Update Notifications (Beta)

Hi Guys,

Our new update notifications system is ready for a bit of testing before we make it officially available.

For those wishing to help us test the system version 1.0-beta is attached to this thread. Just follow the installation instructions included in the zip file like you would for any other plugin.

Now, the system requires us to update each and every one of our plugins and themes with an identification code.

As of now (for this beta trial) we’ve updated the following plugins with the codes:

1) Admin Message – 1.0.9

2) Ad Sharing – 1.1

3) Post Indexer – 1.0.6

4) Comment Indexer – 1.0.3

5) Recent Global Posts Widget – 1.0.1

6) BP Magazine Theme – 1.0.2

You’ll need to be running one or more of these at the version listed (or higher) in order for the updates system to detect the plugins/themes.

Please provide feedback or ask questions in this thread :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Andrew

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Considering folks have been asking for this for over a year, I’m rather surprised no one has stepped up.

It’s like the credit card machine at the Salvation Army kettle. Folks have been asking for it for years multiple times a day, I finally get one and it gets used *1* time and that’s for a buck.

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

OK… I installed notifications on our test site running WPMU 2.8.6. and updated post indexer, comment indexer and admin message all to the versions shown above. But I am not noticing any messages in the dashboard, nor any new admin tabs.

Am I missing something? How does it notify? Does it show current versions somewhere? Or does it only do so once another update comes out?

Glad to help test in any way I can.

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

Got it! Was looking for “Update Notifications” … must need more coffee. :-

“WPMU Dev” menu shows only Post Indexer 1.0.6 under installed plugins even though I have updated Comment Indexer to 1.0.3 and Admin Message to 1.0.9. Hope this helps.

PS: Ability to collapse the “Recently Released” panels would be nice. And I wonder if the menu tab will update with a red number – like plugins, comments tabs do – when updates are available.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hey guys,

I downloaded this plugin and installed it to my local install. I’ve got wpmu 2.9-rc-1 with buddypress 1.3 so it’s pretty bleeding edge stuff.

After installing the updater plugin and other plugins listed in the first post, I don’t see any information in any of the sub-content areas. Recently Released Themes, Plugins, and Installed Plugins/Themes are all showing as empty.

I have bp_magazine_theme 1.0.3 installed and active on my site. The newest version listed on this site is 1.0.4. Nothing shows up under “Site Admin>WPMU Dev”.

I also notice that in the original post you mention Admin Message – 1.0.9, but the newest version listed in the plugin section is 1.0.8 – unless I’m missing something (always possible).

Anyway, I also have the Ad Sharing 1.1 plugin installed. It’s the most current, but also doesn’t show in the WPMU Dev area.

I’m glad to see this plugin coming along. Let me know what other information I can provide to get it running correctly.

Also, is there anyway to have a “Check Now” button or something in addition to the every 12-hrs thing?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

btw. is it only checking for stuff installed in specific directories? i.e. mu-plugins?

I run some plugins out of other folders, i.e. some plugins that only run in the administrative (aka back side) side I have stuffed into a admin-plugins folder so they are only loaded in the back end. would those be detected too?

To give you an example, plugins that change/modify the dashboard or the admin menu are inside this folder….

would be nice if they would be caught too :slight_smile:

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

I run some plugins out of other folders, i.e. some plugins that only run in the administrative (aka back side) side I have stuffed into a admin-plugins folder so they are only loaded in the back end. would those be detected too?

I’m afraid not. It will only be looking for plugins in the standard plugin directories.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hi Guys,

Attached to this thread is a second beta. The major change is with the security checks. I think they were far too strict the first time around. So they’ve been modified a bit. Also, now that this site is on a faster hosting solution the experience should be better all around.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.