update not loading

having trouble updating the theme. It won't do it automatically and seems I need to download and then upload this file. Still not working. What do I need to do?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Msglobetrotter,

Which version does it say you're using and what version is it asking you to upgrade. I haven't see this issue - but older versions did not have the ability to auto-upgrade so you may have to download and then upload it via the wp-admin or ftp.

Let us know.

Thanks!

• Msglobetrotter
    • Flash Drive

I have 2.1.6..and I need 2.1.7

I have actually downloaded the Nelo-upgrade and then loaded under wp-content/themes/nelo..
    It is saying it can't be found..so maybe I put it in the wrong place?
    All my other themes can be upgraded thru the super admin site. How come Nelo is dif?
    Thanks!
    L

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya L,

That is definitely odd. All of our themes are installable in exactly the same way. To be sure I went and downloaded a fresh copy. Then on my install I went to Network Admin>Themes and deactivated and then deleted the currently installed copy of Nelo.

Then I clicked Add New and the 'upload' tab and selected the zip file I downloaded from here. Everything went smooth with the site now using 2.1.7.

You aren't using a child theme by any chance are you? The child theme would still say 2.1.6 even though you're using 2.1.7 as the parent.

Thanks!

• Msglobetrotter
    • Flash Drive

nope. No child theme. And here is a shot of what it is saying.
    When I click the "download" it takes me the Nelo site on WPMUdev. I 'download'... then upload this file to my hosted accnt under wp-content/themes/nelo. I see that it is there. Yet...it is still asking me to upgrade.
    If I delete the nelo theme and re-install, will I loose what I've done on that theme?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

I 'download'... then upload this file to my hosted accnt under wp-content/themes/nelo. I see that it is there. Yet...it is still asking me to upgrade.

Are you uploading the zip file via ftp? You'd want to unzip the file first, then upload the new folder to wp-content/themes/

If I delete the nelo theme and re-install, will I loose what I've done on that theme?

You would lose any code edits that you've done - but not theme options. Deleting it works the exact same way as overwriting the files via ftp. We always recommend that if you're going to customize a theme via code edits, to do so within a child theme. This way, you can update the parent theme without fear of losing customizations.

Let us know!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya

As we haven't heard anything for awhile on this one I'm marking it as resolved. Should ya have the need for further instruction, please 'reopen' this thread and we'll continue to take a look.

You can always alternatively open up a new thread.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.