update error [fs_unavailable]

Hi guys,

I get always the same disfunction over month!
"
Updating plugin:
The plugin is at the latest version.
Error: [fs_unavailable] Could not access filesystem.
"
Automatic update for pkugin or themes doesen't work, the same to multisite, but the error is official known and fixed by WordPress dev members in version 4.7.

I noted in this thread on WordPress Core, to understand what is general the Problem.
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38024#comment:11

This problem prevented always updates for plugin after the first item, that means: the first one went through, second once etc. not.

The error I discribed above, is simillar. No update possible for WPMU extensions, but the update mechanism worked basically not. Only manually and that is not ok!

I use "Easy Update Manager" for WordPress instances and the plug works, but WPMU extensions not.

Have you any idea to fix them?

Thank you

Tom Fischer

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Tom,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Is this issue happening only to our products or all the plugins you have installed regardless of the source?

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please respond in this thread once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Tom Fischer

Hi Predrag,

this issue happens after WordPress 4.7 update only to all WPMU plugins and themes.
    Bevore, WordPress 4.6 had this issue for all.

Today I got this errors again:
    "
    WordPress site: https://aaki.de/
    The following plugins were successfully updated:
    * SUCCESS:
    * SUCCESS:

UPDATE LOG
    ==========

Updating plugin:

Updating plugin:
    "
    The message comes from the plugin called "Easy Updates Manager" that I use to handle wich one goes up to date.

Again: in Wordpress 4.6 we had an known bug that was official fixed in 4.7 by WP Core Team.
    (Read the tread in my first mail).

I startet the support ticket over my dashboad instances: https://aaki.de

Have a great day and thanks

Tom Fischer

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tom!

I took a liberty of accessing your site and taking a look around. I can confirm that it's possible to update our plugins directly via the "WPMU DEV -> Plugins" page. I did not tried a bulk-update on your site though since it's a live site and in case anything went wrong "cutting off" my access, I wouldn't be able to revert it back (support access works only if the site works fine) - so I decided not to take a risk.

I did check the WP ticket that you linked to and also run multiple tests on my test sites but couldn't still replicate the issue.

There's however a few security plugins enabled on the site and you also mentioned that iThemes security is very strictly configured. Since the error has been fixed in WP and both mine and Predrag's tests confirm that it should be working fine, I tend to think that it's specific to your setup.

The essential step would be to run a plugin conflict test though I assume you may not want to conduct that on a live site. It would be best then if you could setup a staging site that'd be one to one, exact copy of your live site. You could then provide us with a full access to that site and we could safely test and examine it in order to discover the source of that issue.

Would that be possible?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Tom Fischer

Hi Adam and thank you for quick response.

First: you can do everything because aaki.de is just for developer testing, so it's not a real live site, it's online yes but unknown for public.
    Second: I testet a blank WordPress instances without any extentions and only with WP standard theme, iTheme Security was complete inactivated and htaccess was also normal as standard.
    No restriction enabled. The result was the WPMU items could not updated by automatic process triggered by real cron job, but all other plugins or themes would updated fine.
    Only if I update the process by manual click via WP dashboard the WPMU extensions are updated, only by manually.
    Please try it again.

Thanks
    Tom

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tom!

Thanks for your replay. I thought that is a live site so thanks for clearing this up.

Before I proceed with testing on your site though let me ask one more question. It seems that I might have missed that before but you mentioned that updates are triggered by "real cron". Would you mind sharing more info about that?

I mean: a common practice is to switch off WP Cron entirely and use server cron instead. Is that the case (and if so, what is the exact command that you call with server cron)? Or if you are triggering only updates this way, how is that set up?

I'm asking because I'd like to first test similar setup on my own sandbox in order to get some "reference point" for testing your site again.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Tom Fischer

Complement:

This is how the update report which my "aaki.de" Wordpress emailed, in it one sees that all updates "SUCCESS" labeled but below stands in the report, which it failed all of WPMU.

#Begin Mail
    [aaki] Background updates have finished
    WordPress site: https://aaki.de/
    The following plugins were successfully updated:
    * SUCCESS: Accelerated Mobile Pages
    * SUCCESS: AMP Supremacy
    * SUCCESS: Email List Builder by Social Intents
    * SUCCESS: Feed Them Social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc)
    * SUCCESS: Imagify
    * SUCCESS: Paid Memberships Pro
    * SUCCESS: SP Project & Document Manager
    * SUCCESS: Two Factor
    * SUCCESS: WP Migrate DB
    * SUCCESS:
    * SUCCESS:
    * SUCCESS:
    * SUCCESS:
    * SUCCESS:

UPDATE LOG
    ==========

Accelerated Mobile Pages
    ------------------------
    Updating plugin: Accelerated Mobile Pages
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/accelerated-mobile-pages.0.9.1.1.zip...
    Unpacking the update...
    Installing the latest version...
    Removing the old version of the plugin...
    Plugin updated successfully.

