Upcoming Events Widget

Hello,

Is there a way to make the upcoming events widget show more than a month out? My next event is in december but the widget isn't showing it since I'm assuming it only shows events in the current month.

Thanks,

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mehmet_gunay,

Thank you for this great question.

Have you activated the Default to all Events while being logged into the admin dashboard going to Events --> Settings --> and scrolling towards the bottom of the page? To the extra settings section and activating it?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• mehmet_gunay
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I have enabled this but this doesn't change the options for the widget.

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is to have one page that has plugin:calendar and one page that has the default events list view. Since I changed the main page to display the calendar, I don't have a good way to display the events in a single page so to workaround this i'm adding the upcoming events widget to a page.

Would you have a better solution to this? I wish there was short code for the calendar so I could separately add that to a page..

Thanks,

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mehmet_gunay,

Thank you for that last post in which tells the tale of what you need done there.

Though I do not know how it can be done or even if it can be done, I do no somebody who can answer this question.

I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The Upcoming Events widget will, by default, look ahead 5 weeks for your upcoming events and show them. If you feel that that's too short time period, you can override this via the "EAB_COLLECTION_UPCOMING_WEEKS_COUNT" define which will, if present, dictate how many weeks to look ahead. To increase the lookahead time to, say, 7 weeks, you can, for an example, add something like this to your wp-config.php:

define('EAB_COLLECTION_UPCOMING_WEEKS_COUNT', 7);

• mehmet_gunay
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Vladislav, that worked perfectly.

One last question for you:

For the Archive Template in the settings I have to choose between Plugin: Calendar or Plugin: Default.

I would like to use both on separate pages. So I would like one calendar page and one text archive page.

I have tried using the calendar shortcode in lieu of the plugin: calendar page but it is nothing like the Plugin: Calendar page so it isn't sufficient for my purposes. Any work around for this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mehmet_gunay,

Thank you for the additional question.

Unfortunately you cannot change the output of this particular short code that I am aware of - therefore I must answer no unless the lead developer knows something about this particular shortcode and he is invited to input if I am incorrect and he is already a part of this ticket.

Cheers, Joe

• mehmet_gunay
    • Flash Drive

Hello @Vladislav

My earlier question was "Can I edit the output of the shortcode (or whatever it is calling?) I'm thinking of adding the featured image, and a brief description to the archive page. similar to the upcoming events widget."

I also have found an additional bug that relates to the first question in this thread. I added the " define('EAB_COLLECTION_UPCOMING_WEEKS_COUNT', 7); " code to my wp-config.php and that fixed the look ahead for the upcoming events widget, but when using the " [eab_archive] " shortcode, the look ahead doesn't work and isn't showing my events that are further in the future.

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mehmet_gunay,

****Please note:****
    One reason in this particular ticket here that we are having delays in a response is because of the way the ticket system works. The ticket system see's every reply as well a reply ... and then changes it's priority in the support que to include ticket aging.

Therefore it may not show up on our screens as early as it would under normal conditions. It is usually in your best interest to not bump tickets or reply to them unless there is something significant to add.
    ****Please note****

Hopefully the lead developer will have the chance to make it in here sooner then later.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mehmet_gunay,

Thank you for letting us know but a week at this point in our work load is a short time indeed - here is people that have waited over a month:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/view/not-resolved-old/page/34

We are dealing with it the best that we can and the support team has been expanded upon with two more support staff but that will take a bit for them to get into the swing of things. This amount to a 33% increase in support staff, but they will need time to get acclimated.

The lead developer will make it in here when he has the chance and he has been in here a few times already.

Your patience would be appreciated.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The latest plugin release (v1.5, just released) comes with much better shortcode handling support, including being able to edit their output. There is also a complete, albeit brief (for now) shortcode arguments reference on the shortcode help page. To edit the output of your shortcode, you can create a template file for it in your theme root directory (you can use one of the shortcode templates as a starting point for this - they are located under the default-templates/ folder in your plugin directory, and prefixed with "shortcode-") and make use of the "template" shortcode argument.

• fordrm
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Vladislav / Joe,

Is there any documentation on how to take advantage of the new features in v1.5?

I'm looking to have customized pages for different event categories (e.g. different copy and different embedded videos), but I am struggling in how to go about this. A worked example would be perfect.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings fordrm,

Thank you for the great question but no there is not any documentation on the new features of the Events+ plugin except that contained within the plugin if applicable "i"

It takes time for those assigned this task on the support team to get to documentation that is external to the plugin and they have to figure it out but in many cases this is not necessary unless indeed a new feature versus a fix is in a new release.

The plugins change log keeps track of new fixes and features and that would be the first item to check.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Collin
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Vladislav, I tried using your line:

define('EAB_COLLECTION_UPCOMING_WEEKS_COUNT', 7);

in the wp-config.php file to change the number of weeks of retrieved events for the cal widget. Unfortunately it isn't working for me. I want to grab something like 6 month of events (25 weeks). Is that to large a number? Here is exactly what I put in my wp-config file just before the line /* that's all, stop editing! Happy bloging */

// Upcoming Events Widget - increas look ahead
    define('EAB_COLLECTION_UPCOMING_WEEKS_COUNT', 25);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Any help you can give me would be so appreciated. It driving me nuts.
    Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.