Update Failed: Download failed. cURL error 77

Hello!
when i tried to update the plugin WP Smush Pro I get this error,

Update Failed: Download failed. cURL error 77: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)

also getting error with other plugins. and nothing happen when I click in grant support access button.

Can you help?

thank you!

Andrés

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Aroque,

could you please inform me about couple more things?
    1. Are you able to update other plugins (non WPMUDEV ones)?
    2. Is there an active SSL certificate in this domain?
    3. Did you try to logout and login again to WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin?
    4. Are there other sites in this specific server? How about updating in there? Is it working?

Finally, could you also please contact your hosting provider on this, so they could double check that they are not blocking any calls between your domain and wpmudev.org?

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

PS. You can also try to reset your API key from here https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/account/ but that will require to manually re-login to all of yours WPMUDEV Dashboard instances.

• Aroque
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello, Thank you!

I get this error and I have contacted the hosting service, I'm waiting if they can fix it.

Your server had a problem connecting to WPMU DEV: "cURL error 77: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)". Please try again.

If this problem continues, please contact your host with this error message and ask:

"Is php on my server properly configured to be able to contact https://premium.wpmudev.org/api/dashboard/v1/ with a POST HTTP request via fsockopen or CURL?"

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Aroque,

hope you're doing good today!

I look forward for the feedback from your hosting provider.
    Whenever you share this with us, please also inform me about the remaining points of my previous reply. :slight_smile:

1. Are you able to update other plugins (non WPMUDEV ones)?
    2. Is there an active SSL certificate in this domain?
    3. Did you try to logout and login again to WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin?
    4. Are there other sites in this specific server? How about updating in there? Is it working?

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Aroque!

This error is a server side error. It means that the chain certificate files are missing or "broken". Usually this is causes simply by outdated SSL certificate(s) for cURL installed on server but may as well be caused by wrong or "incomplete" configuration.

SSL cert for cURL is different than the cert that you may be using for the site so this is something that your host should be able to fix. Since you already contacted them, let's wait and see what they say. In my opinion they should check whether cURL is properly configured for SSL and if certificates are up to date.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Aroque

Hello,

They say that this would require a developer to review and see where/what may be the issue.
    They recommend to me to test each plugin one by one, i have done already an found that when I install snapshot then error appears.
    Regards,

Andrés

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Andrés,

I just tested Snapshot on multiple installations and it didn't cause any issues with updates of Smush or any other plugins.

It could be related to specific destination configured but since you don't have the plugin installed anymore I couldn't check what settings you had.
    Can you tell me if and which destination you had configured for snapshots?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Aroque

I have never configured it, I do not have any destination configure, only want to start using the plugins, I uninstalled it because is causing the issues for some reason but you are free to install and configure and test.

thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Andres

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Andres,

Thanks, I did few more tests on your end and can indeed see the issue happening but no matter what I try Snapshot is not blocking updates on my installations.

Could you provide us with FTP or cPanel access so I could get one of our second level support dev guys to check this out and see what might be causing it?

You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ and the template below:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic so it doesn't go back to forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login url
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Aroque

if the plugin Snapshot is installed and active, I can not install or update any other plugin, the error is also shows in Defender / DASHBOARD / BLACKLIST (cURL error 77: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?))
    did you try to install some plugin from my backend? for example this GOOGLE ANALYTICS +

regards,
    Andrés

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Andrés,

I did install one of our plugins, a login redirect one, since it's lightest of the bunch.
    I just installed older version and tried to update it with and without Snapshot so I could see the issue first hand.

Even though I can see the issue on your end I couldn't find any information about what's causing it or replicate it on my end.

Could you follow instructions from my previous comment so we can investigate this further?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Aroque,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

It's been quite hectic in our forums these last days so please forgive my late reply here.
    Unfortunately there isn't any hotfix provided/implemented yet for your issue.
    I already contacted our dev team again on this though, so you'll get notified pretty soon about it.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Joe!

The plugin itself is compatible with 4.7 and if you are experiencing the issue with WP Smush Pro blocking any updates that has to do something with specifics of particular setup (e.g. server/PHP configuration or an issue that reveals itself only with certain other plugins active) and it would have to be investigated separately. If you wish us to check/test it please start a separate thread of your own here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Joe,

We have number of installations running Snapshot on WP 4.7 and we're unable to replicate the issue on any of the sites, however the report for this is still open and hopefully developers will be able to get to the bottom of this soon and pinpoint the cause of this on certain installations like yours and Andrés'.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Michael,

hope you're doing good and appreciate the feedback here! :smiley:
    Even though it's still something that I can't reproduce! :confused:

I've already updated our bug report about your case, me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted here as soon as we've got some valuable feedback.

Take care,
    Dimitris

• Lindeni Mahlalela
    • Recruit

Hello Aroque

I hope you are doing great today and I am sorry for the delayed response from our side. I am sorry you are having issues with our plugins and I would like to help resolve those issues.

Before I do anything, I would like to know if you still need help with this or it was resolved by updating the plugin to the latest version which has improvements and bug fixes. Please confirm if you still need help with this, if you still do then please grant support access so I can have a closer look at your setup.

This also includes you Joe and Michael, if you still have the same issue please let us know.

Once I have your confirmation and access I will continue troubleshooting.

Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

• Lindeni Mahlalela
    • Recruit

Hi Aroque,

I hope you are doing great today. I am sorry you are still having this issue even now.

I have looked into your setup and tried updating a WordPress plugin and I got that error. I have done some research and found that this issue is more related server configuration. The Snapshot plugin seems to be an issue because it uses the 'curl' library a lot for its own functions like the remote destinations for backups.

libcurl performs peer SSL certificate verification by default. This is done by using a CA certificate store that the SSL library can use to make sure the peer's server certificate is valid. The error message displayed by your website suggests that the Path to the CA Certificate in the host server is invalid or has wrong permissions. In this case you can ask your host to check if the file exists in the server's CA certificate directory and actually does have the correct permissions.

From the host's side, this can easily be solved by restarting web server software like Apache, upgrading PHP or installing the ca certificate again. You should try to contact your host or if they have multiple PHP versions you can choose from, then please choose a much recent PHP version for your website and that should fix the issue for you.

You may send the following to your host:

Hello,

I am having issues updating plugins on WordPress, I get the error: cURL error 77: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)

I was advised to try the following:
    -restarting apache
    -upgrade to a recent PHP version
    -checking the permissions on the directory that holds the CA certificates for the server.

Please help with this.

If that does not help, we will be happy to investigate further and see what we can do. Please let us know if you receive a response from your host.

I hope you enjoy your day further.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.