Update Issues

I updated the plugin about an hour ago and quit my browser/logged out of wp-admin. I quit and tried to reload with various browsers and I couldn’t get my self-hosted site to load at all, it would just hang. I also couldn’t login to my wp-admin for the site, same hang. I went into /wp-content/plugins/ folder through ftp and deleted the “sharebox” plugin and the site immediately loaded and I was able to login to wp-admin instantly as well. I want to reinstall the Floating Social plugin, but want to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

Does anyone have any idea why this may have happened? Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey glutenfreeviews.

I have some decent size installs and I’ve honestly never seen this plugin make it hang. Perhaps when you deactivated it cleared some cache. Do you run any cache plugins?

Making changes would help to flush that out.

Usually though if there is an issue with load times you would get a PHP timeout error or a memory error.

Could you please check your errors logs to see if there is something reported in there. It may help us in finding the cause for this issue.

Take care.

• glutenfreeviews
    • New Recruit

I’m not running cache plugins right now. Looking at my error logs via ftp again (@ root) the last error is from yesterday:

[29-Jan-2012 11:53:23] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM wp_options WHERE option_name = ‘_transient_doing_cron’ LIMIT 1 made by _get_cron_lock

But I’m pretty sure that was related to a back-up yesterday where I disabled a variety of things for a minute.

There are no other errors listed after that. Doing a google news search for wordpress I found this little tidbit from a few hours ago:

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2142424/wordpress-targeted-malware-attack

I was thinking it maybe had something to do with this… ? Either way, I got things working right now and can continue on and I think I’m going to try to reinstall it and see what happens.. I’m a glutton for punishment.

Thanks for your help!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Not sure if the v3 article is a specific exploit in WP or with plugins and themes used on WP… I would have to do a little more research into it to know for sure.

I would clear the logs for now and then try again. If it happens again then ask your host to check what processes are being run. Also give it time to run if it still is, so that it might timeout. Perhaps even drop us a link so we could also see if thats at all possible?

For the MySQL issue:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

The most common reason for the MySQL server has gone away error is that the server timed out and closed the connection.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care.

• glutenfreeviews
    • New Recruit

Well I reinstalled/reactivated it and everything appears to working fine. I disabled my other social plugins thinking that might of been it, but re-enabled them and everything is still good. I appreciate the help and your time helping me here, i’ll read through that link too..

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

No worries, glad I could help you.

Lets hope it was just some one off weird browser cache type issue. It wouldn’t be the first time I’d have come across such an issue. :slight_smile:

If you need anything else then please feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.