Update Fatal Error message

Hello: I uninstalled the plugin and reinstalled and I get this fatal error message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare admin_ads_output() (previously declared in /home/buywebst/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/admin-ads.php:39) in /home/buywebst/public_html/wp-content/plugins/admin-ads/admin-ads.php on line 64

How do I correct this issue?

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@randit
    The mu-plugins/ folder is a special folder where plugins are permanently activated.
    The plugins/ folder is where you can select to activate or deactive plugins.

So, you have the plugin activated twice. Either delete the plugin from the mu-plugins folder or deactivate the plugin in your admin plugins which will deactive the plugin in the plugins folder.

The question is which is the newer version?

I know it's confusing. mu-plugins is Must Use plugins http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/the-mu-plugins-folder/

That should clear up the errors,

Jonathan

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

Like Jonathan is saying, you have the plugin installed in both /mu-plugins/ and /plugins/. The plugin was recently changed from being in /mu-plugin/ by default to /plugins/ so you should remove the version that you currently have in /mu-plugins/. If you have the update notification plugin it will alert you if you need an upgrade.

• randit
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Your right... I am so confused. I deleted from the mu folder. The plugin still appears in network-dashboard with the previous version. It does not show up in my site plugin admin. I am sure this is easy, but I am very confused. Originally I added it to /wp-content/plugins/ folder according to the install instructions. I also tried to update the admin tags plugin and same problem. Now the admin tags plugin is completely missing from my mu plugin folder. Hope you can help me "get" this. Thanks so much.

• randit
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@qlof Hello again: I have deleted from the mu plugin folder file and added to the plugin folder and still get this message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare admin_ads_output() (previously declared in /home/buywebst/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/admin-ads.php:39) in /home/buywebst/public_html/wp-content/plugins/admin-ads/admin-ads.php on line 64

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@randit,

I just went into your mu-plugins folder (you should really drop a index file in there :wink: to keep people from seeing what you've got installed and running ) anyways I see you still have the file admin-ads.php
    so using ftp or something go to this file
    /home/buywebst/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/admin-ads.php and delete the admin-ads.php
    According to qlof who seems to know the plugin - This is the file you have to delete :wink:

Hope that helps,

Oh, the index file, in case you ask. just grab the one from your plugins folder and copy / paste it in. So when a user browse's to your folder he doesn't get a directory of all the files in the folder.
    Jonathan

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Seems like you've got some good advice there.

Considering your other issues from the other thread it might be wise to remove the plugins you've already installed and re-install them, following the instructions on the plugin page itself to make sure you have each one installed in the right area.

Just reply here if you need any more guidance.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.