"Update Everything" gives 403 permissions error on 3 sites

So, I ran update everything for the first time on the Hub.

Normally I update plugins and themes locally without issue but as this was offered I thought it might be interesting to try it.

Regretting this now.

I notice that restoring from backup from the cloud requires uploading files to the webroot of the sites.

Is there anything more obvious I can do as this is not straightforward?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Paul,

I'm really sorry to hear that this happen to you. I use updates from HUB on my every remote site and this never happen to me. Were there any errors during update?

"Download the files below, and upload them to the webroot of your server as instructed:"

For situations where you can't access your site.

As there are no instructions offered anywhere, I am stuck.

There are two files you have to download and then upload to root directory of your website (using FTP or file manager in cPanel). Root is where file like wp-config.php or folder wp-content is.
    One file is backupfile and second one is installer (snapshot-installer.php - unzip before uploading).

When you uploaded both file go to url yoursite.com/snapshot-installer.php and it will open Wizard for site restoration. Follow instructions you will see on the screen and your site will be restored.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Paul

Hi Kasia

Unfortunately after over an hour of uploading the files, following your instructions I'm still getting 403 but this time when I navigate to the snapshot installer php URL

Here's the full message

You don't have permission to access /snapshot-installer.php on this server.
    Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I don't know but I am running Wordfence as well as defender. Wordfence has thrown htaccess problems before. This is just a guess.

At the moment I just don't know what to do. I thought I'd be covered by the cloud backup.

• Nithin

Hi Paul,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

It seems like either the rules from .htaccess is denying the script to execute(it could be WordFence rules), or you don't have the correct permission for your file, could you please check whether the files permission are 644.

If the permissions, are correct, could you please share us the content of your .htaccess so that we could have a better idea.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.