AMP Supremacy
    -------------
    Updating plugin: AMP Supremacy
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/amp-supremacy.1.0.93.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

Email List Builder by Social Intents
    ------------------------------------
    Updating plugin: Email List Builder by Social Intents
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/email-list-builder-by-social-intents.1.2.20.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

Feed Them Social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc)
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Updating plugin: Feed Them Social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc)
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/feed-them-social.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

Imagify
    -------
    Updating plugin: Imagify
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/imagify.1.6.3.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

Paid Memberships Pro
    --------------------
    Updating plugin: Paid Memberships Pro
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/paid-memberships-pro.1.8.13.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

SP Project & Document Manager
    ---------------------------------
    Updating plugin: SP Project & Document Manager
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/sp-client-document-manager.2.6.4.8.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

Two Factor
    ----------
    Updating plugin: Two Factor
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/two-factor.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

WP Migrate DB
    -------------
    Updating plugin: WP Migrate DB
    Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wp-migrate-db.0.9.2.zip...
    Unpacking the update...

Updating plugin:

Updating plugin:

Updating plugin:

Updating plugin:

Updating plugin:

#END of mail

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your response!

I run some more checks on my end and did some research and I must say I'm a bit stuck. I can't replicate it no matter what I do and most of the information point to the same or similar tickets that you also linked to. That said, I'm calling our 2nd line support for help on this.

I have already filled a report for them. Please note though that their response time may be a bit longer than ours here on forum. Keep an eye on this thread please and either me or my colleagues we will update it as soon as we got more information and/or questions for you. It would also be great if you made sure that the support access is kept open (it's time valid so it may automatically switch off).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Tom Fischer

Hello Adam,

one more thing I forgot.
    If you have only 1 item in every area such as plugin as an theme and 1 language file to update at the same time, than the process works fine without errors. The issue comes if you have more than one pieces for example: 4 plugins 3 themes and 4 lang files. In this case the WPMU stuff would not updated by automatic hook process.

And at least: please ask Ronalfy the developer of "Easy Update Manager" maybe his plugin or the WMPU bridge produce the issue?

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38024#comment:21

Kind Regards,
    Tom

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Tom.

I hope you are doing great today. I am sorry for the late reply with regards to this issue. As I was going through old threads, I noticed this one is still open and I was wondering if you still need help with this or not.

The WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin has been updated since the last post on this thread. It has some improvements and fixes for known issues. Are you still having the same issue with the bulk upgrades even after the latest release update or the issue was resolved by updating to the latest version?

If you are still having the same issue with the new version, let us know and we will do some troubleshooting and try to find a solution or fix the code if it is a bug.

I hope you enjoy your day further.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

• Tom Fischer

Hello Mahlamusa,

thanks for response, I'm not forgotten :wink:

I use WPMUDEV Dashboard 4.3 and it's the same again. No automatic bulk updates.
    But you must know, I using for execute this auto bulk updates a plugin called "Easy Updates Manager", this plug does the job for me, executed by cron and all items from Wordpress.org repository would updated daily 2 times. All the extensions they comes from WPMU and stacking not in Wordpress repository didn't.
    Manually yes, but that's not my way for Multisites.

The other way is the implementing an php order in themes function.php for auto updates, but this is not necessary.

They does only updating items from Wp repository, but it's not true.
    I have installed some stuff from Envato and extended WP with an Envato update API Plugin, so this Items goes up to date with Easy Updates Manager. Why is it not possible for WPMU items?

The other question is: what can I do for reaching updates automatically?
    Maybe in other way but it must working.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Tom,

Thank you for getting back to us, I hope you are enjoying your day. I will be working with you in resolving this but first I would like to understand your current setup, I will try to replicate your settings on my local install, run the updates and see how it works. I need to do the exact same thing you are doing in order to be able to understand your issue.

First of all, I need access to your WordPress admin. You can grant Support Access to your admin without sharing your login details. You can do so by going to "WPMU DEV > Support" then click on big button labeled "GRANT SUPPORT ACCESS". That will allow me to access your admin for a while so I can get a closer look at your settings and understand your setup. See screenshot.

... executed by cron and all items from Wordpress.org repository would updated daily 2 times.

About the cron, would you please share with me how you setup your cron and what code or script does it execute. It would be great if I know what the cron is executing, is it a script in the "Easy Updates Manager" plugin or a custom script?

The other way is the implementing an php order in themes function.php for auto updates, but this is not necessary.

Would you please elaborate on this part, what you did that didn't work.

The other question is: what can I do for reaching updates automatically?

I will be in a position to answer this once I understand your current setup and things you tried.

Would you please clarify on the above points and grant support access, in the meantime I will be checking the thread you linked to and the dashboard code to see if we missed anything there.

I hope we resolve this soon. Please enjoy your day further.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.