the membership, go to Membership 2 > Add Members, under "Select an existing WordPress user" type the first three letters from a username and select a user you wish to add.

Add a membership you've created to all your current users.

Next step

From the Membership 2 > Memberships, create a new paid membership for new users following the same steps.

Set up a price and a payment getaway. If the membership will be recurring, use one of the options
    - PayPal Standard Gateway
    - Stripe Subscriptions Gateway

Go to Membership 2 > Memberships and edit the first membership by clicking on the "Edit" button. Open Access Options tab.
    - Select Finite Access,
    - Grant access for an amount of time you will need
    - Under "After this membership ends" select "Change to: Membership Name"

This way once a first Membership will end, all members will be automatically moved to a new membership, where they will need to accept a new charge.

Any other question you have, please let me know!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• lesley

This is pretty clear, Nastia, thank you. I know it will become more clear once I actually start using M2Pro. I'll be away from home most of the day, but would like to begin the transition tomorrow and am wondering how it will affect the using of my site by my members?

I'll be happy to send my credentials as I would appreciate as much as help as possible with this process. I know how to set up the payment gateway and many other aspects, and my whole site is protected so that is straightforward. Some things I am unsure about are how the multi-site is handled by M2Pro? Two of the four new membership options I will create will give access to my new sub-site. I didn't see anything about that in the Usage information. And the look of the signup buttons or links is important.

Do we just continue working out all these parts in this conversation?

Thanks very much!

• Nastia

Hello lesley ,

Two of the four new membership options I will create will give access to my new sub-site. I didn't see anything about that in the Usage information.

The best solution here is to create a staging site, this way your live site will not be affected. Once the migration process is finished you can migrate the staging site to a live site.

Once you create a staging site, you san send to us credentials and we will add the define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true ); inside the wp-config.php to network activate the plugin.

You can manage the memberships and the protection rules from your main site. Once the Memberships are created these will apply on all entire network, you will need to set up protection rules on a main site and on subsites as well.

And the look of the signup buttons or links is important.

The sign-up table looks like this with the default WordPress theme Twenty Seventeen

And this is how the memberships list is looking with another free WordPress theme:

The styling mostly depends on from the theme you are using, you can also use customized tables and add a signup button shortcode. Some themes comes with a pricing tables templates.

Is it normal to go 24 hours without a response?

We answer our threads from latest to the newest threads, so the time response is depends on how many other threads we have. You will have much faster reply if you post a new thread for each of your questions :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• lesley

Thank you, Nastia. I know I will be revisiting this guidance when I get to the actually setting up of M2Pro. I have another support ticket open about how to go about setting up a staging site, but alternatively, would installing and setting up M2Pro work as it did recently with MemberPress and s2member (the plugin I tried and the plugin I've used for five years)? In the sense that I could set everything up on the new plugin while it was not activated, then deactivate s2member/activate MP...see how things looked and if they worked...and basically switch back and forth? Then the site was only unavailable to my members while I was looking around and testing registrations (and they were alerted to expect some down time).

• Nastia

Hello lesley

I never tested both plugins together, the Membership 2 and the MemberPress plugin. I am afraid eh Membership plugin once it is installed may interfere with the current membership plugin ou have and may change the registration process.

So it will be best to install it on a separate installation.

As for the staging site, you can create it with Snapshot Pro plugin.

Here you will fond instructions how to backup your site correctly:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/backup-with-snapshot/

And here how to migrate to a new WordPress installation:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-migration-snapshot/

Hope this will help!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.