"Update Network" in Admin Panel for Multisite

What is the "function" or "reason" for the update network option available in the admin control panel of a network? If you update an installed plugin then this is the only instance and why should the network now be updated? Is this left over from something or does it have actual value?

Sorry if that seems obvious :slight_smile:

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@LPH,

If you were able to sort things out on this one, its really good. I am gonna mark this one as resolved, if you still have questions on the same, please feel free to post it here and mark the topic as not resolved.

Cheers
    PC

• LPH
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi

Actually my question stands. Under the updates menu on wp-admin/network/ of a multisite - there is updates. What is the purpose of that update? If there is one common set of files and the WP is updated or a plugin is updated then is it necessary to push that button?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there LPH.

What is the purpose of that update?

The purpose of the update depends on the actual update.

It could be a feature update, a bug fix, a security fix, a cosmetic fix. It all varies.

If there is one common set of files and the WP is updated or a plugin is updated then is it necessary to push that button?

Not sure I fully understand?

All updates should just update all your files to the latest release of any given plugin or theme.

Thanks.

• LPH
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Timothy - I think you misunderstood my question.

For enabled multisite, under /wp-admin/network there is an option labeled "available updates" ... using this one can update the plugins. That's obvious.

Below the "available updates" is an option titled, "Update Network."

What is the purpose of that ? After all, if you just updated through the "available updates" then why is there another place? I have noticed that alerts for updates being needed disappear after using the "Update Network" but otherwise ... what's the purpose?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings LPH,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.